Interview etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to interviews. I've never had any formal interviews before, so I need help!

How early should you show up for your interview?
I'm a girl, so I should wear a blazer with a skirt/pants + heels, not too much makeup, hair neat and tidy, right? How formal do you go?
Do you bring a guest with you?
Do you bring a copy of your transcript and resume with you?

etc etc

Clearly, I need all the help that I can get!

Anyone have any good tips for acing interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd show up at least 30 minutes early.
All the girls at the interviews I have been at wore "Girl Suits." I don't know the precise name, but I think you will understand...
You can bring a guest or not, it's all up to you. There isn't much for them to do throughout the day other than to see the facilities.
You don't need to bring any paperwork either, they have everything they will need.

Hey guys,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to interviews. I've never had any formal interviews before, so I need help!

I'm a girl, so I should wear a blazer with a skirt/pants + heels, not too much makeup, hair neat and tidy, right? How formal do you go?

etc etc

Clearly, I need all the help that I can get!

Anyone have any good tips for acing interviews?

Thanks!

I think it would be fine to arrive ~ten minutes prior to your interview time. Probably, it wouldn't be problematic for you to show up at the exact time, but, being a little early, you might get a few minutes to breathe before things begin, helping you calm yourself.

Of course, it would be insane for you to be permitted to have a "guest" sit beside you during the interview. If bringing one helps you feel comfortable, all right, but he or she would wait outside the room while you were questioned.

I'm sure the admissions committee would have all necessary paperwork regarding you. Unless you're asked specifically to bring something, I believe all you'd need is yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least 10 minutes early. 20-30 minutes doesn't hurt though.

Yes. No ball gowns.

Better not to.

Generally no, but it doesn't hurt to double check with the school before the interview. SUNY required a photograph & a copy of your transcript.

I have ankle issues, are flats okay?
Should I bring a notepad to take notes for answers to my questions?

Flats are perfectly okay and so are taking notes :)

I'd show up at least 30 minutes early.
All the girls at the interviews I have been at wore "Girl Suits." I don't know the precise name, but I think you will understand...
You can bring a guest or not, it's all up to you. There isn't much for them to do throughout the day other than to see the facilities.
You don't need to bring any paperwork either, they have everything they will need.
I believe they're referred to as Hillary Clinton power suits.

You can certainly BRING a notepad with you, but don't take notes during your actual interview. That would be extremely awkward. A notepad might be helpful for the financial aid portion of the day, but would probably be unnecessary for your tour (if that's what you meant for your questions).

And flats are perfectly fine. Closed-toe would be preferable.

Men should wear full suits, correct?

Yeah definitely do not take notes during your interview! It's okay to when they are giving you an overview of the school, financial aid stuff, question/answer session as a group:thumbup:

I think it would be indefensible for a school to demand female candidates wear heels.

Men should wear full suits, correct?

I'm sure wearing a suit would be acceptable, but, necessary? I should hope not.

I wore dress pants/dress shirt/tie and was accepted to PUCO. A nice suit probably wouldn't have hurt though. As long as you show that you made effort to look professional and well groomed, I doubt they are too concerned about whether or not you have a suit.