Interview Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alwayslight

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! So I know NRMP has data up and stuff ... but I was wondering if anyone personally knew the answer to this question:

How many candidates do you think the average PM&R program interviews? A ballpark figure is cool! 50? 100? 500? lol

(I ask this b/c I know my friends who are interviewing for medicine have stated that IM programs will interview about 300 people ... but that can't be true for PM&R??? Can it!? :scared: )

Thanks in advance! I'm not even in PM&R (yet) and being active in this forum for some reason already makes me feel like I'm a part of it =)
 
Hey! So I know NRMP has data up and stuff ... but I was wondering if anyone personally knew the answer to this question:

How many candidates do you think the average PM&R program interviews? A ballpark figure is cool! 50? 100? 500? lol

Depends on the size and quality of the program, but figure about 10 candidates per residency spot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10:1 is a pretty good rule of thumb

I have heard of some smaller programs that have only a handful of interview days (4-5). not sure if they pack them (10-12 applicants) per day, but I would imagine they wouldn't extend many interviews to fill 3-4 spots.
 
A data point - Colorado interviewed 15-20 when i visited them last year. They had 5 dates and, i believe, 4 spots +1 for peds-pmr. There could have been more just on my day because peds-pmr interviewed that day as well.
 
Two different residency program directors at two different-size programs told me interviews were 10:1 interviewees:resident slots (like others have posted). For the top-tier programs, they get about 100:1 applications:resident slots. In other words, for every one incoming resident, they give 10 interviews, and get 100 applications.