Interview "extras"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone who has been through the interview process can give me some advice. I have been skimming Iserson's guide, and noticed that we are advised to bring a copy of our CV and personal statement to interviews. It also says to bring copies of any papers you have published. I currently only have one published paper...can I just bring a copy made on an ordinary copier or does it have to be a journal reprint? I currently don't have any copies of the reprints (sent them out with some of the applications). Just wondering if this is a big deal...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends what kind of figures you have. If you use techniques such as FISH or, perhaps, are showing colored isodose lines in a phsyics study, then it would be nice to have a reprint.

However, if it is full of Westerns and PCRs (like mine) then you should be fine with a regular copy off of PubMed.

BTW, I will say that despite lugging around my updated CV and pubs to interviews nobody has specifically asked me for either.

I think it's always good to have copies of your CV at interviews. It's very common that your interviewers have not read or not remember your application, and as the interview begins, he/she quickly looks thru your ERAS app. As you know, the ERAS format is terribly confusing, and it would be to your advantage to offer your CV, which has all the good things about your app highlited in a reader-friendly format.

And as for your publications, I don't think it really matters whether it's just a printout or the real reprints. It simply allows for the interviewers to glance over your work and get a conversation going. I doubt that anyone will analyze the print quality of your figures.

Members don't see this ad :)
no one will be impressed by glossies. just your cv is fine.

stephew said:
just your cv is fine.

I disagree and would stick to the advice in the other posts. You have only a limited time to sell yourself. I would use whatever props you feel appropriate - Glossies- whatever. There was a guy on the interview trail that wrote some program for radonc (I never really got all the details). He lugged his lap top into every interview to show people. I thought that was great, required? ... no... will he be remembered later...for sure. I just made a cd with the pdf's of my publications on it and gave it to the interviewers. That way they could look at if they wanted or just trash it if they didn't. To each his own, but to discourage presenting yourself in the best light is a mistake.

to discourage presenting yourself in teh best light is a mistake. making a nuisence of yourself may also be. Being remembered is good. but only for the right things. I can still count of many who didnt get ranked at all that I still remember, but for the wrong reasons.