interview follow up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resident12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finished with my 11 interviews and I am wondering what is the best way for me to re-express my interest to my top 5 programs. Should I send an email to the PD, letter of intent, or go back for a second look? Any tips/advice?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am finished with my 11 interviews and I am wondering what is the best way for me to re-express my interest to my top 5 programs. Should I send an email to the PD, letter of intent, or go back for a second look? Any tips/advice?

Thank you.

A simple "I'm still interested" email will suffice.

Thank you.

A simple note/email would suffice. A second interview is a waste of your money and everyone's time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bother with second look unless you need it for YOURSELF in helping you decide how to organize your rank list.

I wouldn't bother with second look unless you need it for YOURSELF in helping you decide how to organize your rank list.
Agreed. I think a lot of folks have the impression that second looks somehow convey interest. If anything at all, they convey ambivalence. Don't go unless you need to see more of the program to make up your mind.

A simple "I'm still interested" email will suffice.

Is this necessary? I don't imagine any programs changing how they rank me based on my interest in them.

Just curious.

Is this necessary? I don't imagine any programs changing how they rank me based on my interest in them.

Just curious.

You're right--it's not necessary, and it's unlikely to change things. But it is polite, considerate, and demonstrates engagement in the process--which is a positive thing.

What is your advice about programs where you have interviewed sending you a formal invite for a "second look" at the program?

What is your advice about programs where you have interviewed sending you a formal invite for a "second look" at the program?

As billypilgrim37 said.
If you're worried that it's some sort of test (that you fail if you don't take them up on the offer), it really isn't.

Hi,

I sent a letter of interest to the program that I am really interested in to the PD and to the coordinator, but I didn't get a response. I guess, I was expecting a response. Do I assume that they read my email and will keep it in the back of their mind. Or do i focus on another program?
Thank you

Don't read into what they do or don't say - just rank your programs in the order you'd want to match and then wait for Match Day.

All I would recommend doing, if you do anything at all, is telling your #1 program that you're ranking them #1. Some would argue - and I would more or less agree - that you don't even need to do that. If you do write the program, keep it short and simple and to the point. No more than one straightforward paragraph where you thank them for a nice interview experience and let them know that you were impressed by the program and are ranking it #1.

Don't go for second looks unless you're not sure about a program and want to get a better sense of it. If you ask for a second look, you should have a specific goal in mind for it. Do you want to see what the didactics are like? Do you want to talk to a potential research mentor to get a sense of his/her work? Do you want to see what inpatient rounds are like? When you ask you should know what you're asking to see. Second looks are generally not intended to give you a leg up on the competition to make you stand out. They're a chance for the program to show you something you didn't get to see at your interview day.

Regarding the
180989c35ea62eabdazfdz27d4f32b6d3bb14e.jpg
email, any theory on how it may HURT your ranking? Not because they think you're annoying or anything, but because they now KNOW where you fall. You're a known commodity to them, and they now can place you strategically on the match list to some extent. There's also the other argument that maybe they think a tad less of you - why do you want US so badly, maybe you weren't as awesome as we thought.

I'm probably overthinking this, but thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the
180989c35ea62eabdazfdz27d4f32b6d3bb14e.jpg
email, any theory on how it may HURT your ranking? Not because they think you're annoying or anything, but because they now KNOW where you fall. You're a known commodity to them, and they now can place you strategically on the match list to some extent. There's also the other argument that maybe they think a tad less of you - why do you want US so badly, maybe you weren't as awesome as we thought.

I'm probably overthinking this, but thoughts are appreciated.

You're overthinking this.

You're welcome.

I think every program wants people that are happy to be there, so getting the "you're my #1" email may help a bit if it helps convince them that you won't be miserable and try to transfer if you end up there. Beyond that small factor, I doubt it really matters that much.
From what I've seen of the recruiting process at my residency, I don't see how it would benefit the program to rank people any other way than in terms of how much the program likes you. I think in most cases, that will be decided a lot more based on Step scores, your personal statement, the amount of social awkwardness and level of blatant psychopathology that you demonstrated in the interview rather than how much you actually want to go there.

Totally agree. Post-interview correspondence very rarely does anything to help your app. When it does it's usually in a minor way. Honestly, you have a better chance of hurting your app with post-interview interactions than you do of helping it.

At this point, it's best to just make your rank list and wait for the Match.

How much to put stock in friendly emails with PD? I know this subject is not a new one.

I've exchanged emails with the PD and associate PD at University of Washington, as well as some faculty, and they are all super nice and encouraging.

This is probably a good sign, right?

How much to put stock in friendly emails with PD? I know this subject is not a new one.

I've exchanged emails with the PD and associate PD at University of Washington, as well as some faculty, and they are all super nice and encouraging.

It's not a bad one. If they didn't think you had a shot at being ranked highly, they probably wouldn't put that much effort into it. But I wouldn't read much more into it than that.

agree with NDY its not a bad sign. but as UW no longer tells applicants where they are on the rank list, you will never know and if you match there it will be a moot point. they are all super nice and encouraging because they are super nice and encouraging.

i know it sucks, i remember being terrified i wouldn't match last year, and reading too much into stuff but quite frankly you can't believe a word anyone says. having said that, IIRC dr cowley is one of those PDs who does not believe in doing anything that might be seen to coerce applicants so I would be surprised if she said anything more non-committal than 'we would love to have you here'. make no mistake that is fairly non committal and doesn't mean very much.

still better than 'we would be very surprised if you matched here because we're not ranking you!'

I don't know if you can really trust any program to be 100% honest with you concerning your ranking, not until Match Day.

Just use common sense/ I'd say a second visit could be good if you want to show your top 1-2 programs you are really interested or if you want to see more of the program. I don't actually think it makes that much of a difference, but who knows? Can't hurt if it's not too difficult for you to do.

Above all else be sincere, psychiatry is a smallish field, you don't want to get yourself in trouble for the future and gain a bad reputation right out of the gate. I have heard program directors warn applicants about telling more than one program they are #1.

I sent a brief letter of thank you to each program I interviewed at, detailing one or two things I liked about the program. For my #1 program, I sent them an email saying why I want to go there and they responded in turn with some positive feedback. Honesty, class and integrity are important things, and not bad qualities to prove you have.

I would be surprised if she said anything more non-committal than 'we would love to have you here'. make no mistake that is fairly non committal and doesn't mean very much.

If Deb says "we would love to have you here", that in fact means very much. It means "we would love to have you here".

If Deb says "we would love to have you here", that in fact means very much. It means "we would love to have you here".

Agreed--the majority of programs will rank applicants according to their preference, and applicants should rank programs according to their own preference*, and it will all work out for the best. Let our communications be straightforward, honest, and true.

(*Seriously, if you'd really rather be unemployed or SOAPing/scrambling than working at a particular program next year--for God's sake DON'T RANK IT! )

I like your style, twright.

Splik, I totally knew who you were at the resident dinner and wanted to say hi or wink or something. But I didn't. Hopefully we'll be colleagues in a few months!