Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kreb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have an interview next week and My concern isn't underdressing but overdressing. I was due for a new suit anyways so my wife and I went shopping last night.

Is a three piece suit with a pocket square too much? Nothing flashy with the pocket square just something simple.

Members don't see this ad.

Business formal. No such thing as overdressing for a grad school interview these days...

I'm wearing a full tux with tails. :penguin:

Actually I was just looking for an excuse to use the penguin emoji.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about for women? Blazer and blouse with dress pants?

I wore a pant suit. Others wore a skirt suit. I didn't see any dresses on my interview day and would caution with that.

I wouldn't wear a dress, I don't own a pantsuit however.

What about a solid black dress instead of a skirt suit?

The only way I would recommend wearing a dress is if the straps are wide, no cleavage is visible and the length is almost to your knees or the same length that a skirt suit would be. I would also still wear some sort of cardigan or appropriate cover as well. Be as conservative as possible was the advice I was always given.

Reactions: 1 user
to be honest I would say invest in a skirt or pant suit. you have no idea how conservative an interviewer may or may not be, so always be mindful of that. I would still recommend getting a jacket or cardigan to wear over your arms if you go that route. People in class have worn dresses for presentations, but for the interview, everyone wore a pant or skirt suit. It just looks more professional imo, especially since some dresses can be clingly and too form fitting

Since I have been in pt school, I have seen countless interviewees in the cafe after their interview, and I can tell you that 99% of females wore either a pant or skirt suit.

Last edited:
How do I formal shoes if it's winter? If there's a campus tour, walking outside, maybe snow?

I would go for nice warm and waterproof boots that are still professional looking.