Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cindy82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What kind of attire would you recommend for female interviewees?
Is it true that skirt suit is better than pant suit at interviews, because I really prefer wearing pant suit.

Thanks for any imput.

Members don't see this ad.

I was also more comfortable in pants so that's what i wore to all of my interviews. Plus, it was practically winter and could not bear to wear a skirt in such cold weather. It worked out just fine.

the way i c it.. you can never fail an interview with a pant suit on, for the females... thats what i plan on doing... that and the fact that, the majority of the interviews prolly come in fall/winter, unless its cali, in which case... hey, ya never fail with pants...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I saw any of the women in my interviews without pants - it looks quite classy. I don't think you can go wrong with pants.

I wore a suit with pants. I didn't see many skirts.

Jessica

If any females need a mini pre-interview, you are welcome to page me :), only mini skirts allowed.

Good luck everyone on 2005 cycle!

I wore a suit w/ a nice shirt and tie. There were a few guys at my interviews who only had khakis and a shirt/tie on, they all got into the schools, so I don't think it's a huge deal as long as you're confident. Along w/ the miniskirts, I would reccomend wearing a thong to the pre-interview, if you're going to see DDS2BE... just a suggestion..

Professional attire is a must! Make a good impression and make the person you are meeting with think, by your physical presentation, that you are serious about entry to their program. Khakis are considered casual attire as are golf shirts. Definitely go for suits (women, panted or skirted suits are fine - mini skirts are not professional and underwear is just that - if you want it to show - wear it to the bar and not an interview/men, dress pants, dress shirt, tie and suit coat).

My two cents.... :luck:

i think pant suits are becoming more and more acceptable for everything, so i doubt wearing a pant suit for cause any problems, unless you're interviewing with 80-year-old men in the south. if the pant suit makes you feel more confidant, i'd so wear it. of course, this is just general advice, and i know nothing in specific about dental school interviews.

Hey,
I think a pantsuit is fine-and a skirt is fine as long as it hits at least the knees. Nothing shorter than that. And you should be wearing pantyhose!! I wore mostly a skirt to my earlier interiviews b/c it was still freakishly warm and I would have melted in a pantsuit (and it was cuter too!) :laugh: I saw equal amounts of girls wearing pant suits and skirt suits. Limited has really cute sets. And you probably know to stay away from crazy heels. You will probably be doing a good amount of walking during the tour portion so keep that in mind.

Wear what will make you comfortable. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK INTERVIEWING! It's fun to visit the schools and meet other students. :luck:

I actually did not wear a suit to any of my interviews, mostly b/c my suit pants are all very itchy. i don't think it hurt my chances b/c i looked very good in my navy blue khakis and white shirt and tie. i also wore my predental ring -a 16 dollar affair i picked up on state street in madison wisconsin. too bad nobody asked about it... :( in short, i would suggest looking professional and acting like it too!

as far as the pre-interview..... a thong's a given, and confidence is optional, but ya can't forget the highheels and hot pink lipstick if you want eyebrow arousing marks!! ;)

i couldn't get away with a skirt even if i tried.
i'm way too accident-prone, and it's just a matter of time before i get a run in my hose, and end up having to take the frickin thing off. No way does that getup look professional anymore. In general, though, i guess it depends on what you're most confident and the least self-conscious in-- and i'm not talkin bout hoochie wear!!! :laugh:

i only had two interviews. one at UF and the other one at UCSF. San francisco was freaking cold however, the majority of girls had skirts on. there was one girl with a very short skirt on but she had black tights on. there was actually a girl in boots and jeans in totally casual outfit.
In UF, the weather was not as cold and even more people had skirts on. i guess both would be ok. go with something u feel nice and comfortable in.
good luck to all this year's applicants.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Now I feel better about wearing a pant suit to the interview. I was really puzzled at why some people insist that women should wear skirt at interviews.