Sean Shukoor

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2009
47
0
Status
Hey all,

I just received an invite to Meharry for dec 1, but my dilemma is that I am hoping to hear back from my top choice school on dec 1, which I already interviewed at. I was given 2 dates, dec 1 or jan 24 and I told the lady dec 1. But now that I think about it, I want to switch to jan 24 because if I get in on dec 1, the Meharry interview seems pretty insignificant to me because its simply not my top choice (and also not to mention that I will save some $$$ on the flight and hotel). Anyways, am I right in thinking this way or am I risking it by switching to a later date because if I don't get in, then clearly the people who interviewed before me have an advantage?
 
Last edited:

Rubber Dam Man

protecting you since 1950
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
359
4
Maryland
Status
Dental Student
Hey all,

I just received an invite to Meharry for dec 1, but my dilemma is that I am hoping to hear back from my top choice school on dec 1, which I already interviewed at. I was given 2 dates, dec 1 or jan 24 and I told the lady dec 1. But now that I think about it, I want to switch to jan 24 because if I get in on dec 1, the Meharry interview seems pretty insignificant to me because its simply not my top choice (and also not to mention that I will save some $$$ on the flight and hotel). Anyways, am I right in thinking this way or am I risking it by switching to a later date because if I don't get in, then clearly the people who interviewed before me have an advantage?
If I were you, I would give myself every advantage that I can ... and that includes shelling out the extra $300-$500 to interview their on Dec. 1st. If you don't hear back from your top choice on Dec. 1st, you're going to be second guessing yourself and the longer you have to wait for an acceptance... the crazier you're going to feel. If you do get in on Dec. 1st, wonderful... but don't take away your chances of gaining admission this cycle!
 
Jul 7, 2010
239
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Are your top choice school and Meharry the only two in your equation here? If that's the case, I would definitely hang onto the Dec. 1 interview. You never want to put all yours eggs in one basket, and the cost of a flight+hotel doesn't compare to waiting another year.

On the other hand, if you have already interviewed at multiple places, and Meharry doesn't rank high on your list, then you should feel more comfortable postponing this one. 4+ interviews is a number that gets thrown around on SDN for being the magic number to guarantee at least one acceptance, but take that for what it's worth.
 
Oct 9, 2010
27
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I def understand your dilemma bc I'm in the same boat...they called on Wednesday and wanted to know if I could come on Dec 1st too. What I'm going to do is accept the later date (in January) and see what happens on Dec 1st since Meharry isn't one of my top schools. I doubt they'll fill their class by January anyway and it would allow me to potentially save some money... just a thought :)
 

Lethstang

7+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2009
488
14
Status
Dentist
im in the same boat with an interview on dec 2 while hoping to get in somewhere with my 4 predecs.

ive decided to spend the money and go. this process is an effing crapshoot and you want every chance for a yes that you can.