Interview Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can we start adding what time the day ends? Right now I'm curious about NYU as I have to catch a plane to LA later that day. thanks.

For those interested, I'll post about Columbia later this evening...

Members don't see this ad.

MGH

# of interviewers/interviewees
3 - Your first is the panel interview. This is with 6-7 faculty members around a conference table with you at the other end. 4 ask questions, generally based on things in your application (ie,someone who did burn research go asked about parkland formula, etc.). It is about 25 - 30 minutes. They are going to ask you things you don't know or forgot, they want to see if you can say, I don't know, and your thought process. Then you have a faculty interview and an interview with either the PD or chairman, those are more typical, non pimping 15 minute interviews. Everyone tells you the panel is not a big deal and not to worry, but your heart still pounds a little when you get in there.

a place you would recommend visiting during the stay
I stayed with a friend about 30 minutes away via the T. Not sure where others stayed.

any recommendations for those interviewing in that program
Go to the dinner the night before. The residents are very nice and will give you a lot of heads up information on the panel and are very open about what the program is like.

overall impression of the program - pros and cons
Impression - I liked it a lot. The residents work very hard but are very happy and extemely collegial. There really is, at least among the residents, an almost anti-hierarchical social structure - based on social interaction it was hard to tell who was a junior resident vs who was a chief - only when they talked about work could you figure it out.

Pros - Obviously a great reputation with excellent operative experience. Incredibly collegial atmosphere with hardworking but relaxed, friendly residents. Excellent fellowship matching with great academic opportunities in either basic science research or other advanced degrees (encouragement to go anywhere in country/world to get best academic experience during "the lab years")

Cons - Almost every faculty member did their training at MGH. They are very proud of this, and talk about it is a sign that everyone loves it so much that they stay. This may be true, but it also means there is not a ton of new blood being injected into the program. Also, they are very upfront about being over the 80hrs on the busier services. Lastly, not a huge focus on formal education, the skills lab is sort of bare bones, and they do have saturday morning conferences.

Overall - I really, really liked the program. Treat you like a doctor from day one (PD referred to himself as PGY 30, may sound cheesy but that really is the mentality of the place). Residents are very happy. Educational focus is sort of "old school" however.[/QUOTE]

Columbia

# of interviews that day: 2 interviews both are one on one with an attending lasting approximately 20-30 mins. Informal, fairly standard/innocuous questions. One facutly member seemed very familiar with my application, the other not so much. Have questions ready. Day ended after lunch at approx 1.30.

A place you would recommend visiting during the stay: it's NY so anything goes. Couldn't make it to the social event, those who went said not too many residents were there, but it was a great place to eat/socialize.

Any recommendations for those interviewing in that program:Know the program well and make certain you know why this is the place for you. Also, b/c a lot of the faculty is on staff at both Columbia and Cornell, if you did not apply to Cornell - have a solid reason why you applied to one and not the other.

Overall impression of the program - pros and cons:

Pros: This hospital and its surgical program are very well respected both in NY and in the surgical community. Very big on cardiac/transplant/Whipples. Very encouraging of individual initiative. If something isn't working well or needs improving, in the words of the PD: don't whine about it, fix it.

Cons: Not a level 1 trauma center. They farm you out to Newark in your 3rd year for 6-7 weeks for your trauma experience. Similarly, only ~60% of your time is spent at NY Presbyterian. The rest of the time you are at Overlook Hospital (small, private, community hospital in NJ) or at an uptown annex. As per the PD, they are weaker than other area hospitals for surg onc and their didactics could be better. Finally, residents seemed a little disinterested and lacked passion while describing the program. Sounds like it's been a tough intern year.

How did it compare to other programs you've visited so far? Everyone seemed reserved and there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm, excitment or passion both on the part of residents and attendings. Otherwise, lots of research opportunities and well posititioned to get you any fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
someone was asking about Harvard so here goes...

Beth Israel Deaconess

# of interviews that day:
M&M and resident conf in AM...brief presentation by chair/PD, then interviews. I had 4: 2 20-30 min by faculty, 15-20 by PD, 5 by chair. They didn't (other than the PD) really ask me anything about my application or any "interview" like questions...just wanted to tell me that their residents are the best anywhere. Thanks, but I've heard that before.

A place you would recommend visiting during the stay: The night before was the most attractive part; great dinner and lots of time with residents. It's right on the East Campus in Longwood so staying there's a good idea. However, I crashed with friends near MGH; there is a free shuttle between MGH and Longwood, so I was set. You can also take the Green Line T.

Any recommendations for those interviewing in that program:
It seems like they want to be seen equal with MGH/ Brigham...they are looking for, as far as I can tell, aggressive residents, a little more traditional.

Pros:
Great clinical experience, amazing facilities, best computer system I've seen, level 1 trauma but it doesn't take over your life, great community experience at Cambridge hosp and Mt. Auburn (lots of bread n' butter for PGY1s), access to Boston Children's, Dana Farber, being part of the whole Harvard schtick (if that's your bag), prob best txplant program in NE, surg onc heavy, great CT. Nice that most of the faculty are NOT from Boston only. It's a new program (5 years or so) and still growing.

Cons:
One of the interns (and this was confirmed by an external resident) said that the Chair is "malignant as hell"...I guess he yells and screams at everyone in the OR and is a bear to work with. I guess he's also strong for the dept since he's well known but I dont know if I'd want that environment. THe PD is quite new; in general, the place, despite selling itself as a "Boston program with a Midwest feel" felt more like a "Boston program who knows it's Harvard". Although the interns/residents claimed they were so happy they couldn't come up with complaints, I guess I don't buy it. They also said they were currently q2 to q3 overnight. Yuck. They have a relatively high attrition rate which always makes me wonder.

How did it compare to other programs you've visited so far?
I personally wouldn't want to live in Boston...way too expensive and mean, but aside from that i worry about how happy and supported I would be. I thought that this was one of the more benign Boston programs, but not sure if that's true now. They did have good food tho' (I care about these things). :)

anybody have the scoop on UCLA?

nobody's been to UCLA? is there pimping? panel interviews?

wrecked said:
nobody's been to UCLA? is there pimping? panel interviews?

I'll give it a shot. Had initially held off because I was a little zoned out and so I'm not sure I got the full flavor of things.

UCLA

# of interviews that day:
chair presentation, then official PD presentation in the AM. No grand rounds/M&M or anything like that. I had 4 regular interviews, 20-30 min long each, then 10 min with the PD. The chair met with many, not all. They asked basic interview questions - why surgery, strengths and weaknesses, etc. They often discussed the strengths of other programs as well as in, 'oh if you're interested in x, then you should consider, ucla, y,z, and a'. The PD seemed to have read the application and had a few pertinent questions.

A place you would recommend visiting during the stay: Dunno.. the usual suspects I guess - night before, etc.

Any recommendations for those interviewing in that program:
I think quite a few UCLA students are applying this year .. don't know how that will change the competition for others who may wish to go. they mentioned that we could come back for a second-look a couple of times, more than any others I remember. So it might be important to them?

Pros:
Great clinical experience, good facilities - they're building a new hospital that looks great. they have rotations at a community hospital, a county, a VA and a tertiary care, so have great variety. They have been around for only 50 years and in that time have produced 22 chairs. Pretty amazing. They get great fellowships.

Cons:
Not the greatest computer system - paper charts, paper orders, etc. Not the best didactic program either although the residents kept stating that it was much improved compared to what they had before. I guess this was part of what the RRC dinged them on. I don't know about their trauma experience - most of it goes to USC or Harbor.

How did it compare to other programs you've visited so far?
Like I said, I was a little spaced out .. but, I was expecting a top-notch program and it came across that way - it has the clinical training, the research mechanism, the tradition of getting residents grants, setting them up in great 2 year research programs, and getting them good fellowships. The residents seemed happy as well, although they all kept mentioning that "they work hard" - what does that mean? over 80 hours hard or hard during the 80 hours??
Overall, people seemed happy, but it was LA - I would rather not live there, but if I did, it would probably be very high on my list.

Speaking of CA programs, have any of you visited UCSF or Stanford yet? What did you think?

Columbia

Interviews: 2 interviews, each one-on-one with a faculty member. These were very relaxed, and both were familiar with my file. No tough topics. (I wasn't even asked, "Why surgery?")

Recommendations: Go to the social event the night before for the free drinks. Realize that there will be no food at this.

Overall Impression: This is a great academic program. The residents seemed laid-back and happy, the attendings were friendly, and the place didn't seem as hierarchical as the other major academic center in NYC (Cornell).

Pros: A lot of operating experience. The residents average 1200 to 1500. Some of this is of course inflated by smaller cases (the PD mentioned that the interns often had 50 breast cases), but I think more is usually better. One intern said she already had 120 cases. There are opportunities for research, with most residents taking a year or two off for basic science or clinical research. There is a laparoscopic training lab, with the boxes and with a sim program. The PD has made it mandatory to pass certain levels on the sim program before you can do lap cases in the OR. The residents say the program is compliant with the 80 hour work week - they use a night float system.

Cons: Location. The main hospital is at 168th, but you also have to do rotations in New Jersey for gen surg and trauma. They don't have guaranteed housing, and most of the residents live on the upper west side and commute up by subway, which takes about 30 minutes. The ancillary services are pretty poor, according to the residents. There isn't much trauma (this is also a positive).

How did it compare to other programs? I really liked Columbia. The location kind of sucks, but I think the training would be great, and I liked the residents.

robotsonic said:
Columbia

Interviews: 2 interviews, each one-on-one with a faculty member. These were very relaxed, and both were familiar with my file. No tough topics. (I wasn't even asked, "Why surgery?")

Recommendations: Go to the social event the night before for the free drinks. Realize that there will be no food at this.

Overall Impression: This is a great academic program. The residents seemed laid-back and happy, the attendings were friendly, and the place didn't seem as hierarchical as the other major academic center in NYC (Cornell).

Pros: A lot of operating experience. The residents average 1200 to 1500. Some of this is of course inflated by smaller cases (the PD mentioned that the interns often had 50 breast cases), but I think more is usually better. One intern said she already had 120 cases. There are opportunities for research, with most residents taking a year or two off for basic science or clinical research. There is a laparoscopic training lab, with the boxes and with a sim program. The PD has made it mandatory to pass certain levels on the sim program before you can do lap cases in the OR. The residents say the program is compliant with the 80 hour work week - they use a night float system.

Cons: Location. The main hospital is at 168th, but you also have to do rotations in New Jersey for gen surg and trauma. They don't have guaranteed housing, and most of the residents live on the upper west side and commute up by subway, which takes about 30 minutes. The ancillary services are pretty poor, according to the residents. There isn't much trauma (this is also a positive).

How did it compare to other programs? I really liked Columbia. The location kind of sucks, but I think the training would be great, and I liked the residents.

hmm ... robotsonic, I'm glad you found a place you really liked. I haven't been to columbia, don't plan on it, don't know anything about it .. but a few red flags popped up when I read this post based on experience with other programs. Basically, I'm not sure if I believe that they are compliant with the 80 hour workweek while getting that many cases (particularly as interns) with poor ancillary services. Usually that's not a good combo.

Bump - I want to hear more about programs. This thread is old. We should revive it.

Reactions: 1 user
I second Dares Dareson's suggestion but bumping just in case