Interview Experience & Practical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i wonder how we should carry any documents for the interview should it be file or bag ??

Members don't see this ad.

i wonder how we should carry any documents for the interview should it be file or bag ??

You don't need to bring any documents unless they specifically asked you to.
You might want to have a notebook or something to take notes if you want to.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Carry it in a good File Folder. Be Professional. Look as good as you can be..
Less is More at these times.

mdumb

Reactions: 1 user
I want to share my experience with my interviews while it is still fresh. Might help some people in the future.

I really got impressed with UTHSCSA interview. It was the most pleasant of all. First of all, they call a very small group at a time. That means they give you ALL the attention you deserve. I interviewed with another 7 people. You get there and the director of the program knows you by name before you even introduce yourself. Seriously. He goes through the work of checking your picture before.
We all sit on a table with him, we get to ask all the questions we want. We get to introduce ourselves to everyone on the table. We really get very comfortable with the place and with everyone before the interview, making it a lot easier. Plus, I think the director himself gets to meet us a little better by spending more time with us.
He personally takes us on a tour around the school.
We have lunch with the current students. Get to talk to them and ask all our doubts.

Finally in the afternoon you are interviewed by 2 faculty. They get to interview only 2 or 3 candidates that day. I really think it makes a huge difference compared to certain schools that make one person interview about 10 candidates on a day.

I was asked the basic questions we expect to be asked. Just one person got dental related question. Why move to the US/ are you prepared to become a student again after being a dentist for so long/ what are your future plans/ what were your accomplishments/ how good is your patient management skills?/ what other schools did you apply?/ where do you want to go to school the most and why?/ any questions you want to ask?/ weakness and strengths?

I thought it was great the director really emphasized the importance of having a " whole package". And this is true guys. I still see so many people asking " how much did you get on your national board?" . ONCE YOU ARE INTERVIEWING IT DOESN'T MATTER! you are all in the same level.

The day after we do 2 preps ( gold crown and MO) nduring two hours ( a lot less time compared to UOP) and in a manikin head- they provide everything, including handpiece. You can take your own burs and they provide matrix band and wedges. 4 essays questions ( 2 dental related and 2 personal for English skills/personality evaluation probably), build up of the oclusal surface of a tooth with composite- just adding- removing is not allowed, you are not given a handpiece ( a model is given, so it is not hard at all. Much easier than carving).

Rolling admissions. You are a good fit you get the call on the day after. Or you hear back later, doesn't mean you are not gonna be accepted if you don't hear right away. 10 positions are offered. Cheaper for Texas residents. A high rate of students are later accepted in graduate programs. Students were all very proud of the school, having some great extra curricular exposure also. some however said you can get unlucky with a professor and be stuck with him/her for the entire years ( I guess it happens everywhere). the real down side? Well... It is Texas! How can you compare Texas to California and cities on the east coast? It is so damn boring and hot. But San antonio is cute, close to kind of fun Austin. Plus.. 2 intense years you won't really get to go out and enjoy the place that much anyways.

Anyways. They REALLY impressed me and did a great job. I got to UT with no expectations thinking it would be a good " back up" program if I got accepted. Left thinking it was one of my favorite choices

Last edited:
It was a very pleasant interview. A lot of people all together, a little bit overwhelming. You get to see so many people who are competing with you, makes you a little apprehensive.
They sit you on a table with about 10 other candidates and a current student. so you get to ask all the questions you want. The student takes you to a tour around the school.
Facilities are amazing. you see where all the money of the tuition is going to.
The presentation with the director is very good. He is a very nice man, makes you feel very special by saying we are all the best professionals.
400 applicants. They select 100 for interview. they offer 22 positions.
He explains everything about the program. Great program if you want to be a general practitioner. Bad one if you want to go to a graduate program after. Super expensive school. I guess that is why they gave THE BEST presentation explaining everything about financial aid.

The interview was pleasant. Just with one faculty. But notice this single professor interviews tons of people during an entire day. I just wonder how positive or negative that is... I had a great conversation with him. In the middle of this conversation he would drop questions such as : why dentistry, what are pros and cons of the profession, where do you want to work after school, what do you expect from the program, any questions about the school, tell me about this particular accomplishment in your resume. 30 minutes total.

The day after everyone goes to the lab and prepares the PFM and MO like mentioned before. Very easy. They give 3 hours and table top... A lot of explanations and models. Makes it easier in a way, but harder in another since in the end it is more competitive since everyone knows exactly what they should do. Very detailed explanations, a lot of time and they even mention that in case you do it on the wrong tooth they might consider changing it depending on the case. They offer matrix bands and wedges. You cannot take ANYTHING, they provide everything you need.

I got to UOP full of expectations. I heard it was a very pleasant interview and it was. they met my expectations

Left thinking it would be a great school to be at, just got concerned with the cost/ cost of living and the low acceptance rate on graduate programs. San Fran is the best city in the States though. that was one of the main reasons I thought about this school.

Last edited:
OMG. I couldn't get any more disappointed with this school.

Please I don't wanna discourage anyone to apply here. Every school is a good school and you will fulfill your dreams going there. Be happy for what you get. But I really got sad about UCLA, it was one of my favorite options until I got to the interview...

First of all. We get there for interview. They put us in a very ugly classroom. Gave me a bad impression of facilities, especially after seeing the amazing facilities of UOP and UTHSCSA. the presentation is very simple and fast. Maybe because it is on the same day of the practical exam, no one cares how simple it is because everyone is nervous. But no elaborate presentation like the other schools. No power points. some information is given, we can ask questions, but once again everyone is just worried about the exam I guess.
I was expecting to see facilities.. I was expected to talk to current students. Nah.. They didn't even bother!!!! I have no idea how the clinic is. Like I said, just saw this ugly classroom and this crazy huge old building full of corridors where I got lost.

The exam: mo, mod onlay and PFM. 4 hours total. Plenty of time. Table top.They provide everything except handpiece. You can take all your materials if you want. they give detailed explanation and pictures like UOP.They provide matrix band and wedges.

the interview: you interview with 3 faculty at the same time. they we nice. they were ok and friendly. differently than the other schools, they focus more on each aspect of your resume and question everything about it. I got kind of annoyed with that. Well, I was already annoyed with the impression I was having with the school, so keep that in mind when reading this. They question everything about your fellowships, programs, scores ( if you had a low score), your university, acomplishments... In a way that made it seem like they were trying to find something wrong instead of actually learning the good about me. On the other hand you can really get to sell yourself.

High acceptance in graduate programs after. PASS/FAIL system, some like others don't. I personally do. Apparently because it is in a fancy area they have a hard time getting patients I heard.

And that was it. seriously.

Ok- REASON FOR UPDATING:
That was my SINCERE experience at UCLA. After reading all my experiences one would probably think this was the last school I would choose after being accepted in all 3 of them. And I ended up picking UCLA.
SO I want to share with you all something very important:
there are SEVERAL pros and cons you should analyze when choosing a school. Your first impression might be misleading. So choosing a school simply because you liked/did not like the interview is not a good idea. Even worse would be choosing a school/applying to a school based on somebody else's experience.

Having a good experience interviewing is a plus. But make sure to do a lot of research: talk to professionals, and most of all talk to current students.
I left UCLA full of questions and without talking to one single student. I ended up doing it all after being accepted and my opinion completely changed!
So again.. when interviewing, do not simple answer questions. ASK questions. and A LOT. Because I noticed most doubts come after you are accepted, especially when you have to choose between different schools. Don't wait to ask!
Ask especially current students... After I had all the options I ended up finding out some sad things about UTHSCSA from current students.
SO talking to current students is one of the most important details. And don't ask them about the good.. It is helpful but they are biased. Ask them what they dislike about the school. That is how you learn a lot!

Last edited:
This was my first-ever interview that I had and although I was nervous it was a better experience than I was expecting...

On the first day we had the case study and the practical. They split the interviewees in 2 groups, one half was taking the case study while the other half was doing the practical and then after lunch we switched.
In the case study we were taken into this big classroom and we each had a booklet with the case information - patient info, x-rays, photos and they were also showing the photos on a big screen.
We had 12 questions that we had to answer about the case - no multiple choice, you actually had to write out your answers.

Then in the practical we had MO and 2 PFMs (bridge) in 4 hours, sufficient time I think.

If we passed the practical ( which was the most important from what i understood) and also had done well in the case study, we got a call to come back for a personal interview the next day.

The personal interview was very relaxed, it was more like a conversation and they just wanted to get to know you a little bit better.

I do wish they would have taken some time to present the school to us, take us on a tour and show us the facilities but I guess they don't because of the full schedule of the first day and the numerous candidates (there were about 130 I think). Maybe it will be something they will change in the future...
I did meet a current IDP student and she said she was very pleased with the program and the patient pool and the faculty was really nice and helpful.
All in all, I was left with a really good impression of LLU and I just love the California weather :D. The town itself is really small and I guess there's not that much to do there but then again, I don't expect to have that much free time while going to school anyway.

This was my second interview so I kept comparing it to LLU :)
It was a bit disappointing in the sense that while the personal interview at LLU was so relaxed, the one at TUFTS wasn't .
Actually, the person that interviewed me said it will be like a discussion but it was far from it. I had a lot of questions related to my thesis, my background, my experiences and my future plans and when I said I might be thinking of continuing my education in a residency she asked ' You don't think you'll be prepared enough after having gone through our program?".:rolleyes:

I did like the fact that they took us around on a tour of the school and the departments ( we saw current students actually working on patients and it was like a maze in there :laugh:) and that they had someone come in and do a break-down of the program curriculum so we knew exactly how it was going to be, when we were expected to take the WREB or NERB etc...
Oh and they were under construction, they are adding a few floors where the DMD clinic will be ( and it will be finished before classes start for the DMDs in 2010) so they will have the latest equipment I assume - that's a plus.

Also the location of the school is great and they have a good patient pool because it's in the heart of Boston.
On the downside, it's probably one of the most expensive programs out there and the cost of living in Boston is pretty high as well.

Last edited:

Carry it in a file.
However I didn't take anything with me.
Seriously, it is better to talk then to show papers and documents.
Actually in San Antonio the director even said: please don't take anything in the room with you. We wanna talk to you and get to know you and not see documents and papers!

I agree... Use your timr wisely. You can " sell yourself" a lot better by talking and explaining than by showing documents and certificates.

thank you ilovegoldens for sharing your IV experiences...
esp. UTHSCSA...
Im glad you got into something you liked so much.
Congrats and thanks again.

i want to share my experience with my interviews while it is still fresh. Might help some people in the future.

I really got impressed with uthscsa interview. It was the most pleasant of all. First of all, they call a very small group at a time. That means they give you all the attention you deserve. I interviewed with another 7 people. You get there and the director of the program knows you by name before you even introduce yourself. Seriously. He goes through the work of checking your picture before.
We all sit on a table with him, we get to ask all the questions we want. We get to introduce ourselves to everyone on the table. We really get very comfortable with the place and with everyone before the interview, making it a lot easier. Plus, i think the director himself gets to meet us a little better by spending more time with us.
He personally takes us on a tour around the school.
We have lunch with the current students. Get to talk to them and ask all our doubts.

Finally in the afternoon you are interviewed by 2 faculty. They get to interview only 2 or 3 candidates that day. I really think it makes a huge difference compared to certain schools that make one person interview about 10 candidates on a day.

I was asked the basic questions we expect to be asked. Just one person got dental related question. Why move to the us/ are you prepared to become a student again after being a dentist for so long/ what are your future plans/ what were your accomplishments/ how good is your patient management skills?/ what other schools did you apply?/ where do you want to go to school the most and why?/ any questions you want to ask?/ weakness and strengths?

I thought it was great the director really emphasized the importance of having a " whole package". And this is true guys. I still see so many people asking " how much did you get on your national board?" . Once you are interviewing it doesn't matter! You are all in the same level.

The day after we do 2 preps ( gold crown and mo) nduring two hours ( a lot less time compared to uop) and in a manikin head- they provide everything, including handpiece. You can take your own burs and they provide matrix band and wedges. 4 essays questions ( 2 dental related and 2 personal for english skills/personality evaluation probably), build up of the oclusal surface of a tooth with composite- just adding- removing is not allowed, you are not given a handpiece ( a model is given, so it is not hard at all. Much easier than carving).

Rolling admissions. You are a good fit you get the call on the day after. Or you hear back later, doesn't mean you are not gonna be accepted if you don't hear right away. 10 positions are offered. Cheaper for texas residents. A high rate of students are later accepted in graduate programs. Students were all very proud of the school, having some great extra curricular exposure also. Some however said you can get unlucky with a professor and be stuck with him/her for the entire years ( i guess it happens everywhere). The real down side? Well... It is texas! How can you compare texas to california and cities on the east coast? It is so damn boring and hot. But san antonio is cute, close to kind of fun austin. Plus.. 2 intense years you won't really get to go out and enjoy the place that much anyways.

Anyways. They really impressed me and did a great job. I got to ut with no expectations thinking it would be a good " back up" program if i got accepted. Left thinking it was my number one choice.

thank you ilovegoldens . Ur info is great . God bless u .

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations to Ilovegoldens on your acceptance to UTHSCSA:)...and also thank you for sharing your experience at the interview...this is my first interview....i was really nervous....but after reading your interview experience at texas i am a lot more relaxed...

Hi, ilovegoldens.

Thank you for posting your experience here with so many details. I want to thank g3k also for doing the same. This is a big help and very nice of you two to take the time to help others in this forum. Other than reading it here from you I don't think there is any other place where we would find this information. So, thank you again for sharing with all of us.

In case you had to create a list of schools in your order of preference how would it be ? What would be your school number 1, and number 2, and so on and so forth ?

Have you received the results from the interviews you posted ?

the2thdoctor

OMG. I couldn't get any more disappointed with this school.

Please I don't wanna discourage anyone to apply here. Every school is a good school and you will fulfill your dreams going there. Be happy for what you get. But I really got sad about UCLA, it was one of my favorite options until I got to the interview...

First of all. We get there for interview. They put us in a very ugly classroom. Gave me a bad impression of facilities, especially after seeing the amazing facilities of UOP and UTHSCSA. the presentation is very simple and fast. Maybe because it is on the same day of the practical exam, no one cares how simple it is because everyone is nervous. But no elaborate presentation like the other schools. No power points. some information is given, we can ask questions, but once again everyone is just worried about the exam I guess.
I was expecting to see facilities.. I was expected to talk to current students. Nah.. They didn't even bother!!!! I have no idea how the clinic is. Like I said, just saw this ugly classroom and this crazy huge old building full of corridors where I got lost.

The exam: mo, mod onlay and PFM. 4 hours total. Plenty of time. Table top.They provide everything except handpiece. You can take all your materials if you want. they give detailed explanation and pictures like UOP.They provide matrix band and wedges.

the interview: you interview with 3 faculty at the same time. they we nice. they were ok and friendly. differently than the other schools, they focus more on each aspect of your resume and question everything about it. I got kind of annoyed with that. Well, I was already annoyed with the impression I was having with the school, so keep that in mind when reading this. They question everything about your fellowships, programs, scores ( if you had a low score), your university, acomplishments... In a way that made it seem like they were trying to find something wrong instead of actually learning the good about me. On the other hand you can really get to sell yourself.

High acceptance in graduate programs after. PASS/FAIL system, some like others don't. I personally do. Apparently because it is in a fancy area they have a hard time getting patients I heard.

And that was it. seriously.

I got to UCLA full of expectations. Such a prestigious school. Such an amazing place to live. Got there thinking it would be the only program I would consider trading for UTHSCSA just because I love California, cost is kind of similar and the school has a good name. But left thinking I would be crazy to do so. I had to be really dying to be in California.

In case you had to create a list of schools in your order of preference how would it be ? What would be your school number 1, and number 2, and so on and so forth ?

Have you received the results from the interviews you posted ?

the2thdoctor[/QUOTE]

All the schools in California have an agreement to give the results on the 23rd.
School preference is very personal. Usually we consider : location, quality of the program, focus of the program, cost... So it really depend which of these topics matter the most to you.
So the best thing to do is study the pros and cons of each school and match with your own preference.

I have no idea about any other schools besides the ones I have applied to.

But here would be a list of pro and cons for some schools

UCLA: Pros: famous name/ great location/ high rate of acceptance on graduate programs after you finish DDS program
Cons: I heard it has been having faculty problems ( therefore it is not as good as it used to be- the name is still strong since most people has no idea about this) and because of the fancy location it is harder to get patients/ cost of living is high

UOP: Pros: great facilities, good clinical exposure, great location
Cons: VERY expensive, low acceptance on graduate programs, high cost of living

UTHSCSA: Pros: high acceptance in graduate programs, good balanced program in terms of clinical exposure/ extra curricular activities/ Not so expensive tuition/ very cheap cost of living
Cons: even thought it is an excellent program the reputation of the name is not as good as UC schools. General public is ignorant. So when you say you got a degree at UCSF/ UCLA sounds a lot better than UT to a lot of people, location is not the worst, but not the best

So it is all about what you want for you. Do you feel like you need extra preparation from a school in order to practice here? Choose the best program. Do you feel like you have been really well prepared in your country and you are doing this just for the diploma? Chooose the most famous school you can get. Do you care about having roomates because the cost of living is too high or you wanna live in a place and be able to rent a place for yourself? do you want to get into an specialty program after? Where do you want to live after? Do you care about how much you pay for school?( sometimes the difference can be something like 800$ a month versus 2000U$ a month after you graduate)

these are questions you have to ask yourself. I have been having a hard time myself to pick the schools! So it is a lot of thinking.

These are the schools I got invited for interviews UCLA, UOP, UTHSCSA, USC

According to a dentist in California , he said that if I wanted to be in the west coast after my degree he would recommend this order:
1- UCLA
2-UTHSCSA
3-USC
4-UOP

( if UCSF was in the list he would have put it as number one)

According to HIM (again, his personal opinion) USC and specially UOP has a certain fame such as "You got into school just because you have the money to pay". I guess what he means is that having a public school diploma looks better on your wall
Also according to him , some ignorant people on the west coast would have prejudice when hearing you have a diploma from Texas

But, that is one point of view. I personally am leaning towards choosing UT. I had a great feeling and impression and I do believe in first feelings and intuition. Plus.. I have a hard time thinking about being somewhere new and having to share a house with strangers. I want to be able to live by myself.. and Texas would allow me that. I am still having a hard time deciding since UCLA name does sound good. I'll see

Like I said: it is all about your priorities!

Thanks iloveGoldens .. Your post is really really helpful. Actually I am also planning to apply to UTHSCSA Dental School ( International Dentist Education Program) IDEP Program. Did you go to the interview for admission next year in IDEP. I am preparing for UT houston. What is the Essay question on Dental.. What is generally the acceptance rate. I will post my UT Houston Exp also soon. Just becam member today :D Can you please please shed some light on Essay Question and acceptance rate.

These are the schools I got invited for interviews UCLA, UOP, UTHSCSA, USC

According to a dentist in California , he said that if I wanted to be in the west coast after my degree he would recommend this order:
1- UCLA
2-UTHSCSA
3-USC
4-UOP

( if UCSF was in the list he would have put it as number one)

According to HIM (again, his personal opinion) USC and specially UOP has a certain fame such as "You got into school just because you have the money to pay". I guess what he means is that having a public school diploma looks better on your wall
Also according to him , some ignorant people on the west coast would have prejudice when hearing you have a diploma from Texas

But, that is one point of view. I personally am leaning towards choosing UT. I had a great feeling and impression and I do believe in first feelings and intuition. Plus.. I have a hard time thinking about being somewhere new and having to share a house with strangers. I want to be able to live by myself.. and Texas would allow me that. I am still having a hard time deciding since UCLA name does sound good. I'll see

Like I said: it is all about your priorities!

Is there something we can prepare for personal interview. I know everybody says just be yourself but still..? Any suggestions

Prepare for the preps and also to feel comfortable answering questions such as :
what do you expect from the program, your weaknesses and strengths, why dentistry, etc etc etc

If you are being yourself as everyone says, you will not get nervous and will have a good connection with the interviewer..

@ilovegoldens...
Hey.. is it necessary to take any docs along wid us for the interview?

Thanks you so much Dr. Nehra for the info about UOP.
I really want to go to that school, but unfortunately I didn't even make it to the interview this year. I'm going to prepare better for next year.
Can you give me some advice about what to do to improve my resume??
Besides improving my NBDE scores. :D

Thank you, and best luck in UOP :luck:

My stats:

NBDE1- 95
NBDE2 - 81
TOEFL- 117
GPA- 3.2
8 year experience in India
1 year observership in US
1 year dental assistance in US

Applied to- UOP, UCSF, UTHSCSA, UCLA, USC, TUFTS, LLU, UIC, BU, UPenn, UMich
IV calls- UIC, LLU, TUFTS, BU, UPenn, UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, UTHSCSA
Alternate list- UIC, USC, UCLA
Waiting to hear from - UPenn, UTHSCSA

Acceptance - BU, UOP, UCSF

Going ahead with my DREAM SCHOOL - :love: UOP :love: UOP :love: UOP :love:

Declining offer from - BU, UCSF

Chose UOP because ... just writing it here cuz few members here on SDN sent me PM asking why m I going ahead with UOP?

My explanation:

UOP – :love: :love: Very very friendly, Very stress free, they made every effort to make it a pleasing experience for me.

Pros about the school:

I have been applying to various schools in US since last year. I would definitely preferr UOP/UTHSCSA over UCSF/UCLA. This year, I had interview experiences at UIC, TUFTS, BU, UPenn, UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC and UMich. I got acceptance from BU, UOP, and UCSF till now.

1) UOP's state-of-the-art facilities and simulation lab with high class standard is amazing and the best ever among all schools I visited. Actually, I am from San Francisco and I have friends in both schools, so I have visited UOP & UCSF three-four times before I was interviewed. I know these schools from inside-out. UOP has all recent equipments available and it keeps all departments updated with recent advancements and technologies.

2) Friendly school
3) Every current students seemed to be satisfied with the program
4) Great alumni networking is available

5) UOP's mission is to make you the best general practioner you can be and they work on it really hard.
6) One of very rare schools providing you opportunity to learn 'INVISALIGNERS' - isn't that great and simply awesome?
7) DUAL degree programs available and actively offered (State of the art technology!)

8) They mentor you towards the Regional licensing exam you want to take .. both WREB and NREB!
9) They don’t promise what they cannot do - so, no fake promises!
10) The clinical experience at Pacific truly is overwhelming and mindblowing. My senior friends in the first year (not even completed their first years) have been given 45-55 patients each within a short spam and their second year is yet to begin. So, just imagine yourself.

11) Maximum Faculty number among schools I visited so far - it really makes lots of difference,
12) competency based learning: not limited to pre-clinicals but also extends into the clinic. Clinical requirements are very demanding. If you are not in lectures, you will be in the clinic. If you are not in the clinic, you will be in the lab. So, no free time and maximum use of two year program. (Paisa vasool! - that's what my senior friends said me)

13) All students get to do specialty work - this is unique part about UOP. Even If you want to do impacted molar extractions, they will guide you; you want to RCT molar, they will guide you and let you do it; implants - they will guide you; If you want to do perio surgery, they will guide you..... SO, IT DEPENDS ON YOUR POTENTIAL till what extent you wnat to learn from them.

14) Current students I personally met, convincingly opined me that 'STRONG clinical orientation' of UOP is a major factor in their decision making. UOP has few current students like us who had acceptances in both UOP and UCSF last year and they preferred UOP just because they preferred perfection as a DDS over PG. According to them, the present era is all about dental revolution; UOP curriculum is entirely based on ‘comprehensive patient care’, I guess USC is the other school with same kind of standard but has few drawbacks, so UOP aces over USC. I don't have no plan for PG like my senior friends at UOP, so my goal is that I must know comprehensive patient management and I should be self-confident enough to treat my patients convincingly after completing DDS.

15) Helpful and supportive environment with higher interaction with dental faculty members and quality of teaching is simply awesome and impressive. Didn’t you have an opportunity to interact with current students? If you did then probably you would not have asked me the same question, UOP believes in a team work. Believe me, this strategy works for development both as a person and as a professional. UOP already has gifted highest profile dentists to State of California in the dental profession. I’m from California and would love to be headed in a righteous direction. I just want to master my skills as a general dentist. UOP certainly makes its students a perfectionist. Quality of teaching is what might be compromised at other schools.

16) Research scope is decent because UOP has all recent technologies available and we as IDS students will have access to all nearby major hospitals and patients of all varieties. UOP concentrates on CLINICAL RESEARCH which is good according to my opinion as that is what matters the most in day by day routine practice. If you don’t know anything by now then major breakthroughs by UOP includes clinical research on Invisalign and the invisible braces for adults.

17) Someone asked me about the cost-factor of UCSF Vs UOP, I don’t think so there’s much difference between both schools. Honestly, both school expenses go over 200K and is nearly the same. I don’t mind paying little money more for UOP as quality matters the most to me. I believe if I have a quality in my work and I’m a perfectionist for all kind of work I’m supposed to perform, I certainly can recover the little difference of money within less than a year, isn’t it? Don’t think much if you have no plan for PG in near future, trust me UOP will matter with a long time prospect just because of quality. Not only me but every UOP students have had the same experience. They told me the same thing.

18) UOP's location in Pacific Heights is considered to be a major advantage, particularly as a place to live while in dental school. Not so crowded!

19) I liked the concept of ‘SCOPE’ program. It has got SF main dental clinic and 14 different clinics throughout the BAY area. UOP is an adventure.

20) Why we FTDs came to US? Everyone might have 100 different reasons but one common interest of all is that we all dentists want to learn recent advancements and technologies. UOP gives all opportunities without no limitations. It’s entirely up to you till what extent you want to gain from the school.

21) One of the highest passing rates of WREB licensure exam on first attempt, perfect place if you want to go ahead with your future in California. They prepare the best out of us for licensure exams.

I hope it helps!

Dr. Nehra
Dr. Nehra....
congrats but this thread is focused on interview experience. so please share your experience with the crowd.
Your post is helpful for those in dilemma for choosing one school over the other but you've mentioned this info in two other threads already

The examination process was split up in three days-
The first day - 2 molar gold crown prep within 3hrs.
Second day- orientation, description about the prog followed by lunch.
Third day - interview for half an hour.

The interview was taken by 2 people - a prof and an administrator. their first ques was tell me about yourself ? Following questions were based on that ques.
2) your experience in dentistry at home country ?
3) most difficut situation in your life and how u overcame it ?
4) diff in treatment steps in home country and here ?
5) what re your strengths and weakness ?
6) why to choose you over other candidates ?

The trick is to practice and master tell me about yourself ques..... maintain a natural flow of conversation. dont pretend to be someone u're not. lastly have a biiiigggg smile on your face .:laugh:

)

@ Dear Dentistree711,

you said on the other thread ... that you are the new mom (something like that!), I guess ... we met each other during practice session at UCSF, remember I had come to you - I had a look at your tooth prep and we discussed few points together. Dunno for sure if you're the same new mom. Sorry if m wrong! Congrats!!!

yes even i have the feeling that we met during the practice session :)... well all the very best and do well

hello everyone,
This is a great way of communicating with each other.
i would really appreciate if anyone could tell me about the interview at Univ of pitt.
Really looking forward for any help as its my first.. and don't want to mess up.
Thanks guys..

hello everyone,
This is a great way of communicating with each other.
i would really appreciate if anyone could tell me about the interview at Univ of pitt.
Really looking forward for any help as its my first.. and don't want to mess up.
Thanks guys..

thank u so much for ur response. I haven't seen many postings on univ of Pitt interviews.. any reason why...
anyway thanks...

can anyone give me an idea on whether u give the ideal wing preparation on the proximal wall for PFM preparations? Its whats given in Shillinburg.
Do you give the same in the bench test,, during interviews
Any comments are welcome..
thank u.

can anyone give me an idea on whether u give the ideal wing preparation on the proximal wall for PFM preparations? Its whats given in Shillinburg.
Do you give the same in the bench test,, during interviews
Any comments are welcome..
thank u.

All schools will let you know their ideal..
I did the exam at UOP, UCLA and UTHSCSA. UOP and UCLA asked for PFM and they had similar ideals od preps.
And it is different from Shillinburg :
1- no wing, the reduction creates a smooth transition between the shoulder and the lingual chamfer.
2-No beveled shoulder. It is a 120 shoulder.

I personally believe that if you are comfortable with Shillimburg you can easily do these preps. I think it requires a lot more dexterity to do a beveled shoulder and blend it with the chamfer than simply doing a shoulder!

I recommend getting the UOP international kit. It will give you the exact idea, with ilustrations on a manual and also a cast model.
You can get it online at UOP store website.

Do you know where I can find the guidelines to do PFM, 3/4, 7/8 crowns, Onlays and Inlays? I studied from Schillinburg, but I'm not sure if that's the way the schools want us to do it.
Have you decided which school are you going? I remeber you were between San Antonio and UCLA. No matter which one you decide, I'm sure that you are going to do great :)

Good Luck :luck:

Do you know where I can find the guidelines to do PFM, 3/4, 7/8 crowns, Onlays and Inlays? I studied from Schillinburg, but I'm not sure if that's the way the schools want us to do it.
Have you decided which school are you going? I remeber you were between San Antonio and UCLA. No matter which one you decide, I'm sure that you are going to do great :)

Good Luck :luck:

I used UCLA guide for California Bench examination, but more complete, including the 7/8 and everything, with illustration..
It was a photocopy and I believe it must be easy to find...
I got a copy from an ex alumni from UCLA
Check ebay and see if you find something. If not I can try and get you a copy, I think I still have it. Just pm me.
It is pretty similar to Schilimburg... If you get familiar with Schillimburg preps you will be able to do pretty much anything. the idea is getting the dexterity and feeling comfortable to work with the plastic tooth consistency.. After that, it doesn't matter what they ask you to do, you will be able to do so.
Most schools tell you exactly what to do!
And sometimes they even have slight differences ( for example the MO I did at UOP was different from the MO they asked at UTHSCSA... )

So my advice is: don't get caught up on details of how to do the preps.. Just practice getting gentle hands.

thanks
I guess have to practice to get the hang of it,,,like u said,,,,

All schools will let you know their ideal..
I did the exam at UOP, UCLA and UTHSCSA. UOP and UCLA asked for PFM and they had similar ideals od preps.
And it is different from Shillinburg :
1- no wing, the reduction creates a smooth transition between the shoulder and the lingual chamfer.
2-No beveled shoulder. It is a 120 shoulder.

I personally believe that if you are comfortable with Shillimburg you can easily do these preps. I think it requires a lot more dexterity to do a beveled shoulder and blend it with the chamfer than simply doing a shoulder!

I recommend getting the UOP international kit. It will give you the exact idea, with ilustrations on a manual and also a cast model.
You can get it online at UOP store website.

that was good amt of info shared thank u so much i hav applied to 6 col waiting for a cal:luck:

Hello guys,

Firstly thank u all for all this amazing work here. Well, I needed some information on how to prepare myself for the practical skill test. I have been out of my hoecountry for almost 3 years now and had joined academics but then do desire to jump back into dentistry....tha amazing world of ours.

for the fact that I am away from any hands on 'dental practise' for almost 3-4+ yrs can you guide me about how to proceed? Are there any courses conducted in US for the same? I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you and cheers.

Thank you SO MUCH. Incredible job!!

This is not the place to be posting ads for sale items. Keep those ads in the classifieds. Don't make me close down a good thread by violating the terms of service here on SDN.

Hi To Every body i am from Surrey BC area, I am going to open an practise center from 1st of July where any body can practise for the clinical exam on the maniquin with simulation unit. I will provide every thing for practise like, typhodont, teeth, handpiece, dental material like composite and Amalgam for filling, rubber dam for practice etc. Any body intrested just contact me.
[email protected]

since I have been getting some personal messages regarding this I decided to post some info regarding how to prepare yourself for the practical exams

First of all, you need to have in mind that if you were invited for the exam/interview, there is a huge chance you have good scores/resume. That probably means the tasks they will ask you on those practical exams should be no secret. Nothing different than the training you received back in your University, so relax...

Buy a typodont (find out what type of typodont the school you are interviewing at uses..There are slight differences between different brands). one should be comfortable with the consistency of a plastic tooth. Get a handpiece ( ebay sells them very cheap). It is good to get used to yours, however some schools require you to uise their own. Buy burs ( but do not get attached to especific burs.. Some schools do not allow you to take your own burs). You might consider buying a decent book on preps. UOP has a nice student kit that include burs and a manual, google for their online store and you will find it there.

The idea is just to train your hands to do any type of preps. If you get used to the consistency and the burs, the small details won't matter (rather they use shoulder/ bevel/chamfer, etc- don't wprry about it). As long as you are comfortable working with the plastic tooth, the common burs, manual instruments (like a chisel) and your handpiece, you will be able to do anything.. So don't get worried about the details of the preps. Most schools will give you detailed instructions, sometimes even pictures for you to follow.

You can choose to buy a compressor and practice at home. You will have the advantage of being able to do it as much as you want, anytime you want.

But my advice is BE FRUGAL. you can save a lot of money by not being shy and asking dental clinics/dental labs to practice for free if they have a spare space.
I did so.. In fact, I met 2 REAL nice dentists and 1 REAL nice dental technician who offered me the space for free. And more: I got preps feedbacks, future job offers, recommendation letters, free courses all out of the frienship I made with these people!!! So it was amazing.
I only got to practice about 5-6 times, but that was plenty for me, seriously.
I did that all by getting number online of places near my home and started calling.. There will always be a good soul to help you. I would recommend trying dental labs first. They tend to have more space for you to work...

If you know any student currently enrolled at the program, ask for some feedback. They might be able to help you with your preps...

Good luck

Hey, I got an email invitation from UIC. The interview is on 23rd aug. What should I study for the interview. What type and category of questions are asked? This is my first interview call ever. I had applied last year but didn't get any calls from any school. Please share any onformation you might remember. Thanks

My stats:

NBDE1- 95
NBDE2 - 81
TOEFL- 117
GPA- 3.2
8 year experience in India
1 year observership in US
1 year dental assistance in US

Applied to- UOP, UCSF, UTHSCSA, UCLA, USC, TUFTS, LLU, UIC, BU, UPenn, UMich, UMN
IV calls- UIC, LLU, TUFTS, BU, UPenn, UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, UTHSCSA, UMN, Umich
Alternate list- UIC, USC, UCLA, Umich
Waiting to hear from - UPenn, UTHSCSA, UMN

Acceptance - BU, UOP, UCSF

Going ahead with my DREAM SCHOOL - :love: UOP :love: UOP :love: UOP :love:

Declining offer from - BU, UCSF and NOT going to WAIT for NO more schools

Chose UOP because ... just writing it here cuz few members here on SDN sent me PM asking why m I going ahead with UOP?

My explanation:

UOP – :love: :love: Very very friendly, Very stress free, they made every effort to make it a pleasing experience for me.

Pros about the school:

I have been applying to various schools in US since last year. I would definitely preferr UOP/UTHSCSA over UCSF/UCLA. This year, I had interview experiences at UMN, UIC, TUFTS, BU, UPenn, UOP, UCSF, UCLA, UTHSCSA, USC and UMich. I got acceptance from BU, UOP, and UCSF till now.

1) UOP's state-of-the-art facilities and simulation lab with high class standard is amazing and the best ever among all schools I visited. Actually, I am from San Francisco and I have friends in both schools, so I have visited UOP & UCSF three-four times before I was interviewed. I know these schools from inside-out. UOP has all recent equipments available and it keeps all departments updated with recent advancements and technologies.

2) Friendly school
3) Every current students seemed to be satisfied with the program
4) Great alumni networking is available

5) UOP's mission is to make you the best general practioner you can be and they work on it really hard.
6) One of very rare schools providing you opportunity to learn 'INVISALIGNERS' - isn't that great and simply awesome?
7) DUAL degree programs available and actively offered (State of the art technology!)

8) They mentor you towards the Regional licensing exam you want to take .. both WREB and NREB!
9) They don’t promise what they cannot do - so, no fake promises!
10) The clinical experience at Pacific truly is overwhelming and mindblowing. My senior friends in the first year (not even completed their first years) have been given 45-55 patients each within a short spam and their second year is yet to begin. So, just imagine yourself.

11) Maximum Faculty number among schools I visited so far - it really makes lots of difference,
12) competency based learning: not limited to pre-clinicals but also extends into the clinic. Clinical requirements are very demanding. If you are not in lectures, you will be in the clinic. If you are not in the clinic, you will be in the lab. So, no free time and maximum use of two year program. (Paisa vasool! - that's what my senior friends said me)

13) All students get to do specialty work - this is unique part about UOP. Even If you want to do impacted molar extractions, they will guide you; you want to RCT molar, they will guide you and let you do it; implants - they will guide you; If you want to do perio surgery, they will guide you..... SO, IT DEPENDS ON YOUR POTENTIAL till what extent you wnat to learn from them.

14) Current students I personally met, convincingly opined me that 'STRONG clinical orientation' of UOP is a major factor in their decision making. UOP has few current students like us who had acceptances in both UOP and UCSF last year and they preferred UOP just because they preferred perfection as a DDS over PG. According to them, the present era is all about dental revolution; UOP curriculum is entirely based on ‘comprehensive patient care’, I guess USC is the other school with same kind of standard but has few drawbacks, so UOP aces over USC. I don't have no plan for PG like my senior friends at UOP, so my goal is that I must know comprehensive patient management and I should be self-confident enough to treat my patients convincingly after completing DDS.

15) Helpful and supportive environment with higher interaction with dental faculty members and quality of teaching is simply awesome and impressive. Didn’t you have an opportunity to interact with current students? If you did then probably you would not have asked me the same question, UOP believes in a team work. Believe me, this strategy works for development both as a person and as a professional. UOP already has gifted highest profile dentists to State of California in the dental profession. I’m from California and would love to be headed in a righteous direction. I just want to master my skills as a general dentist. UOP certainly makes its students a perfectionist. Quality of teaching is what might be compromised at other schools.

16) Research scope is decent because UOP has all recent technologies available and we as IDS students will have access to all nearby major hospitals and patients of all varieties. UOP concentrates on CLINICAL RESEARCH which is good according to my opinion as that is what matters the most in day by day routine practice. If you don’t know anything by now then major breakthroughs by UOP includes clinical research on Invisalign and the invisible braces for adults.

17) Someone asked me about the cost-factor of UCSF Vs UOP, I don’t think so there’s much difference between both schools. Honestly, both school expenses go over 200K and is nearly the same. I don’t mind paying little money more for UOP as quality matters the most to me. I believe if I have a quality in my work and I’m a perfectionist for all kind of work I’m supposed to perform, I certainly can recover the little difference of money within less than a year, isn’t it? Don’t think much if you have no plan for PG in near future, trust me UOP will matter with a long time prospect just because of quality. Not only me but every UOP students have had the same experience. They told me the same thing.

18) UOP's location in Pacific Heights is considered to be a major advantage, particularly as a place to live while in dental school. Not so crowded!

19) I liked the concept of ‘SCOPE’ program. It has got SF main dental clinic and 14 different clinics throughout the BAY area. UOP is an adventure.

20) Why we FTDs came to US? Everyone might have 100 different reasons but one common interest of all is that we all dentists want to learn recent advancements and technologies. UOP gives all opportunities without no limitations. It’s entirely up to you till what extent you want to gain from the school.

21) One of the highest passing rates of WREB licensure exam on first attempt, perfect place if you want to go ahead with your future in California. They prepare the best out of us for licensure exams.

I hope it helps!

Dr. Nehra

Hi Dr Neha,
You have an amazing score. Could you share the information of what was asked in UCSF interview? also what was asked to do for practicals? Thanks. Also I had stated studying for partII so wanted an advice on that as well, what all did you refer to for part II exam. I just have dental decks and question booklet with around 100 on each subject

I got an interview invitation from UPENN interview and it is scheduled for October 19th, 2010. Can anyone please share their experience of Upenn Interview and what should I expect? Your experience will help me to prepare well for the interview.

Does anyone know how many people are interviewed per day (Tuesday)?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help.

Hi,
I also got an interview call for UPENN. But does anyone know if they would reschedule an interview as my USC interview is just a day before and I am not sure if I can make it to Philadelphia on time or not.