Interview mishaps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedstress23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last cycle, I had one interview where I was wait listed, but I honestly felt that the interview was what caused my waitlist because for a lack of better words,the interview was rushed. I was the last interviewee (it was randomly predetermined order) for the day and the psychiatrist interviewing me had another applicant before me and the administration had to go into the room 5 times and tell them to wrap it up because every applicant only got 20-30 min. This applicant took almost an hour and would have been longer if the admin did not interrupt saying there is another applicant. The whole time, I kept a discrete track of the interview and noticed, she kept cutting me off. For instance, my intro didn't even get pass hi- my name is X and I am from Y before she rushed on to the next question. She seemed very disengaged and ironically, her student observing her was much more interested in the interview. She kept looking at her watch the whole time and it was suppose to be MMI but all I got was random questions. She didn't even let me finish asking questions- she cut me off saying that oh I am sorry time is up but you can ask this person. WTF! I felt very discouraged because everyone I talked to got an actual nice interview. I was too worried about timing because she kept looking at her watch. The interview lasted about a little over 7 minutes bc she had to play catchup. I wanted to complain but I had no idea who to even talk to bc I did not know who to talk to and also did not want to come across as whiny or bratty. How would you guys have dealt with this?

Members don't see this ad.

The opacity of this process is unfortunate. These things happen and I feel for you. I might have talked to someone in the admissions office but at the same time I probably would have done nothing.

How many interviews did you have last cycle? It's a hit and miss with interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 8 interviews and did not get into an MD school until early June. Then I got into my top choice in mid-June. You just have to accept that you have NO CONTROL over any of this.

Reactions: 2 users
Last cycle, I had one interview where I was wait listed, but I honestly felt that the interview was what caused my waitlist

If this was your only interview last cycle, then there was probably another flag in your app besides the interview
If you had multiple interviews but got into no schools, I'd evaluate your interviewing skills.
If you got into and are currently attending medical school, then forget about it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry this happened. I have heard at MMIs the lowest section is sometimes dropped. They may have dropped that station for you.

There is no sense, what so ever, in placing the blame on situations out of your control. I once had a student-interviewer who seemed very upset I had no interest in traveling the middle east, and was strangely persistent about it. (why he thought someone of heavily irish catholic decent should have an overwhelming drive to do so i don' know!)

You need to look at how you can improve your app anyway - and show you've reflected on it in reapplication essays You can't ride on it being fine but for that. I think Goro has recommended you contact the admissions dean for inappropriate interviews but I'd sure be afraid to.

1) contact admissions dean, 2nd interviews aren't unheard of. This won't blacklist you if you're afraid of that, and you certainly won't be worse off
2) Sometimes interviewers are douches and there's nothing you can do about it. Twice I've been interviewed by people with the emotional range of a cinderblock who clearly had no interest in me and were never going to let me in. It sucks but it's just reality.

Last edited: