Interview help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steph_Opto

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for my upcoming interview and would like to hear how some of you answered these questions:

1-how do you deal with stress?
2-if you caught a classmate cheating what would you do?
3- what is your weakness?
4- how would you explain to a child the difference between an optometrist, ophthalmologist and an optician?

Members don't see this ad.

don't overthink the second question.you see somebody acting unethically? Tell them to stop. There are many compelling reasons to do so, namely your friend spent their entire life preparing to go to medical school and they're willing to risk it for a few extra points if they get caught. It's not worth it. I think they're looking for can answer that shows you're an hones person with a good moral compass and integrity.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Everyone has a different way of handling stress. I didn't have that question come up, but I would just say that depending on the urgency, I'll take a step back, relax and come back to the situation with a clear mind. If it's urgent, I accomplish the task/goal at hand. If you want, you could relate that to working as an optometrist and needing to be able to handle stress. I don't know about you, but I tend to take trips periodically to get away from everything and just enjoy what the world has to offer.

2. This is more of an ethics question. They want to hear that you'll inform the professor/teacher. If they ask why, just say that it's fairness. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else to let the student cheat, given that class grades are often curved.

3. Open ended. You can say whatever. I usually pick something I'm weak at and talk about how I'm improving on it. Everyone has weaknesses. It's how you deal with them that's important. The more common approach is to pick a weakness and show how it's a strength, but basically every interviewer's seen that already.

4. See NECO's page: https://www.neco.edu/pdfs/general/Differences.pdf

Simplify it from there. Optometrist is your eye doctor that you would normally see. If you have a bigger problem, you would go and see the ophthalmologist. Opticians help make sure your glasses are ready and are a good fit for you.