1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Interview Question- Answer (South university)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PharmDstudent23, Feb 15, 2007.

1. PharmDstudent23

PharmDstudent23 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    When a interviewee asks about my weakness, can i talk openly about how i need to improve my communication skills as it communication is going to be the key aspect of my career. Will it count against me or will it be in favor of me to talk about a weakness like communication skills? If someone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Also, does anyone have an interview with South University tomorrow at 1 pm. If yes please let me know..thank you.:)

2. Dr.Hafeza

2+ Year Member

Noooooo! Don't say that! They WANT someone with good communication skills already inherent.
    The way to talk about a weakness is to take a good trait, and take it to the extreme....Like you're too friendly, or you're too careful (to the point you think you have OCD :) j/k), or something else...but you get the idea, never mention any "defect" you think you have...it could just be YOU alone who thinks that way, and others think you have great communication skills, etc.

3. OP
    OP
    PharmDstudent23

PharmDstudent23 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate it. I will keep that in mind for my future interviews..:)

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you do use an overlydone generally considered positive thing, make sure it is an actual weakness. Otherwise you're BS'ing and they hate that. I don't see any problem mentioning communication if you address it properly. You'd want to make sure that the first thing they know is that it's a weakness you're working on. Your ability to "communicate" this to them will give them an idea how bad your skills are. If it's really bad, it doesn't matter what weakness you picked because they're just trying to figure out your communication skills anyway and now they know. If it's not that bad and they know that you're working on it, it could be a boost. Be prepared to let them know how you're addressing the weakness, whatever it is. For communication skills you may be taking a speech class, attend a public speaking group like Toastmasters or whatever. (ESL classes or conversational English classes if that applies to you.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GatorRxGirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Don't say "I'm bad at communicating." Say "In my pharmacy education I hope to improve on communication skills and am looking forward to learn the 'right' way to communicate with other health care professionals and patients." or something like that. Turn the negative into a positive.

How was your interview by the way? Were you the guy wearing the long sleeved tee shirt? heehee