Interview attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but what do women wear? Does it always involve a blazer? Can it be a dressy skirt and top?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Stupid question, but what do women wear? Does it always involve a blazer? Can it be a dressy skirt and top?

Thanks.

if at all possible..women should dress as conservative as possible for an interview. Meaning a professional suit with skirt that comes just below the knee or dress. I think its perfectly acceptable though to wear a pant suit. Dressy skirt and top should be fine..i'd make sure that the skirt and top are solid professional colors such as a black pencil skirt and button down top. No matter what you wear, just look sharp and you will be fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what I am gonna wear, a pencil skirt suit, but I can't decide on the color of the shirt under the suit. I have white, cream, and different shades of blue, but I have no idea which one to choose. Ohh... if all my problems in this application were just how to choose the color of a shirt...:rolleyes:

I'm wearing a pant suit. I don't look good in long skirts at all, just not flattering. I feel much more confident in a pant suit. It's real nice though, so I'm happy.

Well, I'm including pink in my attire. ;)

But other than that, yes, go with the suit (pants/blazer). It's an unspoken dresscode...nobody will tell you that you have to wear them, but you pretty much have to wear them.

Are we allowed to bring some type of briefcase or bag (not backpack, a nice bag) to hold items that they give us and other things that we might need (water, kleenex, etc)?

i am sure you are allowed to bring whatever type of bag you like. as a female, i think you'd look silly without some kind of bag! at least i would, and i'd feel lost, where would i put my keys, lipgloss, sunglasses, tissues, etc etc. i am not sure what bag i am going to bring. i would like a slim tote or briefcase, like you mentioned as well.

let me know if u find anything cute ;)

for the ladies out there, how many are wearing skirts? pants? i'm not sure yet myself. i'm hoping for a NYCOM interview, which don't start til november-ish, so i may lean towards pants for that one.

I have both a skirt suit and pants suit, although I will attempt to wear my skirt suit to as many interviews as I can. If it becomes too cold, then I will switch to the pants, but I want to stick with the skirt.

I will be bringing a small coach purse with me, as well as a black portfolio for papers.

I love my outfit, I'm excited for my interviews just because of my attire.
:laugh:

Thats what I am gonna wear, a pencil skirt suit, but I can't decide on the color of the shirt under the suit. I have white, cream, and different shades of blue, but I have no idea which one to choose. Ohh... if all my problems in this application were just how to choose the color of a shirt...:rolleyes:

Ema, go with the blue shirt..i think it looks really sharp underneath a black skirt suit! That's what i wear for interview. Also, i think a deep/dark pink shirt would go nicely underneat a suit..it's bold but not overwhelmigly distracting :) Ann Taylor has some nice quality button-down shirts...their suits fit very well too :)

i am sure you are allowed to bring whatever type of bag you like. as a female, i think you'd look silly without some kind of bag! at least i would, and i'd feel lost, where would i put my keys, lipgloss, sunglasses, tissues, etc etc. i am not sure what bag i am going to bring. i would like a slim tote or briefcase, like you mentioned as well.

let me know if u find anything cute ;)

for the ladies out there, how many are wearing skirts? pants? i'm not sure yet myself. i'm hoping for a NYCOM interview, which don't start til november-ish, so i may lean towards pants for that one.

I'm going to be bringing a slim tote. I toyed with the idea of a purse and a portfolio, but I like having my hands free and the tote I can just put over my shoulder. Don't know where you can find one, I got mine from some random store on a random street corner for 80% off, so for a leather bag, I paid about 30 Euro. If it's real leather, I'm not sure, but it looks cute and professional. I would skip the briefcase though, seems a bit too something.

If you'll be interviewing at NYCOM in the winter, you'll definitly want pants, especially if there will be snow on the ground. The people at NYCOM are actually all pretty cool, so I don't think they'll have any preconceived notions about girls who wear pants vs. skirts.

im a guy, but do you think that i would be overdoing it if i wore cufflinks and a tieclip?