Interview for Case Alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview invite from Case for the alternate list. If I get on the alternate list, what are my chances of getting a seat? I don't have any idea how it works, like is there a boat load of others before me on the alternate list who'll get in before I do, is it worth spending the money and going there or no? Anyone care to comment?

Members don't see this ad.

vaio said:
I received an interview invite from Case for the alternate list. If I get on the alternate list, what are my chances of getting a seat? I don't have any idea how it works, like is there a boat load of others before me on the alternate list who'll get in before I do, is it worth spending the money and going there or no? Anyone care to comment?

I know how you feel man. My alternate list interview isn't until March 9th. I guess they're starting the alternate interviews in march and I asked the lady on the phone if I had a better chance than others of making the list cause I was near the beginning of March and she gave a hearty laugh and said, "Nope." So it looks like all us alternate guys are in the same boat.

She laughed?! :eek: Was it a mean laugh or just a laugh-laugh? cos if it was a mean one that would hurt. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
donkeywhisperer said:
I know how you feel man. My alternate list interview isn't until March 9th. I guess they're starting the alternate interviews in march and I asked the lady on the phone if I had a better chance than others of making the list cause I was near the beginning of March and she gave a hearty laugh and said, "Nope." So it looks like all us alternate guys are in the same boat.

your scheduled for March?! And I was thinking I would probably be taking the interview in the next month or so

vaio said:
your scheduled for March?! And I was thinking I would probably be taking the interview in the next month or so

do most schools have this extensive of an alternate list? i already interviewed at Case, does that mean more of their "regular" interviews are gained admittance? if you don't, do you get put on the alternate list? how does this work?

vaio said:

Yup. Its in March. I got march 10th. Hopefully, I wont be needing that interview.

UMich Pre-Dent said:
do most schools have this extensive of an alternate list? i already interviewed at Case, does that mean more of their "regular" interviews are gained admittance? if you don't, do you get put on the alternate list? how does this work?

About 70-75% of the interviewees interviewed during the regular interview period (not alternate list) will be offered acceptance. For Case, their decision is very straight forward. If you have been interviewed, you will be given either a Acceptance, Rejection or sometimes Deferral. As for pre-interviewees, they will be given Interview, Alternate List, Rejection. The admissions say that they will make these decisions upon reviewing your file and will not keep you 'hanging' without any response.

The Musketeer said:
About 70-75% of the interviewees interviewed during the regular interview period (not alternate list) will be offered acceptance. For Case, their decision is very straight forward. If you have been interviewed, you will be given either a Acceptance, Rejection or sometimes Deferral. As for pre-interviewees, they will be given Interview, Alternate List, Rejection. The admissions say that they will make these decisions upon reviewing your file and will not keep you 'hanging' without any response.

what are your thoughts on the alternate list? referring to past statistics, or your own knowledge, what percentage of alternate listees get seats?

The Musketeer said:

what would a deferral decision mean?

duh? said:
She laughed?! :eek: Was it a mean laugh or just a laugh-laugh? cos if it was a mean one that would hurt. :(

I was kind of a 'boy, this poor kid is pathetic' laugh. It was pretty discouraging.

I would still send in your money. I don't have my interview there until Jan28th, but I still made one...why? Because in my book, there is no such thing as too many interviews. The other idea I have: Case is filling up its list very, very early...it seems to me that not everyone is going to end up going to the interviews after December 1st because Case's first pick on students will be the first pick of a lot of other schools as well....and students (the majority of them) are more likely to take a state school over Case (because of the money). Therefore, it seems to me that even though you might be on an alt. list...the real question is, how many of the students who are interviewing after Dec. 1 are going to keep their spots? Think about it: if half of the students cancel their spots, then everyone else moves up on the list...making your chances on the alt. list a lot better...maybe it would even take you off the alt. list and place you in the regular pile? I have no idea, these are just my hypothetical ideas. Good Luck!

vaio said:
what are your thoughts on the alternate list? referring to past statistics, or your own knowledge, what percentage of alternate listees get seats?

Usually, there are about 5 people that get accepted from the alternate list every year, but last year was unique in that no one was taken from the list.

sunphish said:
I would still send in your money. I don't have my interview there until Jan28th, but I still made one...why? Because in my book, there is no such thing as too many interviews. The other idea I have: Case is filling up its list very, very early...it seems to me that not everyone is going to end up going to the interviews after December 1st because Case's first pick on students will be the first pick of a lot of other schools as well....and students (the majority of them) are more likely to take a state school over Case (because of the money). Therefore, it seems to me that even though you might be on an alt. list...the real question is, how many of the students who are interviewing after Dec. 1 are going to keep their spots? Think about it: if half of the students cancel their spots, then everyone else moves up on the list...making your chances on the alt. list a lot better...maybe it would even take you off the alt. list and place you in the regular pile? I have no idea, these are just my hypothetical ideas. Good Luck!

what money do I have to send in right now?