Interview attire

Started by Kreb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kreb

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have an interview next week and My concern isn't underdressing but overdressing. I was due for a new suit anyways so my wife and I went shopping last night.

Is a three piece suit with a pocket square too much? Nothing flashy with the pocket square just something simple.
 
Business formal. No such thing as overdressing for a grad school interview these days...
 
I'm wearing a full tux with tails. :penguin:

Actually I was just looking for an excuse to use the penguin emoji.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wore a pant suit. Others wore a skirt suit. I didn't see any dresses on my interview day and would caution with that.
 
The only way I would recommend wearing a dress is if the straps are wide, no cleavage is visible and the length is almost to your knees or the same length that a skirt suit would be. I would also still wear some sort of cardigan or appropriate cover as well. Be as conservative as possible was the advice I was always given.
 
to be honest I would say invest in a skirt or pant suit. you have no idea how conservative an interviewer may or may not be, so always be mindful of that. I would still recommend getting a jacket or cardigan to wear over your arms if you go that route. People in class have worn dresses for presentations, but for the interview, everyone wore a pant or skirt suit. It just looks more professional imo, especially since some dresses can be clingly and too form fitting

Since I have been in pt school, I have seen countless interviewees in the cafe after their interview, and I can tell you that 99% of females wore either a pant or skirt suit.
 
Last edited:
How do I formal shoes if it's winter? If there's a campus tour, walking outside, maybe snow?