interview burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkaz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd check in and see how the rest of you all are doing with interviews. On my last interview (#12) I was so burned out, that I did not even want to get out of bed in the morning. The program was a good program that I like - but I still had to use every bit of energy to get out of bed (in the hotel that they were kind enough to pay for). I have another interview this week (16 total) and it's going to take a lot of energy to make it through all of these. It's unfortunate, as I normally love to travel - and it's such an awesome opportunity to meet colleagues in my field and see new places around the country that I've never been to. But after being out in the frigid cold and getting stranded at airports due to flights getting cancelled due to inclement weather, and having to sit around in the cold waiting for buses (since I don't want to pay so much for taxis)... it's taking a huge toll on me. I'd rather go to my clinical rotations than go on another interview, which is pretty sad. I am still trying my best to smile and be as positive as possible, as I know my interviewers are tired as well of the process, yet are still taking the time to meet me.

I do not mean to sound entitled at all - as I realize the situation could be MUCH WORSE if I were in a situation where I didn't have enough interviews. I am grateful that these wonderful programs are spending their resources and time to interview me. It's a privilege. And I sincerely appreciate it. But it's not like I am choosing to not want to get out of bed in the morning (and no, I'm not clinically depressed - as this is just tied to interviews, not otherwise, as I'm able to get out of bed for getting up to go to my clinical rotations each day). I just tell myself I have to make it though 4 more - but these 4 will be some of the most trying, as they are across the country from me in the coldest weather. (I live in the warm, sunny, southwest, so I'm so happy to come home.) However, a few of the upcoming programs are some of my best training quality programs, so I just have to get through this somehow, as I really wanted these interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Endurance in things like this is part of the skillset you need to get yourself a good spot, in residency (and career). Everyone goes through what you are describing to some degree, but its not something anyone would deem justifiable. Think of it like a Football game -- the teams that play 3 strong quarters and phone in the last one usually lose the game. Best to find ways to push yourself to the end with some modicum of enthusiasm and a Smile on your face because it does matter, plus odds are you will be hitting an interview trail again on the other side of residency at least once more, and so this is a skill worth cultivating.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks L2D! It's interesting that you should mention endurance sports... I have always been the person who had a good amount of strength, but completely lack endurance. I guess I'll have to push myself the same way I'd push myself if you told me to run 3 miles... as I'd much rather lift weights. Good perspective.

I've been feeling burnt out too!! on my last interview I could barely sit still, I was so restless! I think the WORST part of this interview trail is every person asking you every 5 minutes if you any questions. With dinners the night before, breakfasts/lunches, hour long tour and 6 people interviewing total, I just feel like there's nothing left to talk about by 3pm lol. I mean most of these programs have extensive websites and they hand you a binder full of brochures and information sheets the day of. But I don't want to look uninterested or unprepared in front of residents or attendings. And I sure as hell don't want to ask stupid or irrelevant questions. I wish they wouldn't put you on the spot and expect you to always have a question..

But yes my problem could be much, much worse. I'm grateful for my interviews and it has been cool seeing other cities and meeting new people. One of my FAVORITE parts about this is being able to see friends and family. I've only stayed in hotels 2 or 3 times..mostly been spending the night with people I know. I find it gives me a much better idea of what the geographic location is like. I'm able to see actual homes/neighborhoods in the area, get a glimpse into daily lives in the area, experience some of the nightlife/dining, etc. I know its always awkward to ask people if you can crash on their couch but everyone has been more than happy to have a visitor (especially if you bring wine and/or other host/hostess gifts!). I feel so lucky that I have friends and family I could lean on during this difficult and expensive season. I definitely recommend reaching out to friends and family in the places you visit. I myself have hosted a few friends who have come to my city for an interview and it was so much fun showing them around.

I have 3 more left.. 2 this week and 1 at the end of january. Definitely looking forward to spending my weekends at home instead of all this traveling :)

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely burnt out. I've cancelled two interesting interviews at places I wasn't terribly likely to rank highly (my husband would never move there) and have 2 remaining--one of which I'm not really interested in but it's instate so I will go. I think. Pretty much was worn out by interview 7.

I think I am going to break some record. I will be going to around ~32 interviews. I have 5 more to go.... I can only tell you it is very tiring. I pretty much lived in a suitcase for the last 3 months. I have slept on bus stations, airports, rental cars in the cold and ****ty hotels with blood stains on sheets. Eaten my share of stuff from the McDonald's Dollar menu. Still, I estimate it has cost me 15K, so I try to save money where ever I can.

But overall, I love all the programs I have been fortunate to be invited to. So that helps me. However, its hard...
For example:
Does some interviews blend? Yes, but I constantly write notes about each city/program.
Do I forget which city I am in sometimes? Of course, this is a very strange feeling. Thank you for my GPS on my samsung s4.
Have I gained 15 pounds? Yes, because of eating of the dollar menu from mcdonalds to save money. But I try to walk everywhere or as much as I can without getting frost bites.
Do I have foot fungus because I have used so many public washrooms? Of course thats why I carry antifungal cream and apply it everyday.

But you know what keeps me going? I didnt match last year. I do not ever EVER ever Ever want that feeling again. This is what keeps me going and forces me up every morning. Also the fact that I know I am so blessed to get these interviews, because I know many people that don't have this chance. I feel like I have given a second chance, and perhaps my only chance....

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hopefully one of those 32 places will want to have you on their staff!

And don't underestimate the awesomeness of the Dollar Menu! One of the best places for fast, quick food, albeit a wee bit unhealthy...but you can make up for that after matching ;)

Hopefully one of those 32 places will want to have you on their staff!

And don't underestimate the awesomeness of the Dollar Menu! One of the best places for fast, quick food, albeit a wee bit unhealthy...but you can make up for that after matching ;)

thank you. I love the dollar menu. Its so delicious. The problem is that if you eat everyday....you kinda get large. lol. And I really cant afford another suit....5 more to goooooo

thank you. I love the dollar menu. Its so delicious. The problem is that if you eat everyday....you kinda get large. lol. And I really cant afford another suit....5 more to goooooo
God bless you! I admire your resolve.

I think I am going to break some record. I will be going to around ~32 interviews. I have 5 more to go.... I can only tell you it is very tiring. I pretty much lived in a suitcase for the last 3 months. I have slept on bus stations, airports, rental cars in the cold and ****** hotels with blood stains on sheets. Eaten my share of stuff from the McDonald's Dollar menu. Still, I estimate it has cost me 15K, so I try to save money where ever I can.

But overall, I love all the programs I have been fortunate to be invited to. So that helps me. However, its hard...
For example:
Does some interviews blend? Yes, but I constantly write notes about each city/program.
Do I forget which city I am in sometimes? Of course, this is a very strange feeling. Thank you for my GPS on my samsung s4.
Have I gained 15 pounds? Yes, because of eating of the dollar menu from mcdonalds to save money. But I try to walk everywhere or as much as I can without getting frost bites.
Do I have foot fungus because I have used so many public washrooms? Of course thats why I carry antifungal cream and apply it everyday.

But you know what keeps me going? I didnt match last year. I do not ever EVER ever Ever want that feeling again. This is what keeps me going and forces me up every morning. Also the fact that I know I am so blessed to get these interviews, because I know many people that don't have this chance. I feel like I have given a second chance, and perhaps my only chance....

Damn, props to you. Hope you are rewarded with a match.

i'm so lost... why the F are you guys interviewing at so many places? are u doing something competitive, or did u go to school on the other side of the ocean? i''ve only gone to 10. Cancelled 18. i'm fm if that helps.

i'm so lost... why the F are you guys interviewing at so many places? are u doing something competitive, or did u go to school on the other side of the ocean? i''ve only gone to 10. Cancelled 18. i'm fm if that helps.

The guy said he didnt match last year, wants to do everything he can to match this year. I give him credit.

You are also applying FM, you could probably go on 3 interviews and match. Derm? Not so much.

It is easy to be cocky if you are a US grad applying to an easy specialty.

I'm going on 14 interviews and honestly I'm glad I'm going to all of them. There are a ton of places that I would have ranked highly but won't anymore because my expectations fell short after interview day (and the opposite as well...I was surprised by how much I liked certain places). I think its important to go on as many interviews as possible just so you get a good idea of what kind programs are out there! I only cancelled the far away ones ones that would have been really cost prohibitive because I had enough in my geographic region.

I mean most of these programs have extensive websites and they hand you a binder full of brochures and information sheets the day of. But I don't want to look uninterested or unprepared in front of residents or attendings. And I sure as hell don't want to ask stupid or irrelevant questions. I wish they wouldn't put you on the spot and expect you to always have a question..

This is definitely the worst part about this entire process. I always hate the, "So, what questions do you have for me?" line. It's the worst.

I personally think it's just a way for programs to be lazy and not have to think of things to ask you and talk about you. Instead, you have to think of interesting and "good" questions to ask, even after you got an information packet in the mail, browsed an extensive website, and got two faculty presentations that morning regarding the program.

Just three more left...

I think I am going to break some record. I will be going to around ~32 interviews. I have 5 more to go.... I can only tell you it is very tiring. I pretty much lived in a suitcase for the last 3 months. I have slept on bus stations, airports, rental cars in the cold and ****** hotels with blood stains on sheets. Eaten my share of stuff from the McDonald's Dollar menu. Still, I estimate it has cost me 15K, so I try to save money where ever I can.

For example:

Good luck this season! I am rooting for you, let us know where you matched!

Interview 20 of 21 today
Feels like 200. Very ready to be done
Only interviewed so much because I am geographically restricted where I would like to go and am attempting to maximize my chances of staying in a certain radius

I had my last interview today (12/12) and it felt like such an achievement. I am thankful for the interviews I have gotten - I now have been to 10 states I had never visited before! But... I am so glad I will not be flying, taking a shuttle, cab or spending a night in a hotel for the next few months.

Hope everyone finishes interview season strong. and best of luck on the match! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have my very last interview next Monday (13/14), I'm very thankful for the interviews I've received but I think it's time to call it a day. I need to start showing up to my rotation, haha. ;)Good luck with the Match everyone!

I know the feeling :). Hooray most of us are reaching the end!!
sucks that I had to cancel my last interview though :(. tried going there twice within a week and both times my connecting flight was cancelled. I'll take that as a sign and go with the flow

This is definitely the worst part about this entire process. I always hate the, "So, what questions do you have for me?" line. It's the worst.

I personally think it's just a way for programs to be lazy and not have to think of things to ask you and talk about you. Instead, you have to think of interesting and "good" questions to ask, even after you got an information packet in the mail, browsed an extensive website, and got two faculty presentations that morning regarding the program.

I agree completely. I have had a number of interviews where the first thing said when I walk in the room is "so what questions do you have for me?" It's the sign of an unprepared or untrained interviewer. Often these people have never even read your CV as evidenced when they become surprised and interested when you mention something major that anybody who read your CV would have seen. Stuff like that would never fly in the corporate world. When that line is thrown out it changes who is interviewing whom, but the catch is that you can't really ask anything but softball questions or else you will come off badly. I hate it so much. In fact, I got so used to these, that when I recently had a real interview with traditional ice-breaker type questions, questions geared to assess personality, technical questions designed to rattle you, etc, I was completely thrown for a loop and failed miserably because I had become so accustomed to having to carry the thing on my own.

I interview people regularly. I have a stock repertoire of about 30 or more questions I could ask you. Which ones I use depend on how the conversation flows. I have a couple of "anchor" questions that I make sure to ask everyone.

I still reserve the last 5 minutes or so to give the interviewee an opportunity to ask questions.

Believe it or not, it's not because I'm lazy. I am actually trying to be helpful. Some interviewees actually ask some really insightful and interesting questions. Others want to take advantage of the fact that I'm a resident and ask some questions that they clearly wouldn't want to ask the program director - which I'm fine with.

As odd as it may sound, I really got tired of the huge pre-interview dinners towards the end. Too much food/booze....I don't know how I didn't put on 20 pounds.

Well, I completed all 16 interviews. For me, the burnout was worst between #10-13, but somehow not so bad for #14-16. I think at that point I was seeing the end, and so I was able to get through it. The only embarrassing thing was that a couple of the program directors asked me how many places I was interviewing at, so I honestly told them 16. Oh well. At least it's over now. I also took a lot of pictures along the way, which was fun.

Best wishes to everyone!

I interview people regularly. I have a stock repertoire of about 30 or more questions I could ask you. Which ones I use depend on how the conversation flows. I have a couple of "anchor" questions that I make sure to ask everyone.

I still reserve the last 5 minutes or so to give the interviewee an opportunity to ask questions.

Believe it or not, it's not because I'm lazy. I am actually trying to be helpful. Some interviewees actually ask some really insightful and interesting questions. Others want to take advantage of the fact that I'm a resident and ask some questions that they clearly wouldn't want to ask the program director - which I'm fine with.

It's fine, even desirable to ask if you have any questions toward the end of the interview. But when someone leads with that then it screams "I don't care enough about you/your application/this interview to have read anything about you". It's a really bad look- I don't know if those interviewers appreciate how off-putting it is. I'd much rather an interviewer admit that they hadn't had time to review my app and take 5 to do so at the beginning of the interview (this happened a couple times to me)- at least we have an honest basis for conversation at that point.

I can't stand the "what questions do you have for me" line...it's like really?? Didn't you just spend 30 mins going over the program details, followed by a Q&A, where plenty of "gunners" got in the really good questions??? It's like what do you really expect me to ask??? We all know what we really want to ask, "are you going to rank me high enough to land a spot here???" lol

Happy to have gotten as many interviews as I did (16) and Happy to have this whole process behind me...all that's left is certify the rank list and wait like the rest of my crazy classmates counting the days till the match!!!

Best of luck everyone!

As much as I hated the "What questions do you have for me", programs that don't give you that opportunity are worse.
One place I interviewed at had the interviewers talking about themselves/the program the entire time, without leaving any chance to ask questions that actually mattered. Granted it's different when someone is just asking to fill up the interview time, but a good mix is always nice.

Personally, I'd like it if it was made clear that one of the interviewers (the PD) would be open to any questions we have and the rest would just chat. 

I agree completely. I have had a number of interviews where the first thing said when I walk in the room is "so what questions do you have for me?" It's the sign of an unprepared or untrained interviewer. Often these people have never even read your CV as evidenced when they become surprised and interested when you mention something major that anybody who read your CV would have seen. Stuff like that would never fly in the corporate world. When that line is thrown out it changes who is interviewing whom, but the catch is that you can't really ask anything but softball questions or else you will come off badly. I hate it so much. In fact, I got so used to these, that when I recently had a real interview with traditional ice-breaker type questions, questions geared to assess personality, technical questions designed to rattle you, etc, I was completely thrown for a loop and failed miserably because I had become so accustomed to having to carry the thing on my own.
Definitely! I had an interviewer or two that ACTUALLY asked me some standard interview questions and I was so caught off guard by it I actually had to think of answers rather than dig into my brain and pull up the scripted answers I had formulated before interview season started. Of course these were later interviews so after going 10-12 other places first and NEVER being asked a "regular" interview question I kinda forgot how to respond quickly to those and the interviewer was probably like "WTF is wrong with this guy... that's the oldest question in the book??", lol!

As for the "any questions for me"... I got really crusty towards the end of the season and found myself at a place I had already figured out that I wasn't going to rank high so when one of the last interviewers of the day opened up with a "Hi... any questions for me" routine I fired back with "Well... After the hour long presentation on the program this morning that Dr. X gave, dinner with the residents last night, the last two interviews with Drs. Y and Z, plus the extremely well put together website you all have that I spent a lot of time on over the year since I found out about the program I think it might reflect rather poorly on me to actually still have questions at this point and might even look like I hadn't studied up an done my homework and was unprepared and/or uninterested, right? The only question I can think of is "do YOU have any questions for ME?" I think that might have actually perplexed him, lol! :shifty:

Last edited: