Interview for alternate list??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coreyb

Dentist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from Case Western for an interview for their 'Alternate List'.

Could someone explain to me what that means? Does it mean they've already chosen a list of 'accepted' but are still filling another list of people in case of people not taking their acceptance?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

coreyb said:
I received a letter from Case Western for an interview for their 'Alternate List'.

Could someone explain to me what that means? Does it mean they've already chosen a list of 'accepted' but are still filling another list of people in case of people not taking their acceptance?

Thanks in advance.
Alternate list is waiting list I think. Don't take my word for it though.

coreyb said:

Thanks in advance.

It means you are interviewing for a wait list. After they pick out all the plp they want from the primary interview list, if they still have spots in their class, they will then start looking at the alternate list to fill the class.

Do you mind me asking what the ketucky letter says? I got one, too. But, they are not being straight foward. (Just says that they are waiting until late fall to see if they want to interview me) Is that a rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm...interview for waitlist doesn't sound promising. But then again, it's been my only interview invite so far, so I'll probably go interview on that slim chance.

As for my kentucky reject, it basically said they've had nearly 1300 applicants for the 44 instate and 12 out of state slots and that because I was out of state, I was not competitve enough to continue in the application process.

coreyb said:
Hmmmm...interview for waitlist doesn't sound promising. But then again, it's been my only interview invite so far, so I'll probably go interview on that slim chance.

As for my kentucky reject, it basically said they've had nearly 1300 applicants for the 44 instate and 12 out of state slots and that because I was out of state, I was not competitve enough to continue in the application process.

When did you send your application? Don't worry about Case. I haven't seen a school that fills up their interview spots so fast. I think Case is the only one.
As for my Kentucky letter, they said that they are interest in my application but would like to compare mine with those of other applicants for fall 2006 blah blah blah...

I know that they don't take many out of state and I have no idea WHY I applied to this school...your stats are looking good. I think u will get at least 5 interviews.

So I called Case today and made my appointment time. They don't even start interviewing for the alternate list until monday, March 13th (I scheduled mine for that Friday)

I guess I'm a bit confused on how the whole process works??

My guess and some old salt dental student can correct me if I'm wrong??

--December they send out offers
--They give a certain amount of time to wait for negative responses
--The folks who decide to go to another school open their slot up
--There's a 'dead' period where nothing happens until March
--They interview alternates for the remaining slots
--No idea when they offer the alternates a slot.

Am I correct in my guessing???

Thanks again in advance.

coreyb said:
So I called Case today and made my appointment time. They don't even start interviewing for the alternate list until monday, March 13th (I scheduled mine for that Friday)

I guess I'm a bit confused on how the whole process works??

My guess and some old salt dental student can correct me if I'm wrong??

--December they send out offers
--They give a certain amount of time to wait for negative responses
--The folks who decide to go to another school open their slot up
--There's a 'dead' period where nothing happens until March
--They interview alternates for the remaining slots
--No idea when they offer the alternates a slot.

Am I correct in my guessing???

Thanks again in advance.

During our oreintation this year they informed us that no one was pulled off of the alternate list this year. If you really want to get the scoop, call the admissions office and speak with Brian Sherman. He's a really nice guy and will shoot you a straight answer. Best of luck.