Interview Dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdm2fly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for med school this coming summer. I am thinking of accepting a job, but it does not leave me with much flexibility in terms of hours. There is no work on the weekends. On which days of the week are interviews usually held?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Completely depends on the school. But in my experience its most often Tue-Thur, sometimes Monday and rarely Fri-Sun.

So if you have to work weekdays you're gonna need a boss that will let you off for two days at a time for interviews throughout fall and spring.

Completely depends on the school. But in my experience its most often Tue-Thur, sometimes Monday and rarely Fri-Sun.

So if you have to work weekdays you're gonna need a boss that will let you off for two days at a time for interviews throughout fall and spring.

Agree. :thumbup: The thing I didn't realize going into the process is that while some schools let you pick the date you interview, many schools just inform you that you've been offered an interview on a specific date and expect you to be there. Yes, to some degree those schools might be flexible about changing dates, and hopefully they'd be more sympathetic to someone working full time, but interview appointments go fast....and not all schools are flexible. Just be forwarned. :)

If you're just applying MD, those interview days usually only last one day...so depending on how far away the school is, you should be able to swing traveling after work the day before the interview, and then returning directly after the interview (so you'll only lose one workday). It'll be tiring, but definitely possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, very, very few schools offer weekend interview dates. Mainly because it isn't convenient for physicians and students to be around on the weekend to interview people. Just be prepared to take days off work.

I'm applying for med school this coming summer. I am thinking of accepting a job, but it does not leave me with much flexibility in terms of hours. There is no work on the weekends. On which days of the week are interviews usually held?

Thanks!

Hi mdm2fly. I guess you don't really know about the company environment until you start working there, but it really helps to have a nice boss. I've been very fortunate to have supervisors that haven't asked for a reason when I've left early to get a committee letter from my alma mater or get help with my personal statement, or when I took a day off in the middle of the week to go for an interview. I tried to not take any other time off, and haven't taken a vacation since July. I think most of the schools schedule the interview a few weeks in advance. Good luck with everything :luck: