interview question for someone with research background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super Mari0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I did a masters and lots of research as an undergraduate. I need help with how to address an interview question.

I could be asked on the interview "Why not pursue a Phd?".

After I started my masters, I discovered that I didn't really like research b/c its very very independent. There is very little interaction with other people in my field. Is it ok to tell the interviewer you want to pursue medicine because it gives you a chance to work with other people.

The other reason that research doesn't always work and I find it very frustrating. But, I don't think its really a good idea to talk about this since it sort of shows a negative point...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I did a masters and lots of research as an undergraduate. I need help with how to address an interview question.

After I started my masters, I discovered that I didn't really like research b/c its very very independent. There is very little interaction with other people in my field. Is it ok to tell the interviewer you want to pursue medicine because it gives you a chance to work with other people.

The other reason that research doesn't always work and I find it very frustrating. But, I don't think its really a good idea to talk about this since it sort of shows a negative point...
Chances are the PhD thing won't come up.

It's critical that you are positive with everything you say. At the high end, research success is more about group dynamics and personal interplay than many people realize. You do not know who will be reading your file or interviewing you, and you can offend people quickly. That's the kiss of death at a medical school interview. People are very touchy - especially those that value or exclusively conduct research.

Better to use your past endeavors in a positive way regarding how it brought you to a medical career.

Good luck!

I also doubt you would be asked why you didn't pursue a PhD. But you could say something like, "I feel that my skills and interests are better suited to working hands on in clinical settings with patients."

This focuses on the positive and shouldn't offend anyone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I was asked "why not PhD" in my interviews and I used it as a segue to "why I chose medicine".

Recap:
1. Don't knock any field, degree, career choice, religion, political viewpoint, etc.

2. Express your reasons in positive terms. "I discovered that my passion was with patient care" vs. "I hated research because I never talked to anybody and it was so repetitive"

3. If there is time, share a personal experience where you had a "change of heart". E.g. "I wanted to do research until I volunteered in at a nursing home...blah blah blah".

Hi,

I liked seelee's answer.

1) Don't say you didn't like research because it is very independent. That's just not the right wording. Better say that you really like interaction with people, etc.

2) Don't say that research doesn't always work.
Because:
a) Researchers will get offended.
b) Medicine doesn't always work either.

2) Don't say that research doesn't always work.
Because:
a) Researchers will get offended.
b) Medicine doesn't always work either.

Snap! I totally missed that part.

OP, if you are sour on research because it "doesn't work" (I take that you mean the experiments don't always work or give you the results you want) then you really need to think about medicine.

In medicine you are working with sick people. Very sick people with a list of comorbidities longer than my...well...long. Very seldom is a physician able to cure a patient. Most of the time, we treat their chronic illness, trying to keep them from dying for as long as possible.

Before you head down this road, spend a few hours and shadow a hospitalist in an inpatient setting.

Good luck.

Hi,

I got asked the "why not a phd" question last year and I turned it around into "why medicine" by saying that I am interested in research but I have a passion for medicine. I happen to loathe research as much as it sounds like you do, but I never let that come across in my conversations. I also mentioned the interacting with people bit, but worded it like "one of my favorite aspects of research is being able to talk about my work with other people (ie conferences) which is why medicine is such a thrill for me because I'd get to do that every day by talking to patients." Or something like that.