Interview Invite Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRK Jerk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was wondering what the Rad Onc specific etiquette is given the size of the field. I am pretty geographically restricted in where I want to go for residency (by family constraints), but given how competitive rad onc is, I applied to some awesome institutions that don't meet this geographic bill just to make sure. One of them has offered me an interview. Is it considered rude/a black mark to accept this interview, and then decline it when other interview offers from institutions closer to where I want to be come in? I know in Medicine this is standard practice, but Rad Onc is small enough that I don't want to unnecessarily piss people off (though the argument could be made that I am saving the institution trouble by withdrawing my interview acceptance once I realize there is no chance of ranking that institution).

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm guessing there are not many applicants in your vaunted position. Seriously, you you have to ask yourself a basic question. Would you rather match somewhere you'd rather not live or would you rather not match in Rad Onc at all?

Then you'll have your answer.

If you do end up declining, make sure you call them on top of emailing them. That way you can avoid being thought to be a no show and help make sure some other guy gets a shot. It's easy for email to go overlooked.

Members don't see this ad :)
honger, thanks for the advice.

GFunk, I'm sorry I likely came off as a total ass. I was just writing really quickly. I didn't mean to say I was in a vaunted position or anything. I just don't want to spend $500 to interview at a place that, if I went, I would end up being away from my kid (believe it or not, found out my wife was pregnant about a week after submitting ERAS, and that's a game changer in terms of whether I can seriously do long distance or not).

I don't think you sound like a jerk, and I don't think GFunk thinks you do, either. I do think it's a calculated risk - i.e. matching somewhere unpalatable vs. not matching at all. A family man may prefer the latter.

Remember, the program owes you nothing. As long as you cancel at a reasonable time (I think 1 week would be plenty, if it was for another program). You might even thank them for the offer and tell them the honest truth - that a place closer to you invited you last minute, but you appreciate the offer.

-S

I think what you are purposing to do is reasonable. If you accept an offer in good faith but then a more appealing offer comes in that conflicts with the first offer I think it is reasonable to then cancel. When I say in good faith I mean you are planning on attending that interview and consider ranking the program. I think most PD understand they may not be your first choice. As was said above call right away if you want to cancel. I don't think anyone will try to black list you but it is just polite and it is a small field.

At this point I would not recommend declining an interview in hopes of better ones. I don't know your application but unless you are a super star things are random enough that you want to be collecting all the interviews you can get.