Interview Etiquette Question

Started by deleted997355
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted997355

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

Interview question here. If we are asked a question that is out of the ordinary or "deep" I suppose in relation to the typical interview questions asked, is it ever appropriate to say "May I have a moment to think about the question" or "May I take a moment to think"?

Have any of you current dental students done this in interviews? Thanks!
 
Yes. I’ve done this, it’s fine. In fact, one time I probably paused on one question way too long, but my answer was good so it was worth it I guess lol. Got accepted to that school.
 
Yes, I had to request a moment to collect my thoughts several times in the same interview (they had a lot of hardball questions). But they never showed any displeasure in allowing me a moment to think. As a tip, in one of the cases, I knew I needed more time to hash out my thoughts so instead of continuing with the deafening silence, I let them in on how I was breaking my thoughts down by explaining why I was avoiding answering one way or the other, to help me land solidly on my final answer. I think this is a good strategy for also showing them your critical thinking skills in action and so they know you decided against answering a certain way for your own good reason.