Interview comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I debated about whether to ask this or not, but have decided to anyways so iI apologize in advance if the answer should be obvious one way or the other.

I recently had an interview that went on for a loong time, and afterwards, the interviewer commented that they hoped I would choose their school. The interviewer is also on the admissions committee. Is this basically an informal offer? Or does this interviewer not really have the power to make that final decision, even though they're on the committee? For instance, I know that after an interview, most schools will look over the rest of your application again. But if the interviewer is on the admissions committee, does that give them more power than a typical interviewer?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't mean you're automatically in. But it is a very good sign.

He doesn't have the power to make that offer on his own. There was a thread a while ago about people who have been told something like this by their interviewer and if I recall correctly, most people did not get accepted to the school where their interviewer said this to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
He doesn't have the power to make that offer on his own. There was a thread a while ago about people who have been told something like this by their interviewer and if I recall correctly, most people did not get accepted to the school where their interviewer said this to them.

lol what a downer haha

Take it as a good sign, but realize that if this person is not the sole decision maker, then it doesn't mean anything for sure (i.e. don't cancel all your other interviews :) ).

Yea, I've heard that said to me several times...ended up getting waitlisted. So like the previous poster said, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Hmm thats too bad, oh well :) How good of an indicator is spending a long time with an interviewer?

It's not a definite, but it is a very good sign as the interviewer will be representing you at admissions committee meetings. I had that happen to me at one of my state schools where the interviewer basically told me the whole time that its not a matter of getting in but a matter if I choose to matriculate, and I did end up getting in (the caveat is that my stats were above average for the school, so its difficult to discern what effect it had). I also had that happen to me at a few highly ranked schools but have not heard back from them yet, so we'll see what happens soon enough.

i dont think its a good sign or a bad sign. i think it means absolutely nothing in my experience (lots of interviewers say this to me too)

your job is to sell yourself to the school.....and their job is to assess your candidacy AND to sell their school to you, especially if you are an interviewee. why do you think they give tours, and feed you, and answer all questions, and have admin officials give presentations???

you sell and they sell, if they say "hope you come here" thats just part of the package of the day. no one interviewer usually holds enough sway to get you in like that.

From the responses on this page it's pretty obvious the results are varied. I'm sure it depends on the interviewer and the position/sway they hold in the committee. But your interviewers response is definitely a positive one. I don't think length of interview is a really good indicator, but how engaged your interviewer is with you definitely is. A long interview could mean that the interviewer is trying to feel you out more or it could mean that the interviewer is really interested in you as an applicant. Back to the original question you had; in both instances that I had an interviewer say that they were interested in my attending their school (Johns Hopkins/Stanford), I was accepted. So you never know; I'd take it as a good thing.

To add a bit, the interview was 2 and a half hours long and I wasn't really the one continuing the conversation. It was my first interview so I'm a bit worried that that's actually a really bad sign -- was I just being really confusing and they were just trying really hard to figure me out?

Also, if it makes any difference, which I don't think it does, my interview made that comment after the interview. I ran into them later during the day, made some small talk, and that was when the comment occurred.

Can anyone tell me more about the screening process post-interview? Does everyone on the adcom get together and discuss?

Hey,

So I debated about whether to ask this or not, but have decided to anyways so iI apologize in advance if the answer should be obvious one way or the other.

I recently had an interview that went on for a loong time, and afterwards, the interviewer commented that they hoped I would choose their school. The interviewer is also on the admissions committee. Is this basically an informal offer? Or does this interviewer not really have the power to make that final decision, even though they're on the committee? For instance, I know that after an interview, most schools will look over the rest of your application again. But if the interviewer is on the admissions committee, does that give them more power than a typical interviewer?

It sounds like that interviewer liked you, which is good, but that's about as far as you can take it.

In talking with a Doc that I work with who was an adcom for over 20 years he said point blank, "I don't understand the interview process. It just doesn't make sense. I tell the school they should let one kid in who was great and they don't, then I say to definitely not let this other individual in and they do. Damn process makes no sense." So, what I can gather from that is that one interviewer isn't going to be the deciding factor unless s/he is the dean of admissions.

I don't think you should sweat it, because you've apparently done well in your interview, but you shouldn't pack your bags yet.

I hope you do end up getting in though! :luck: