Interview "Guests"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Velaineil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in the interview invite emails I've gotten so far (MO/OH) there's been a line that goes something like "you're welcome to bring a friend or family member with you" blah blah blah. Has anyone brought someone? Do a lot of people? Current students- did you?
I know my mom would love to come with me, but I don't really know if I want her there... :hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it's probably 50/50 or possibly a little higher on the side of brought a significant other with them. I personally went alone, but hung out with coatofmanycolors and her family :). I would have probably brought family, but had a wildlife conference the same weekend so already had plans to be in Columbus that weekend and wanted to stay all weekend for the conference, so it was just easier to go alone. My dad wanted to come but I told him no.

My mom came to my interviews for Tufts and Glasgow last year. Both schools had info sessions before the interview, so she was kind of able to get a feel of what the schools were like herself. She was even allowed to go along for the tour of Tufts' facilities. The only one she couldn't come along for was Penn's because they said they didn't have the room for extra people. She obviously wasn't allowed in the actual interview, but it was nice to have someone supportive with me. As for other students, I recall quite a few having parents with them, especially if they were seniors/juniors in college, like I was at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, in the interview invite emails I've gotten so far (MO/OH) there's been a line that goes something like "you're welcome to bring a friend or family member with you" blah blah blah. Has anyone brought someone? Do a lot of people? Current students- did you?
I know my mom would love to come with me, but I don't really know if I want her there... :hungover:

I brought my mom with me to my first interview (during my first application cycle). They were very accomodating of guests, and most of the people that interviewed that day had at least one of their parents with them.

All other interviews I went by myself. I liked it a lot better by myself, because I could focus on me. When my mom was with me, I was worried about the impression that she would make (not that she would make a bad one but it's just one of those things that runs through your mind when you're already stressed). Another thing that I really disliked was that the parents seemed to talk to each other about their kid's qualifications. It was like a competition, whose kid is better? They were trying to size up the other applicants there that day. My mom was very good and didn't divulge any information that I wouldn't have wanted her to. Instead of trying to one-up the other mothers, she would just say "oh that's nice/great/exciting" when someone would state that their child had won some award or been #1 in their class.

I don't know if it would be that way everywhere, but I was super uncomfortable when I was touring the school and I could hear the parents all talking about how their child must be a better candidate than everyone else's children.

I brought my mom with me to my first interview (during my first application cycle). They were very accomodating of guests, and most of the people that interviewed that day had at least one of their parents with them.

All other interviews I went by myself. I liked it a lot better by myself, because I could focus on me. When my mom was with me, I was worried about the impression that she would make (not that she would make a bad one but it's just one of those things that runs through your mind when you're already stressed). Another thing that I really disliked was that the parents seemed to talk to each other about their kid's qualifications. It was like a competition, whose kid is better? They were trying to size up the other applicants there that day. My mom was very good and didn't divulge any information that I wouldn't have wanted her to. Instead of trying to one-up the other mothers, she would just say "oh that's nice/great/exciting" when someone would state that their child had won some award or been #1 in their class.

I don't know if it would be that way everywhere, but I was super uncomfortable when I was touring the school and I could hear the parents all talking about how their child must be a better candidate than everyone else's children.

That's the reason I allow my mom to come. She doesn't do anything like that, and I guess she kinda pokes fun (if you want to call it that) at parents that keep trying to brag about their child in that way since we're obviously all accomplished if we made it that far. It kind of helped me stay positive since I felt like such an under achiever last application round. I still kind of feel that way now even though I know I am a stronger applicant than last year.

I brought my dad with me to Ohio State. He really enjoyed it and I'm glad he was there. He got really excited when we toured and got to see the horse cadavers. He also took me to my Penn interview and did business in Philly while I interviewed

Seems like when I interviewed, more people brought someone than didn't. I brought my wife. The two friends I interviewed with brought their husband and mom.

I guess my feeling on it is that it depends a bit on your schedule... even though I was IS (and therefore only on campus for one day for interviews) there was still a fair bit of down time, and it was nice to have someone familiar there to talk to to help me stay calm and whatnot.

If you think you'll be nervous, I think it's a good idea.

One other tidbit - bringing someone like a parent or SO/spouse/whatever is a great way to involve them in school, even if it's only a little bit. Since school is a stressor on relationships (well, of the SO kind, anyway), involving them in any way you can is a good thing.

Ick, my mom would totally do that. Or she'd criticize me the whole time... I don't think I'd want her around at OSU (IS), but I'm considering bringing her along to Mizzou. It's a lot of traveling to do by yourself...
I have mixed feelings. :lame:

One other tidbit - bringing someone like a parent or SO/spouse/whatever is a great way to involve them in school, even if it's only a little bit. Since school is a stressor on relationships (well, of the SO kind, anyway), involving them in any way you can is a good thing.

I like this idea! Time to recruit the manfriend! :)

I brought my mom and the boy along. It was nice having people to talk to during the tour (I only applied to/interviewed at Mizzou so it was good to have their questions; the other girl and her parents who toured with us were not talkative and asked zero questions).

I went with Heylodeb to her KS interview, and there were lots of moms/dads/friends/SOs hanging around.

My SO, on the other hand, had one of his parents in the same city as he was interviewing, but he didn't let them go on the tour or anything; they essentially dropped him off and picked him up, which worked nicely because he doesn't like to be bothered with questions and stuff when he's focusing.

I went with Heylodeb to her KS interview, and there were lots of moms/dads/friends/SOs hanging around.

For me, it was more of an expense thing than anything else. In Ks - I could bribe ;) scb44f to come hang out with me but if she hadn't been able to I would have been on my own since I could barely afford getting myself out there. There were a couple awkward moments where the mother on the tour is asking all the questions and you are steadily getting more and more embarrassed for the student.

In WA - I was staying with a friend and current vet student so she hung out wiht me at the pizza party but was in class during my interview.

UC Davis - well, I went by self. I live in Sacramento and have worked at the school. While I was waiting for the interview, the person before me had brought their mom and was doing the bragging thing. "Oh, my daughter is an artist and a gymnast and a nobel prize winning stientist and has 7 Ph.Ds., and ended hunger in khurashbakhan..." It was pretty rude of the woman because I was trying to quietly prepare for my interview. One of the admin folk did eventually change the subject when she saw me turning greener. Who knows - maybe the student told her mom to do it!! (They probably got in....but interview nerves caused me to forget anyones face that I met that day!)

Brought my mom to Mizzou and Purdue. She really enjoyed it and was proud mama the whole time. She sternly asked what their board pass rates were, and then just kinda hung out and was well behaved.

I liked having her there a lot. It helped calm me down and it was nice to share the experience with someone.

this jumps out at me. If you are not comfortable or have doubts or think you'd be more relaxed alone - dont bring her. Do whatever will make you shine that day.

Personally, i went alone to all of my interviews. my parents stress me out- havent lived with them in 5 years for a reason. I did not feel out lonely or out of place or anything like that. Do whatever will make you happy!

Members don't see this ad :)
this jumps out at me. If you are not comfortable or have doubts or think you'd be more relaxed alone - dont bring her. Do whatever will make you shine that day.

Personally, i went alone to all of my interviews. my parents stress me out- havent lived with them in 5 years for a reason. I did not feel out lonely or out of place or anything like that. Do whatever will make you happy!

Thanks! I know this isn't gonna get a lot of applause at home, but I feel a lot better about it :)

Totally feel the same way. I figure there will be time for them to visit/move me if I get in somewhere. In the mean time, lemme work on getting in! :)

I (at the moment) anticipate being frustrated with my parents coming to my interview day, but I also think that in the end I'm going to be happy to have them. I am also hopeful that my dad just camps out with Wi-fi doing work stuff all day.

Lots of folks brought their parents, boyfriends, etc. to the interviews I went to. Not in the interviews themselves, mind you (wouldn't *that* be awkward?) but on the tours and what not.

I brought my dad went I went to visit Auburn and had him come with me on the tour of the school. While I was trying to come up with specific questions about the program, he asked some pretty basic, but helpful questions about the area, school, etc. I'll definitely be bringing a parent if I get interviews this year... I think I'd be too nervous to go on my own!

Love, love, loved having my dad there. He's really cool and laid back and just hung out and helped calm my nerves and provided some comedic relief. It's definitely a personal choice and one that should be made by you and only you-this is your big chance, and you need to do whatever you have to in order to make sure you're comfortable and performing at your best.

I went pretty much alone to 3 of my 4 interviews. In KS I knew no one. In MN I had a friend that came with me the night before to the shindig at the equine center but she didn't come with me to anything on the actual interview day. In MS I had a friend from high school who was a student there so he was my "big" or whatever they called it. All students had one so it wasn't like it was something extra. At my interview at UF my boyfriend drove up from Miami with me and he came for the tour portion at the end.

At all 4 places there were people with parents/significant others. The only place I felt a little uncomfortable was at KS at the pizza party because it felt like everyone had someone with them and I was alone. But that was probably also because it was my first interview. I wouldn't have brought my dad even if he could have come. He wasn't helpful when we went on college tours in high school so I know what he would have been like for these visits.

My dad came with me to Missouri, mostly because we were looking at buying a house if I happened to go there and he wanted to meet with some realtors. I went on my own to Penn but that's only an hour drive from my parents, so NBD. My boyfriend met up/came with me when I went to the accepted student meetings at Wisconsin and North Carolina. Do whatever will make you comfortable and don't worry about what anyone else is thinking/doing. You need to be at your best that day!

Oregon doesn't interview OOSers. Tufts encourages you to bring at least 1 guest and both of my parents wanted to support me and go. I was glad that they came (and that I ended up not bringing my bf - we were on the rocks anyways!!). When I went, some people didn't bring anyone while others brought a parent and a SO, etc. Anything goes (unless the school says otherwise!)

I think distance from home probably does factor in for most. For me, I went to OSU's interview alone since it's only 2 and a half hours from home and I already had plans to be in Columbus that weekend, but if I don't get into OSU and get an interview to Tennessee, I'd definitely take my dad with me. No fun to travel that far alone.

I brought my mother with me to my Mississippi interview last year. She's usually quite high strung and can stress me out, but she was on pretty good behavior :p so it wasn't really a problem. Since I was flying out from VA and she from MA, we didn't travel together from the get-go. Even though I consider myself very independent for my age, it was still reassuring to have someone else there with me in case we had problems with the rental car, finding the school, etc. etc.. Plus it was nice to have her see the school and get a feel for it, too.

She definitely didn't ask annoying questions or flap her gums when talking to the other parents - I can see how that would be awkward! Actually, something that was kind of cute was that she (discretely) teared up during the information session when they talked about the number of applicants versus how many were interviewed, etc.. It gave me a confidence boost when she told me it was because she was proud of me for getting that far (but not the whole way, unfortunately - never made it off the waitlist! ha)