Interview dates and planning strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice from people who went through the process recently.

What was your general strategy in regards to accepting interviews. It is my understanding that they offer multiple interview dates. When you first start getting interviews is it best to pick the earliest dates or should you pick the later dates? Any advice on this would be helpful.

It seems like there are a limited number of interview dates so it seems likely that there will be conflicts with dates. I am already making a list of which places I will want to go to the most but I just want to maximize my interview potential. I have heard people interviewing at >10 programs and I find that hard to imagine as there doesn't seem to even be 10 interview dates at most programs.

So any ideas on what is a good strategy in this regard?

Members don't see this ad.

Know the dates of your top programs, so when you get offers to other programs, you won't pick a date that overlaps. It does not matter whether you interview earlier or later on in the season. There are plenty of dates to go around, just look at previous interview date threads.

Good luck.

hey - best of luck this year with everything!

like the above poster said, try to figure out all the interview dates ahead of schedule. you can look on SFMatch, look on the website (sometimes they will list the interview dates) or even call the program if you need to. next step is to compile dates of your top choices and see which ones coincide with which, and create a preliminary preference list somewhere so that when you get an invite, you can instantly know which date to choose. Because invites are via e-mail and everybody is so connected these days, the interview dates can go very quickly, like within 1-2 hours even.

Thanks for the advice guys. Getting nervous but also excited