Interview Question: Whats your greatest weakness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybe.a.dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, what are acceptable weaknesses? To be honest my biggest weaknesses are issues with depression and low confidence, but I'm thinking that's almost the worst thing I can say besides liking to hurt/kill people. What should I say? I'm drawing a blank here on how to answer without raising huge red flags.

Bonus Points, for questions regarding overcoming adversity, I feel like the biggest issue I went through was my family's poverty when I was a child. However, as a child I obviously didn't really overcome it, my parents did, can I still use this?

Members don't see this ad.

I think what the question is trying to see, is how you grow from your weaknesses. Like if you have issues with low-confidence, how does this affect you? Maybe push you to push your limits and gain greater confidence?

I was preparing for my nova interview but they did not ask me this. I have a friend who was grilled on his interview because of this question. depression is a huge weakness for dentistry. I will say you work out to make your body positively or you watch Joel Osteen's videos everyday. Tell them how you are gonna overcome your weakness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weakness should sound like an asset. Like an obsessive desire to be on time , which causes you to plan too far ahead and come well in advance. Or being extremely competitive, which negatively effects your personal life. Or inability to refuse help, which overwhelms you sometimes, because you are too tired from too much work

Weakness should sound like an asset. Like an obsessive desire to be on time , which causes you to plan too far ahead and come well in advance. Or being extremely competitive, which negatively effects your personal life. Or inability to refuse help, which overwhelms you sometimes, because you are too tired from too much work

Just be sure to elaborate because they may ask follow up questions.

This question is my greatest weakness

Reactions: 15 users
Personally, I said my greatest weakness was I do not take constructive criticism very well because I use to take it really personally but then I explained a few ways how I have over come it, and how I was able to see the only reason I am receiving this criticism is so I can better myself in what I am doing and better help other people. Just an example for you!

Reactions: 1 user
You should take your weakness and then turn it around into a strength, basically make it look like you learn from or grow from it," an example with me -->, My weakness is that I tend to overthink a lot and that causes the task at hand or situation I am in to be more complicated than it seems, but because of that I ask for advice from my friends and family and use that as constructive criticism to get that job done or whatever.. blah blah....

Reactions: 1 user
The interview, like anything else in business or life, is about preparation. Luck comes to the most prepared. With that said, there are lots of books, articles, online resources regarding interviewing techniques, questions, body language, etc. Use some resources from your own schools. The business schools preps their students for interviews, see if you can get onboard with them. This message board is not loaded with interviewers and some of the advice might not be pertinent or even worthwhile. In your school's psych dept, see if there is an industrial psychologist. They are really the experts in this field.