Interview question--tell me a joke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive read the other threads on this topic, but they didnt really answer my question, which is how often does this question come up? have any of you had to answer it? If so, what kind of jokes did you use?

I did a little research on business interviews, and it seems like they recommend not even answering the question at all, but saying something like "all jokes denigrate some group of people so I dont tell them." this seems a little over the top, but wondering if anyone has avoided this question by saying something similar.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive read the other threads on this topic, but they didnt really answer my question, which is how often does this question come up? have any of you had to answer it? If so, what kind of jokes did you use?

I did a little research on business interviews, and it seems like they recommend not even answering the question at all, but saying something like "all jokes denigrate some group of people so I dont tell them." this seems a little over the top, but wondering if anyone has avoided this question by saying something similar.
Wow. I wouldn't give that guy a job...ever. You don't have to denigrate people or anything like that. He/She would be the worst buzzkill EVER at the office/workplace.

I'd just make sure the joke wasn't offensive, which isn't hard to do. That and don't use explicit language.

What do you call a dog with no legs?

It doesn't matter because it isn't coming anyways!

Just use that one to show you're not a psychopath... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
WHAT WAS THE PIRATE MOVIE RATED?

:hijacked: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :hijacked:

^^^^ Denigration of Somali pirates

What do you call a dog with no legs?

It doesn't matter because it isn't coming anyways!

Just use that one to show you're not a psychopath... ;)
There are two cats - One Two Three cat and Un, Deux Trois Cat. They're in a swimming race against each other.

Who won?

One Two Three cat

Because Un, Deux Trois Quatre Cinq

Doctor my son's swallowed a pen! what do i do?
use a pencil

Doctor i think i'm suffering from De Ja Vu!
didn't i see you yesterday?

There are two cats - One Two Three cat and Un, Deux Trois Cat. They're in a swimming race against each other.

Who won?

One Two Three cat

Because Un, Deux Trois Quatre Cinq

I lol'd at this. I may or may not use it if this question comes up. :thumbup:

Why did Michael Jackson go to walmart?

Did you hear about the pig that got up on my roof?

Well, apparently the swine flu.

Me: Knock knock
Interviewer: Who's there?
M: Interrupting cow
I: Interrupting co-
M: MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*accept*

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you call someone who fails their med school interview?

A dentist. lol

I'm a fan of of wordplay and puns

I was watching baseball, and I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger and bigger. Then it hit me.

A dude walks into a bar.... Ouch

A baby seal walks into a club.

Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat minor.

I'm a fan of of wordplay and puns

I was watching baseball, and I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger and bigger. Then it hit me.

A dude walks into a bar.... Ouch

A baby seal walks into a club.

Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat minor.

cleavername says ur cleaver

So how often do you think question actually comes up?

Here is a good one:

Japanese archelogist: they recently dug up this site and found telegraph lines. proves that our ancestors knew telegraph.
English arch : thats nothing. they dug up our site and found telephone lines. proves that our ancestors knew the use of telephones.
Indian scientist:Guys, sorry to disappoint you, but that's peanuts. They dug up our sites and found absolutely nothing!
Jap and Eng arch: What the hell does that prove?
Indian: that our ancestors knew wireless!

^Arrrrrrginine

Have you heard about the courduroy pillow?

It's making headlines!

Hey did you guys know that diarrhea is hereditary?

Yeah, it runs in the jeans.

Two statues are in the dark. One says to the other "hey, statue?"

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/steven_wright.html

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

At one point he decided enough was enough.

Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he just whipped out a quarter?

Don't you hate when your hand falls asleep and you know it will be up all night.

Ever notice how irons have a setting for permanent press? I don't get it.

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out.

George is a radio announcer, and when he walks under a bridge... you can't hear him talk.

Hermits have no peer pressure.

How young can you die of old age?

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.

I bought some instant water one time but I didn't know what to add to it.

I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

I got a chain letter by fax. It's very simple. You just fax a dollar bill to everybody on the list.

I got this powdered water - now I don't know what to add.

I had a friend who was a clown. When he died, all his friends went to the funeral in one car.

I had some eyeglasses. I was walking down the street when suddenly the prescription ran out.

I had to stop driving my car for a while... the tires got dizzy.

I have an answering machine in my car. It says, I'm home now. But leave a message and I'll call when I'm out.

I have an existential map. It has 'You are here' written all over it.

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it.

I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

I installed a skylight in my apartment... the people who live above me are furious!

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

I invented the cordless extension cord.

I like to reminisce with people I don't know.

I live on a one-way street that's also a dead end. I'm not sure how I got there.

I met this wonderful girl at Macy's. She was buying clothes and I was putting Slinkies on the escalator.

I play the harmonica. The only way I can play is if I get my car going really fast, and stick it out the window.

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back in time.

I remember when the candle shop burned down. Everyone stood around singing 'Happy Birthday.'

I replaced the headlights in my car with strobe lights, so it looks like I'm the only one moving.

I saw a bank that said "24 Hour Banking," but I don't have that much time.

I saw a subliminal advertising executive, but only for a second.

I stayed in a really old hotel last night. They sent me a wake-up letter.

I think God's going to come down and pull civilization over for speeding.

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place.

I was a peripheral visionary. I could see the future, but only way off to the side.

I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything.

I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I was walking down the street wearing glasses when the prescription ran out.

I watched the Indy 500, and I was thinking that if they left earlier they wouldn't have to go so fast.

I went down the street to the 24-hour grocery. When I got there, the guy was locking the front door. I said, 'Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours.' He said, 'Yes, but not in a row.'

I went to a general store but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?" I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar."

I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms from the statues that are in all the other museums.

I wrote a few children's books... not on purpose.

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.

I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?

If God dropped acid, would he see people?

If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny.

If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?

If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen?

If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses.

If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?

If you tell a joke in the forest, but nobody laughs, was it a joke?

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel over what I considered to be an odd number.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

It doesn't make a difference what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.

It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Last week the candle factory burned down. Everyone just stood around and sang Happy Birthday.

Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish.

My friend has a baby. I'm recording all the noises he makes so later I can ask him what he meant.

My neighbor has a circular driveway... he can't get out.

My roommate got a pet elephant. Then it got lost. It's in the apartment somewhere.

My theory of evolution is that Darwin was adopted.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.

So, do you live around here often?

Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.

The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to Alaska. Now Santa Claus is missing.

The other day I... uh, no, that wasn't me.

There was a power outage at a department store yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

What a nice night for an evening.

What's another word for Thesaurus?

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

When I was a kid, I went to the store and asked the guy, Do you have any toy train schedules?

When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?"

When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, "Did you sleep good?" I said "No, I made a few mistakes."

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Ultra nerds and joke telling don't mix. The joke always comes out to be super cheesy. As in 200% cheddar.

A photon checks into a hotel.

The concierge asks: "Do you have any luggage?"

The photon says: "No. I'm traveling light."

[YOUTUBE]7yl3UMO-TkE[/YOUTUBE]

saddam hussein is in jail and the guards bring him a laptop. they say, 'youve got to write your memoirs! you're going to die soon so you need to get your story down.'

saddam throws the laptop at the cell wall. "ahhh!!!" he cries, "i can't write my memoirs--I'm a dictator!!!!!"

i have two wives...but treat both of them equally. isn't that big o' me?

Chuck Norris doesn't have a chin under his beard, he has a third fist.

Why did Hellen Keller's dog commit suicide? Well, wouldn't you if your name was (Incoherent moaning)?

Also: Two bacteria walk into a bar. The bartender stops them and says "We don't serve bacteria here."
The bacteria reply "But we work here- we're staph!"

I would use this probably:

Why did Chuck Norris destroy the periodic table?

Because Chuck Norris only recognizes one element... the element of surprise

Two cats are on a roof. Which one falls off first?

The one with the lower μ.

roflcopter.

Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced a severe calluses on his feet. He did not eat much, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he also had horrible breath. I suppose you could say he was a super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Don't refuse to tell a joke. Go with something that isn't blatantly racist, sexist, or psychopathic. Speak clearly and don't have your interviewers falling asleep also.

Personal story: when I was interviewing for high schools, I actually was asked this question. Told a really long and involved joke that had my interviewers incredibly bored. One looked behind him out the window at a clock tower as a time check. I knew my interviewers were bored as heck but I was somewhat trapped into telling the joke. When I FINALLY got to the punchline I left out a few verbs and my voice started going horse a bit. After I told the punchline the interviewers all looked at each other as if to say "What the ****?". I realized after that I had told it completely wrong and they probably couldn't even hear me near the end because I was so sick lol.

Just don't epic fail.

Why was the protein beating up all the lipids???

Cuz he was A-Mean-O Acid

So a horse walks into a bar, and the bartender asks "Why the long face?"

Little Timmy wakes up in the middle of the night, and being an inquisitive little fellow, investigates the moaning coming from his parents bedroom.

Timmy, not surprisingly, finds his Dad plowing his Mom like there's no tomorrow. Timmy, gasps and runs away. Dad chuckles, while Mom concerned about the her little darlings mental health, scolds her husband for laughing, and sends him to have a chat w/ Timmy.

Dad goes and checks Tim's room, and finds it empty. Then Dad notices some funny noises coming from the guest bedroom. Upon entering he sees Timmy, balls deep in his grandmother.

Dad says "What the **** is wrong w/ you Tim!"

Tim looks over his shoulder and replies "Yeah, not so funny when it's YOUR mom, is it?"

Two cats are on a roof. Which one falls off first?

The one with the lower μ.

roflcopter.

What's bad is that my physics teacher told us that one in class and he waited until we all gave serious answers (we didn't know it was a joke at the time) and then he hit us with the punchline. You could hear the whole class groan!

[FONT=times new roman,helvetica]A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says.
The bartender promptly serves up a beer.
"How much will that be?" asks the neutron.
"For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge" .