Interview date selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful Graduate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it advantageous to schedule an interview earlier in terms of admission or does it not really make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are scheduled an interview July-November (basically before December descisions), you are more or less on equal footing with the other candidates. Post December interviews, you will be fighting over very limited spots!

If you are scheduled, say September 30 and someone else is scheduled September 23, that doesn't necessarily mean that the September 23 person has an advantage over you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are scheduled an interview July-November (basically before December descisions), you are more or less on equal footing with the other candidates.
Word on the street is that you should try to have most of your interviews done by the end of October, since November is when they sit down, review all applications and start making decision. Not sure if that is correct.

Word on the street is that you should try to have most of your interviews done by the end of October, since November is when they sit down, review all applications and start making decision. Not sure if that is correct.
Sounds about right!

Most schools review in batches . i.e. the group that was interviewed on Friday has their fate decided the following week by the admissions committee. It's not like they interview all candidates and wait until the end to make decisions upon them.

You still won't know until December 1st, but after that you can find out in as little as 2 days after your interview. Whether you interview in August or November 27th, your chances are the same as far as pre-Dec goes. Some schools don't even begin to interview until October.

Most schools review in batches . i.e. the group that was interviewed on Friday has their fate decided the following week by the admissions committee. It's not like they interview all candidates and wait until the end to make decisions upon them.

You still won't know until December 1st, but after that you can find out in as little as 2 days after your interview. Whether you interview in August or November 27th, your chances are the same as far as pre-Dec goes. Some schools don't even begin to interview until October.

Agreed. I am of the opinion that adcoms do decide to accept a certain number of people each progressing month/review and not just decide who to accept at the end of November. I would suggest to interview earlier rather than later.

Not necessarily. I had 2 November interviews and I heard back from both on Dec 1. Like it was said above, they accept in waves beginning on December 1 and the next wave generally being after the deposit deadline, though not always. Schedule your interviews when you want.

Reactions: 1 user