Interview question: "Where have you interviewed so far?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope that interviews are going well for everyone. I was very curious to hear how others are answering the interview question: "So, applicant x, where have you interview so far?" Or "What has been your favorite program so far?"

So far I have just been answering honestly. How have you been answering this question? Is it legal for programs to ask this question?

Members don't see this ad.

I've answered honestly so far and have been accepted to a school where this has happened. However, I hear some people say you should answer by being vague about which schools you've applied/interviewed at then get more specific if they press you for more detail.

I think this question is legal. I think they're trying to understand your application process and what kind of schools you're looking at (whether it's research heavy or maybe regional preferences).

I'd answer the "where have you interviewed so far" question as honestly as you feel comfortable with. The "what has your favorite program been so far" question, I'd try to avoid - something like "I'm not sure - I'm keeping an open mind - there are parts of every program that I like right now". It's not going to help you to answer this, only hurt.

The only caveat to this is if you're interviewing with someone that you know and trust (ie - your mentor), in which case being evasive will come off as weird.