Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interview Predicament. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dual Citizen, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Dual Citizen

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So I received an e-mail today from Louisville about an interview on August 29th. I just started a job that pays well and will help me save for dental school. They don't know that I am leaving for dental school in 1 year. I need a minimum of 30 days to get time off.

Should I ask to reschedule my interview for a later date? Will it hurt my chances of admission? How often do most schools have interview dates?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. slm266

slm266 Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Depends how confident you are that you'll get into the school you want. If you have the stats and are fairly confident this won't make a difference, go ahead and reschedule. How many interviews do you anticipate?

4. godless

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You might have to use a sick day. I know at this point you might not have any sick days and that you might be on probation at work but if you can't get someone to switch with you or get the day off, it might be better to just be "sick".

Depending on the job you might say you are "sick" but will work from home part of the day.

5. Logs

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    that is pretty tricky, but I would find a way to make it to the interview because in the end of the day dentistry will be your career.

6. Goose340

Pre-Dental
    Are you a Kentucky resident? When did you submit your app?

7. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Can you ask if you can start your employment later? If you can't delay, you may have to be sick one day or take a later interview. This is not the best situation but you'll get through it!

8. Rubber Dam Man

Rubber Dam Man protecting you since 1950
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you're serious about getting into dental school this cycle... then I highly recommend calling in "sick" or using some sort of family emergency time... dental school admissions is very competitive... the earlier your interview the better off you'll be for a 12/1 acceptance

9. terry gordy

Removed

Just call in and tell them that you have explosive diarrhea.

10. youknowthedrill

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think Grandpa will die on August 26 or 27 and you have to go to the funeral on August 29th.

11. persenmi

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would definately call the school and tell them your situation. Obviously the school is interested in you and moving the interview back 1 week won't make any difference. If your interview is before Dec 1 it's early and you'll have a great chance of getting accepted. Good luck.

One more thing. Interview day is stressful enough on its own and the last thing you need is to worry about is calling in sick the morning of and potentially getting caught in a lie. Just sayin.

12. nlbaker7

5+ Year Member

you can always burn down your office building and/or maim your boss

youve already submitted your apps so there wont be any more pesky ethics questions

13. AwesomeTeeth

But then he won't get paid. He might as well quit the job then and save himself the jail time.