Interview Question Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallfries2005

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I need everyone’s help on what the interviewers are looking for when they ask “if not dentistry, then what would your career of choice be?”
Are they looking for you to say that you wouldn’t want any other career and that you would pursue it until you got it? Or are they wanting a career that utilizes similar skills as dentistry like a general surgeon?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think they want you to be honest. If your whole life is about dentistry and nothing else then that’s not very stable if you can’t get into school. Let them know that Dentistry is by far your first choice, but you have other career ideas or interests you can pursue if that falls through. It’s kind of like a person obsessed with playing football. After they blow their knee out, what are they going to do with the rest of their life.

Reactions: 1 user
You have spent 4 years of college concentrating on gaining admittance to dental school, taking and completing the required courses which took up most of your academic schedule in college. A lot of time and consideration was put into this endeavor. If after the application cycle ends and you do not get into dental school, you will give your choices some additional serious thought and consideration. You will either reapply the following cycle and work on improving you application, or you will move into a new direction, depending on how you find your circumstances at the time.
You do not have to have a firm alternate plan at this time. Don't back yourself into a corner. Identify yourself to the adcom with this question as a thinker and problem solver.

Members don't see this ad :)
If after first failed attempt to get admitted into dental school you start looking for something else, then you are not that serious about dentistry at all.
I told that I will reapply

Oh jeez, I had this question, we'll find out Dec 1st if my answer was a good one xD

I don't remember exactly what I said but I think I started off my reply with "assuming that I do not gain acceptance after multiple attempts, I would..."

Are they looking for you to say that you wouldn’t want any other career and that you would pursue it until you got it?

An interviewer once told me that there's no real 'wrong' answer here, they just want to see that you've realistically considered other career options and have a mature outlook on selecting a professional career.