Interview chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiaoyi666

The General
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I once heard an admissions committee member say that if you receive an interview by december, as long as you don't punch the interviewer in the face, you're pretty safe. How does everyone else feel about that statement?

Members don't see this ad.

it makes no sense. if you get one interview before december, you'll get in?? wish it were so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I once heard an admissions committee member say that if you receive an interview by december, as long as you don't punch the interviewer in the face, you're pretty safe. How does everyone else feel about that statement?

I agree with the part about being pretty (physically) safe as long as you don't punch the interviewer in the face.

LOL, your chances are better because of the rolling admissions process at most schools, but it's in NO way a guarantee. At ALL.

I didn't punch my interviewer in the face during my Oct 16th interview and I got waitlisted.

So punching is out...what about dropping a deuce on his desk??

maybe by pretty safe he meant acceptance + early in line for waitlist? geez, way to be dreamcrushers:) i guess it would be different for each school also.

Considering schools give about about 3 - 5X the amount of interviews than the number of matriculants I think this would be a flawed assumption. Although I did tell a friend that was interviewing at Jeff to make sure he did better than 2 other people and he'd be fine, statistically. (Gunner, oh yeahz)

Although I did tell a friend that was interviewing at Jeff to make sure he did better than 2 other people and he'd be fine, statistically. (Gunner, oh yeahz)

Pretty good odds if you make it to an interview, then. Do you know how many people SUNY Update, Downstate, and Buffalo interview and approximately how many get accepted?

If by safe you mean only having to beat out the other interviewees rather than the applicant pool at large, then sure. If you mean you are in, um, no. The majority of folks interviewed don't get in. Doesn't matter if it's before or after decenber.

Admissions at SUNY Upstate told us that they had approximately 5200 applicants this year, would grant 700 interviews, and offer about 300 acceptances for 160 openings. They have rolling admissions.

If by safe you mean only having to beat out the other interviewees rather than the applicant pool at large, then sure. If you mean you are in, um, no. The majority of folks interviewed don't get in. Doesn't matter if it's before or after decenber.

Case in Point: I was waitlisted at Temple October 15th.. Interview invite late August