• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

PharmDstudent23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
When a interviewee asks about my weakness, can i talk openly about how i need to improve my communication skills as it communication is going to be the key aspect of my career. Will it count against me or will it be in favor of me to talk about a weakness like communication skills? If someone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Also, does anyone have an interview with South University tomorrow at 1 pm. If yes please let me know..thank you.:)

Dr.Hafeza

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
When a interviewee asks about my weakness, can i talk openly about how i need to improve my communication skills as it communication is going to be the key aspect of my career. Will it count against me or will it be in favor of me to talk about a weakness like communication skills? If someone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Also, does anyone have an interview with South University tomorrow at 1 pm. If yes please let me know..thank you.:)

Noooooo! Don't say that! They WANT someone with good communication skills already inherent.
The way to talk about a weakness is to take a good trait, and take it to the extreme....Like you're too friendly, or you're too careful (to the point you think you have OCD :) j/k), or something else...but you get the idea, never mention any "defect" you think you have...it could just be YOU alone who thinks that way, and others think you have great communication skills, etc.

PharmDstudent23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate it. I will keep that in mind for my future interviews..:)

About the Ads

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate it. I will keep that in mind for my future interviews..:)

If you do use an overlydone generally considered positive thing, make sure it is an actual weakness. Otherwise you're BS'ing and they hate that. I don't see any problem mentioning communication if you address it properly. You'd want to make sure that the first thing they know is that it's a weakness you're working on. Your ability to "communicate" this to them will give them an idea how bad your skills are. If it's really bad, it doesn't matter what weakness you picked because they're just trying to figure out your communication skills anyway and now they know. If it's not that bad and they know that you're working on it, it could be a boost. Be prepared to let them know how you're addressing the weakness, whatever it is. For communication skills you may be taking a speech class, attend a public speaking group like Toastmasters or whatever. (ESL classes or conversational English classes if that applies to you.)

GatorRxGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Somewhere on the beach.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Don't say "I'm bad at communicating." Say "In my pharmacy education I hope to improve on communication skills and am looking forward to learn the 'right' way to communicate with other health care professionals and patients." or something like that. Turn the negative into a positive.

How was your interview by the way? Were you the guy wearing the long sleeved tee shirt? heehee

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.