interview dry-spell?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had submitted all my secondaries (22 of them) by the end of July, and got 4 interview invites in August, none in September, and none so far in October. I was trying to figure out whether the rest of the schools just aren't interested...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had submitted all my secondaries (22 of them) by the end of July, and got 4 interview invites in August, none in September, and none so far in October. I was trying to figure out whether the rest of the schools just aren't interested...

Thanks!

I would just relax for now. Lots of schools interview seasons run through the end of feb/beginning of march. If they're interested, they'll invite you, but there's not too much you can do about it but wait.

If you're really interested in a school and have done something interesting or worthwhile since you submitted, send an update letter. If there are two schools in the same area, and you have an interview at one but not the other, you could also send an "in the area" email describing when you will be there and reiterating your interest in their school. But this is risky, and you have to write it so you don't come off demanding (there's an example of a good email in the georgetown thread, and that person ended up getting an invite soon after, but again, could also negatively impact you). Finally, if you think that there may be a problem with one of your applications, you could call the admissions office and confirm they actually received a completed secondary from you.

Other than those three things, I think best thing to do is just wait, relax, and prep for the interviews you do have.

I fell ya man. I had an interview invite in July, so that got me real excited that a school would invite me for their first interview session. But then I started to get a little down since I didn't receive anything else till the very end of September. That got me a little excited, but I still want more to come! This waiting game is driving me nuts. I check my e-mail any chance I get.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

Something similar happened to me. I had most of my stuff submitted by mid July to August, and got a batch of interviews all in about three weeks in July and August. Then nothing til the end of September/beginning of October. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's unlikely that more than another one or two will fall out for you as the cycle continues. Anything's possible though.

You probably know that four interviews is statistically enough to get at least one acceptance. There are enough people who suck at interviewing to skew the numbers somewhat, so that people with a reasonable app who do a good job with the interview can expect close to a 50% success rate. Make the most of what you have and you'll get there!

Thanks!

Here's what you do -
Take a glass
Fill with superglue

Drink it so you'll stop complaining about something like this :thumbdown:

You have 4 interviews. Some people on here have 0. Some people won't get interview invites until APRIL. Calm the **** down and get some Xanax

It's unlikely that more than another one or two will fall out for you as the cycle continues. Anything's possible though.

Wtf, seriously? Is it really THAT much of a disadvantage to turn stuff in by aug/sep? Jesus...

Wtf, seriously? Is it really THAT much of a disadvantage to turn stuff in by aug/sep? Jesus...

No, I think he just means that if they haven't invited you to interview by now, it's not terribly likely that they'll change their minds.

I think it really depends on what schools you've applied to though. 5 or more of the schools that I applied to still haven't really started interviewing.

many people have zero interviews. you're going to be ok.

people like this OP need to stop. 4 interviews is pretty good especially out of 22. interview invites will come later on too. I only have 1 interview invite which I'm thankful for so far and there are many who have 4. some people w/ a grip of interviews need to really stop complaining about not having enough or worrying.

OP i understand your anxiety but threads like these aren't taken too kindly by an even more anxious group that is faring worse than you. might be a good tact not to air these thoughts too publicly..

No, I think he just means that if they haven't invited you to interview by now, it's not terribly likely that they'll change their minds.

I think it really depends on what schools you've applied to though. 5 or more of the schools that I applied to still haven't really started interviewing.
Exactly, thanks for the translation, I wasn't clear.

I subliminally was thinking North Carolina with OP's nc16 name. The UC schools in Cali can be a bit later than others. If some of them are on your list, you're still prime time with them.

like others were saying, some have 0 interviews (like me) - so chill!!!

It's hard to blame the OP too much though. Sometimes on here it feels like any MCAT under a 35 is just average, and that if you don't get 10 interviews you're headed to the Caribbean. This is SDN, and we're all guilty of feeding the neuroticism. That's just our pre-med nature.

OP, just remember that, in the real world, 4 interviews is well above average. :thumbup:

Yea SDN messes up your perspective- Keep in mind that even though those superstar applicants get 10+ interview invites, in the end they can only go to one school. That means there are 9 interview spots that will open up later. Patience young paduwan.

Thanks!

I am in the same exact boat as you. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just make sure to knock the interviews you do have out of the park.

I'm not sure if I agree that only a few more may trickle in. Maybe there is already one look-over done. But, if you could get 4 interviews already, you may just be sitting in a "we'll see" pile. I would hope you would get a few more as the cycle goes on and maybe some towards the end. (At least that's what I'm hoping since I am in the same position).

And have all your schools been interviewing for a while? I have a couple schools that I have only seen release one batch of interviews. If you have a school like that, don't worry too much.

If you're really interested in a school and have done something interesting or worthwhile since you submitted, send an update letter. If there are two schools in the same area, and you have an interview at one but not the other, you could also send an "in the area" email describing when you will be there and reiterating your interest in their school. But this is risky, and you have to write it so you don't come off demanding (there's an example of a good email in the georgetown thread, and that person ended up getting an invite soon after, but again, could also negatively impact you).

Ha. That was me. And it did work for Georgetown. However, I tried it at another school, and they did not accommodate the request. Not sure if it means much, but now I have no idea if I will ever hear from them again.

Look guys, the interview process makes people crazy. And until acceptances start rolling in I think even those of us who are fortunate to have several interviews are as anxious as anyone else.

When OP has an acceptance under his/her belt AND THEN starts complaining about lack of interviews, feel free to flame all you want.

But some advice, OP....confide in friends and family about your application anxieties. SDN is not the right place to assuage your fears.

It's too random to assume you will or won't get more. You could receive random interviews in February or never hear back from any more schools. I was complete the first day possible at almost every school I applied to and just heard back from one today where other people have been hearing back for the last 2 months even though they were complete after me. So just because you haven't heard doesn't mean you were passed up on necessarily. Good luck to you all.

Here's what you do -
Take a glass
Fill with superglue

Drink it so you'll stop complaining about something like this :thumbdown:

You have 4 interviews. Some people on here have 0. Some people won't get interview invites until APRIL. Calm the **** down and get some Xanax

Didn't sound like a complaint to me. Sounds like he/she is wondering whether or not to stop waiting to hear back.

And i'm in the same boat. Guess all we can do is wait, wait, wait.

I apologized if I annoyed anybody.
I definitely wasn't whining - I'm very grateful for the 4 I've gotten.

I was simply came to SDN to ask if I should expect any more, or whether the schools had no interest. Parents/friends don't get the pre-med process so they can't understand/empathize.

Regardless, I sincerely apologize if my post touched anyone the wrong way.

I got 4 in August as well, and just heard two days ago from another school. Nothing in between (besides a rejection). Hang in there.