Interview Predicament. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dual Citizen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I received an e-mail today from Louisville about an interview on August 29th. I just started a job that pays well and will help me save for dental school. They don't know that I am leaving for dental school in 1 year. I need a minimum of 30 days to get time off.

Should I ask to reschedule my interview for a later date? Will it hurt my chances of admission? How often do most schools have interview dates?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how confident you are that you'll get into the school you want. If you have the stats and are fairly confident this won't make a difference, go ahead and reschedule. How many interviews do you anticipate?

You might have to use a sick day. I know at this point you might not have any sick days and that you might be on probation at work but if you can't get someone to switch with you or get the day off, it might be better to just be "sick".

Depending on the job you might say you are "sick" but will work from home part of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is pretty tricky, but I would find a way to make it to the interview because in the end of the day dentistry will be your career.

Are you a Kentucky resident? When did you submit your app?

Can you ask if you can start your employment later? If you can't delay, you may have to be sick one day or take a later interview. This is not the best situation but you'll get through it!

If you're serious about getting into dental school this cycle... then I highly recommend calling in "sick" or using some sort of family emergency time... dental school admissions is very competitive... the earlier your interview the better off you'll be for a 12/1 acceptance

Just call in and tell them that you have explosive diarrhea.

I think Grandpa will die on August 26 or 27 and you have to go to the funeral on August 29th.

I would definately call the school and tell them your situation. Obviously the school is interested in you and moving the interview back 1 week won't make any difference. If your interview is before Dec 1 it's early and you'll have a great chance of getting accepted. Good luck.

One more thing. Interview day is stressful enough on its own and the last thing you need is to worry about is calling in sick the morning of and potentially getting caught in a lie. Just sayin.

you can always burn down your office building and/or maim your boss

youve already submitted your apps so there wont be any more pesky ethics questions