Interview before or after Dec 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cariesRbad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an invite to schedule an interview at a school. They offered me dates before and after Dec 1. I asked if I would have a lower chance of being accepted after Dec 1, they said no. They explained that the only difference would be that I would find out sooner (Dec 1) if I interviewed in November vs. December.

Does this make sense? At every other school I've asked, it's always better to have an interview prior to the Dec 1 decision date.

Thoughts? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It might not increase/reduce your chances, but by interviewing earlier, you are competing for more open seats then if you were to interview later. It's like playing 1 lottery ticket or 10 lottery tickets. Odds of winning don't increase/decrease but you get more shots at winning.

I would interview before Dec 1st just for peace of mind in the decision making process: You'll know decemeber 1st (ostensibly) with your other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would interview before Dec 1st just for peace of mind in the decision making process: You'll know decemeber 1st (ostensibly) with your other schools.

Well I have had interviews at other schools that I would rather attend, so I would ideally like to interview at this school in December, that way I wouldn't have to spend the money to go if I got in somewhere else....

But if my chances of acceptance were lower at this school by interviewing in December vs. November, than I would want to interview in November.

Because I would be kicking myself in the ass if I didn't get in any where else and had my interview in December.

Predicament!

If you have the time take the November interview. The "little" bit of money you will spend on your interview will be well worth the price. Yes, you may get into one of the other schools but on the chance that that does not occur you will be grateful that you took the interview. Possibly saving yourself a whole year and several $s. Good luck :thumbup:

I just received an invite to schedule an interview at a school. They offered me dates before and after Dec 1. I asked if I would have a lower chance of being accepted after Dec 1, they said no. They explained that the only difference would be that I would find out sooner (Dec 1) if I interviewed in November vs. December.

Does this make sense? At every other school I've asked, it's always better to have an interview prior to the Dec 1 decision date.

Thoughts? :confused:

what school was this? Pre Dec 1 is always the best option. Esp since December is full of finals. Earlier is better in this case.

It sounds like this is a "safety" school or backup school, or dare I say it, you applied somewhere just for the sake of applying to enough schools.

In any case, for this logic to work and for it to actually be "safe", take the best interview: pre-Dec

It sounds like this is a "safety" school or backup school, or dare I say it, you applied somewhere just for the sake of applying to enough schools.

In any case, for this logic to work and for it to actually be "safe", take the best interview: pre-Dec

Right on. Done. :thumbup:

It might not increase/reduce your chances, but by interviewing earlier, you are competing for more open seats then if you were to interview later. It's like playing 1 lottery ticket or 10 lottery tickets. Odds of winning don't increase/decrease but you get more shots at winning.

odds of winning do increase lol...