Interview @ DO = Acceptance @ Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm wondering if anyone agrees/disagrees with that statement.. would someone who is good enough to get an interview at DO schools have good enough grades to get into the Big 4 caribbean schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm wondering if anyone agrees/disagrees with that statement.. would someone who is good enough to get an interview at DO schools have good enough grades to get into the Big 4 caribbean schools?

I knew a guy who was interviewed at a DO school and given the MERP program at Ross

Yes.

I knew a guy who was interviewed at a DO school and given the MERP program at Ross

One could also screw up in a DO school or a MD school, ya knowz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes......One could also screw up in a DO school or a MD school, ya knowz.

I never said he screwed up......he was granted an interview at a DO school and concomitantly a spot in the MERP program at Ross.

Apply, and do not let anything stop you. You can be a great doctor. You bet you can get into the top carib schools, whether you get the interview or not. I believe in you. And, I believe you will not only get in, but you will be a great student and doctor. Best wishes!:)

I know a guy who was rejected from all of the US DO and MD schools was accepted into Ross, Saba and Sgu.

I know a guy who was rejected from all of the US DO and MD schools was accepted into Ross, Saba and Sgu.

There can be as many as 6000 applicants applying to a DO or MD program in the US. Therefore the chance that qualified applicants are turned away at the door is highly likely.

I know a guy who's friend was a friend of a friend that got into a program at XYZ. Who cares? The standards have went up alot in the last few years so if you didn't get into a DO school you probably aren't going to get into one of top Carib schools. Saba had a ton of applicants for Jan 07, you think they are going to take someone with lack luster stats when they could have 30+ MCAT scores and 3.5+ GPA's? Your saying why would someone with those stats apply to Saba of all places? Look North my friend, Canada got alot of really smart students and nowhere to go, 4 or 5 medical schools for how many applicants? So is Saba turning into a mini-Canada? Yup. :laugh:

interview at DO = Inerview at the DO = apply Caribbean and may not get accepted.

The two are unrelated.

You have to apply and wait and see, contrary to what some think, the Caribbean is not a guaranteed acceptance.

Yes there are a TON of Canadians at My school too. Sign of the times I guess.:laugh:

There can be as many as 6000 applicants applying to a DO or MD program in the US. Therefore the chance that qualified applicants are turned away at the door is highly likely.
Yeh, sucks dont it?

I personally would try at least 2 times. Maybe 3, w/ beefed up portfolio.
1-2 years are probably worth it.

yea it all depends on which school u apply to. some d.o. schools have pretty competitive averages but others have lower stats then the big carib schools

Yeh, sucks dont it?

I personally would try at least 2 times. Maybe 3, w/ beefed up portfolio.
1-2 years are probably worth it.

Yeah good idea wait a couple years! :laugh:

Whats wrong w/ one or two years?

Its a major decision!

Id rather pay 25 grand at my state school then the amt at carrib.

I don't necessarily agree, I think it it reasonable that someone may not be accepted to a Caribbean Medical School because the demand is sometimes high, so if your plan is to become a doctor, don't rule out the Caribbean compared to DO schools.

Good Luck

Whats wrong w/ one or two years?

Its a major decision!

Id rather pay 25 grand at my state school then the amt at carrib.

My tuition is less than many stateside schools as is SABA.

Remember many do not get into their state school, many have to take the acceptance out of state and pay 2 to 3x the tuition.:luck: