interview invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got an interview and could not be more happy, but in the letter it asked if i have any food requirements. i know this sounds crazy, but i have celiac disease and a few other allergies and i am worried if i admit to any of this i will not get accepted. am i overreacting? what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

i got an interview and could not be more happy, but in the letter it asked if i have any food requirements. i know this sounds crazy, but i have celiac disease and a few other allergies and i am worried if i admit to any of this i will not get accepted. am i overreacting? what should i do?

They're asking if you're vegetarian or whatnot. They're going to feed you lunch. At the interview. They're not asking about your health. Relax.

I know 2 med students with celiac or similar.

i know, but if i write down that i can not have gluten, won't they figure it out?

Members don't see this ad :)
i know, but if i write down that i can not have gluten, won't they figure it out?

Eating is the least interesting thing you'll be doing that day. Prioritize accordingly.

so would it be in my best interest to leave out the food allergy?

Tell them that you are allergic so they can try and accommodate you...this will have less than zero impact on your admissions decision!

yeah, dont worry....and no they wont be able to figure out what you have...they are admission staff!!! they dont know medicine in order to say.."hmm...she has celiac disease, and she will give us a hard time picking out the food."

Our admission staff here asks every interviewee about their food preference, so dont worry and tell them what sort of food you can eat....

Good luck with your interview!

Plenty of docs entered med school with chronic diseases, both known and unknown to admissions staff, beforehand. Also, 1-2 people in each med school class would probably have the same condition. Don't worry. Have them accommodate you so you're not starving on interview day. :thumbup:

And you don't want to eat food you're not supposed to and feel sick all day and maybe not make it to the actual personal interview. :eek: Tell them what you can or can't eat!

this thread demonstrates very clearly the neuroticism of med students

EVERYBODY has some sort of problem(s), so it's not a big deak.

Legitimate concern but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Don't force-feed yourself something you're allergic to just because you want to "appear normal." Besides, at least the places I visited, the interviews happened before lunch.
Trust me, this will not doom you to a rejection letter.