Interview clothes--how conservative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
How conservative do interview clothes need to be? For guys, is it strictly a black suit with white shirt or can one wear blue, grey, cream, etc. shirts with that suit? Obviously, I'm not talking lime green or purple here.
For the ladies, how does this translate for them?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sandg
Hey Everyone,
How conservative do interview clothes need to be? For guys, is it strictly a black suit with white shirt or can one wear blue, grey, cream, etc. shirts with that suit? Obviously, I'm not talking lime green or purple here.
Thanks.

I wore a grey shirt with a black suit. Worked well for me.

Black and cream? I don't that would be a good combination.

During my interviews last year I found several interviewers and Deans/Directors of Admissions making comments about how we all looked like we were going to funerals/wakes since everyone was in black suits. I nearly bought a new suit (in a beautiful light grey color) because I heard this so often. I'd really go for something to set yourself apart (but still look professional)--a bright colored blouse (I switched between purple and pink with my pinstripe suit) or a great tie...or even go for the grey or brown suit.

However, by no means do you need to own a suit. One of my friends wore dress slacks and a nice sweater to her interviews, the other wore a skirt and button-down shirt with nice heels.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sandg
Hey Everyone,
Thanks.

I guess the easiest way to see if your parents and relatives approve something for the interview. However, if they're overly liberal, I wouldn't rely on them.

The dress code is pretty relax for med students, so that's the time you express your individuality. And come on, will dressing like attending a funeral keeps you out? NOPE. Will dressing nicer than an average interviewee alone gets you in? NOT LIKELY

Dress as a professional would if they were going to work. I wore a light grey skirt and suit jacket with black shoes. Another girl had a navy blue pants suit and the other girl had a blackish dress that was rather short. It is a professional career and adcoms are looking to "hire" someone that they could work with as their peers. You have to fit in. Sorry no crazy clothes here:cool:

DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF THE SALESMAN AT THE STORE.

They have never been on an adcom or interviewed for medical school. Follow your gut feeling.

Stay conservative, but not in the "advice column" sense. Just ask yourself, would I expect a doctor from this university to wear this suit to a business meeting?

Your suit should reflect your personality.

I think black is overdone; a dark earthtone, or some variation on black (ie: charcoal, forest, slate) might be better. Light greys aren't so good. For the shirt, white/light blue is only good if you want to come across as a very conservative and traditional person. I think it's probably only really appropriate for Ivy League, 3.7+, 30+, traditional students. If you're more colorful than that, be more colorful than that. If you're so colorful that it might scare an interviewer, well, tone it down a bit.

In the end, I don't think it really matters alot. What matters is your personality and application. However, I stressed a little about finding "the right suit", so will you. Try to relax.

For the guys, visit www.menswearhouse.com. They give the low-down on conservative suits. I think jet black is seen as more of a funeral thing BTW. I prefer a darker shade of charcoal, with some sort of pattern rather that solid. Still conservative. I just got a chalk-striped suit for x-mas and I think it looks pretty sharp!

I'm at a loss for the ladies.

Here's the best advice I can give for a guy.

Just watch Conan O'Brien on TV. Most every night his suit/shirt/tie combo is ideal for any interview or professional setting.

this thread is silly... wear something you feel confident in...if that is black- then wear that, if its pink- wear that...you are not being accepted or rejected on your appearance so there is really nothing you can do except wear something you deem to suit the occasion (something professional)

Dress as if you were going to job interview or work in a professional setting.

Don't stress too much about it (what to wear). The admission committee will judge you based on your stats, experiences, your personal interactions with the interviewers, your demeanor, etc.

Now if you decide to wear a purple polyester suit with a fur scarf, a large hat w/ a single feather attached, carry a cane, have a goatee, and walk w/ a slight limp ... I'm sure you will raise some eyebrowns from students, staff, and interviewers.

I'm a female, but I wore a dark purple dress suit. Everyone else was wearing black and complimented me on my colorful suit. I have 2 acceptances and no rejections from my 5 interviews so I guess it was a good call!

I don't think that the interview is the time to make a fashion statement. I guarantee you that people at the medical school, like everyone else in society, will judge you and form opionions of you based on the appearance you give off. Like it or not, that is largely based on what you're wearing.

You might offend someone with a lime green suit, but you are certain to not offend someone in a navy blue, black, or gray suit. So why take the chance?

As for shirt color, I would go with the classic white or blue. Pick a nice tie that isn't too loud. Make sure that your shoes are polished and that you aren't wearing too much cologne or excessive jewelry. Conservative is the key.

I wore a creme/beige suit to both my interviews and was commented on it constantly! Even my interviewer said it was nice to see something different for a change. Go Anne Taylor!!!!

I think there's more flexibility in terms of suit colors for female than male.

I'll stick with grey, charcoal, black, and the like for the suit/pants for guys...the color of shirt doesn't matter too much though.

i went shopping the other day, and went into this one store, and i saw the cutest suit! it was light gray with pale pink pin stripes, and they had the bottom in either pants or skirt. it was so gorgeous, and i normally hate pink, but it looked professional and pretty at the same time. i loved it, but alas, i don't need a suit because i'm not interviewing because i am only a sophmore.

90+% of the interviewees wear a dark blue or black suit. Just wear that; it makes it easier for everyone. We're already competing in everything-- why do we need to compete in terms of clothing, too? Unless you look horrible in that color or have some other special reason for not wearing it.

Originally posted by musiclink213
i went shopping the other day, and went into this one store, and i saw the cutest suit! it was light gray with pale pink pin stripes, and they had the bottom in either pants or skirt. it was so gorgeous, and i normally hate pink, but it looked professional and pretty at the same time. i loved it, but alas, i don't need a suit because i'm not interviewing because i am only a sophmore.

Hey, if you want/need it, I say go for it. I found the perfect pair of interview shoes when i was a frosh in college. I knew I'd never find another pair of shoes like them so I snapped them up while I could. 5 years later, I have gotten so much wear out of them and they're still my fave pair of heels. And you never know when you'll need a nice outfit/good suit. You could end up interviewing for a summer job where it'd be appropriate to wear it.

Originally posted by jbish
Hey, if you want/need it, I say go for it. I found the perfect pair of interview shoes when i was a frosh in college. I knew I'd never find another pair of shoes like them so I snapped them up while I could. 5 years later, I have gotten so much wear out of them and they're still my fave pair of heels. And you never know when you'll need a nice outfit/good suit. You could end up interviewing for a summer job where it'd be appropriate to wear it.

well, the problem also lied with the cost of the suit. a bit too pricey for me. also, i don't think i would need it until i start interviewing for med school, and what if i lose or gain weight and than it won't fit? but i have a picture of it in my mind, so maybe my friend, who is a really good seamtriss can make it for me, or something similar, fairly cheaply and custom for my body. that'd be nice.

i went somewhat liberal with my dress, in that i wore a dark blue herring-bone pattern suit with a pale blue shirt and silver necktie. had enough color to differentiate myself from the others, but the colors (and lack of patterns) still tightly coordinated enough as to not make me look like a slick businessman or anything. yes, you do have to wear a suit/sportcoat. don't take your chances with just a nice sweater or sweatervest

let me be the first to suggest hunter green

Whatever you do: STEP AWAY FROM THE HUNTER GREEN!!!!

Seriously, wear whatever you're comfortable in that is professional. As long as it matches, is clean, and is professional (ie, no short skirts or hawaiian print), you'll be fine.

(and please do a search on hunter green suits-- this subject has been beaten to within an inch of it's life)

Ain't nothin' but a G thang.