Interview Dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering when interview dates usually are for US medical schools? Are they in the months of November-December - or later? And when do you usually find out if you are accepted or rejected?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was wondering when interview dates usually are for US medical schools? Are they in the months of November-December - or later? And when do you usually find out if you are accepted or rejected?

Thanks!

Some early birds start interviewing in August (ex. Vanderbilt). I know of several that interview into April. The earliest you can hear of acceptances, other than early decision programs, is October 15th.

Hi guys,

Thanks!
All this really depends on the schools, but in general they begin interviewing some time in late-August or early-September. Most schools let me know about their decision (acceptance, waitlist, rejection) several weeks after the interview. Schools such as Columbia, Harvard and Penn didn't release their decisions until March. If you have a very competitive application and submit early, you should have a fair number of interviews in September and October (unless you schedule them for later).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I believe the earliest interviews are in August but most schools will start in September. The latest schools will have interviews is in May but most will done between January and April. The earliest acceptances can out for any school (besides EDP) is the middle of October but acceptances will continue to go out from this point until the end of summer when people are pulled from the waitlists.

Edit: Just realized we raced to answer the question and produced the echo effect.

Cool! Thanks guys!

If I were to only write my MCAT in late July, hence only get my results in late August, and I submit my applications in late August, would I still get an interview in September?

Cool! Thanks guys!

If I were to only write my MCAT in late July, hence only get my results in late August, and I submit my applications in late August, would I still get an interview in September?

I would say it's unlikely as you have to have your AMCAS verified which could take quite a few weeks. Then you receive your secondaries which you must fill out and schools usually take at least a month to send an invite after they receive your completed secondary.

Cool! Thanks guys!

You can cut time off the process by submitting your application and getting verified before your scores come out. You can also pre-write some of your secondary essays. However, the schools will still not receive anything until late August. Highly unlikely that you would get to interview that early, especially if the school screens for secondaries, because all of the folks that submitted in the summer will be evaluated and invited first.

Ahh ok, great points!

Pre-writing some of my secondary essays is a superb idea!

I probably should have written my MCAT last summer... but oh well! Only fully submitting my application in late August/early September isn't THAT bad is it!? If I have good stats etc...

Ahh ok, great points!

I probably should have written my MCAT last summer... but oh well! Only fully submitting my application in late August/early September isn't THAT bad is it!? If I have good stats etc...

I had average stats and submitted my secondaries mid August to early September. I got one interview in October, 2 in January, 2 in February and 1 in March. I would stay away from submitting that last, as I didn't receive interview invites from schools I thought I would definitely hear from. Though, I guess that's just the nature of the game. Be as early as you can, in my opinion.

Ahh ok, great points!

This has been answered multiple times today. Go look at other threads. I believe YOU have initiated this conversation multiple times today, actually. Go look around, please (even if only on your own threads).

Ahh ok, great points!

Despite what other people may say here, having a fully verified application/prewritten secondaries ready to be submitted in late August is perfectly fine. Especially if you have good stats and ECs, you will be competitive. I wasn't verified until November, and I didn't have any prewritten secondaries... but everything worked out well. I wouldn't recommend my method to anybody who wants to preserve their sanity, but applications received 3 months later in the season than yours should be were accepted. My biggest suggestion is just to get as many of your applications done before school starts (if you're going to be in classes next Fall)... writing secondaries on top of normal classwork was miserable.

Despite what other people may say here, having a fully verified application/prewritten secondaries ready to be submitted in late August is perfectly fine. Especially if you have good stats and ECs, you will be competitive. I wasn't verified until November, and I didn't have any prewritten secondaries... but everything worked out well. I wouldn't recommend my method to anybody who wants to preserve their sanity, but applications received 3 months later in the season than yours should be were accepted. My biggest suggestion is just to get as many of your applications done before school starts (if you're going to be in classes next Fall)... writing secondaries on top of normal classwork was miserable.

You are very much the exception (esp. w/ a 35 MCAT). I have a friend with a balanced 3.9/38 who got only ONE interview (state school/ultimately wait listed) having applied in October/November. Another who applied in September with ridiculous ECs and a balanced 4.0/32 has had 3 interview invites (all wait listed as he interviewed late in the season). Numbers fall after that point. See the graph I posted elsewhere....

You are very much the exception (esp. w/ a 35 MCAT). I have a friend with a balanced 3.9/38 who got only ONE interview (state school/ultimately wait listed) having applied in October/November. Another who applied in September with ridiculous ECs and a balanced 4.0/32 has had 3 interview invites (all wait listed as he interviewed late in the season). Numbers fall after that point. See the graph I posted elsewhere....

I have 2 friends who did the same craziness as I did (one with a 3.9/39 I believe, and one with ~3.5/33 I think...) The high stat one got a ton of acceptances at top 10s, while the other got into an unranked MD program (only applied to lower ranked schools)... I dunno. It just depends on luck and what you want...