1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview in Snowy Climate

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by LMorningStar, Dec 3, 2005.

1. LMorningStar

LMorningStar New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Can anyone provide some tips on how to not mess up your suit and shoes when interviewing very snowing/slushy cold weather? I'm not sure if there would be time/place to change shoes or how to carry the spare shoes (don't have boots) elegantly! How do you deal?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The main sidewalks should be cleared at the medical center, so you shouldn't be walking through too much crap while actually on the interview. Have your hotel store your bags after you check out, then take a shuttle/taxi back there after your interview and change into your civilian clothes before going to the airport...

4. LMorningStar

LMorningStar New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your reply. I have 2 interviews in the same day and plan to taxi from one site to the next. Like you said, the site grounds should be pretty clear, but not the street from which I have to hail a cab.

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    Wear a long coat and boots. Arrive very early and change into your dress shoes. Wrap your boots in plastic and stick them in your backpack. When you are ready to go, put your boots back on and stomp through the slush. If you wear a long coat, your clothing will be protected. You can get cheap chukka boots from Target and wear them to the site.

I interviewed in Rochester, MN in the middle of January with below zero temps and blowing snow. I stashed my boots in my backpack and wore my long wool coat with a long scarf. It worked but I got the worse case of chapped lips from the Minnesota cold. Carry some lip balm too!

You should be arriving early enough to change into your shoes and take a final look for lint and spots anyway. The worse thing you can do is arrive late.

njbmd :)

6. cabinbuilder

cabinbuilder Urgent Care Physician
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you don't have boots and don't want to buy any, you go in the bathroom first thing upon arrival and wipe down your shoes, check you hair, etc.