Interview Experience - NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

97thaik

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that this post can help other students who might be applying to NECO get a better feel for the interview!

The interview day was quite long so be prepared. The whole event went from 9:30 am - 2:00 pm approximately. The day began with a check-in with a small breakfast provided. NECO students end up walking around a bit during this time, so actively try to speak with them and have a conversation. They also provide you a folder with information about the school, as well as who you are going to interview with. I highly recommend to read over your interviewer's bio to become familiar with them. Your interviewer reads your portfolio to get to know you, so you should also try to get to know them beforehand as well. It allows for good conversation.

The morning consisted of opening speeches from staff, students, as well as President Dr. Purcell. Then, the interview group is split into two. You either have the first round of interviews or second round. I had the second round of interviews, so while we waited for the first round, our group was led on a tour of the school. The school is absolutely gorgeous and try to ask questions and engage with the students.

I emphasize interacting with staff and students because they are a part of the admissions office, so they often provide feedback on you to the board.

For my interview, I had a PhD professor, which is different because I believe a lot of the staff are actually ODs. It was extremely conversational. I prepared for a traditional interview with the generic questions you can find on most forums: "why optometry?" "what's the difference between OMD, OD, optician?" "What's your weakness?" etc. Although we touched on some of those topics, he never blatantly asked those questions. The vibe was very relaxing and it seemed more like a conversation with someone who wants to get to know you as a person, rather than a job/formal interview. This is what I appreciate about the NECO interview is that they look at you as more than grades and an OAT score. Although my grades and OAT scores spoke for my academic performance, my interviewer was more interested in how my work as an ophthalmic scribe and my undergraduate research would translate into being an optometrist. A portion of the interview was also me just asking him questions about his background and what he does at NECO and I think he appreciated that as well because it showed my curiosity and want to get to know him as well rather than trying to land a spot in the class.

Some examples of things we discussed about were:
1. What would you do if you weren't in optometry?
2. If you began to struggle in optometry school, how would you handle it?
3. As a doctor, how would you convey to patients a difficult diagnosis or a serious diagnosis such as glaucoma, AMD, etc?
4. You wrote "xxx" on your personal essay. Please explain further.
5. After this interview, I return to the admissions committee and I say, "(Name), is..." What would I say to them about you?

As a fun conversation starter, we also discussed the current politics surrounding optometry and scope of practice. I don't particularly think you need to know all the legislative laws or current bills in motion, but I think it helps for good discussion and shows how much you have looked into optometry and the future of it.

Ask questions, keep direct eye contact, and overall, be yourself. Don't talk to impress. What i mean is don't blurt all your skills in an attempt to impress your interviewer. They probably hear many students who work tech jobs, who know how to perform OCT, etc. Instead, tell them about how those skills and experiences have helped you to grow as a person and budding doctor.

The interview lasted for about 40 min - 1 hr and was very fun. I recommend following up at the end of the day with a thank you email to let the interviewer know you appreciate their time. It won't be seen as a "kiss-up" but a small act of gratitude for the experience.

For the rest of the day, we took a tour of the new clinical facility and some final presentations. We also had the opportunity to have lunch with a current NECO student. My friend who currently works in admissions told me that the student during the lunch is also scoping you out. They are trying to get a feel for your personality and in a way "interviewing" you as well. Obviously be friendly and make conversation. Don't just stick your head in your food or be on your phone.

NECO is known as being a fast-acting school in terms of getting back to you with everything. I received an interview invitation 2 days after my OptomCAS submission. I went to the interview a week later and received an acceptance in about 3-4 days due to the weekend and Veterans' Day holiday.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My experience was very similar! I hope to see you at NECO in 2020! :)