Interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I hope all is well, and I hope that everyone's interview season is going well/ will go well.

I have a quick question on one particular interview topic that's been tripping me up a bit:

Is "What makes you unique" the same as (or similar) to "Why should we pick you?"

The reason I am asking is because I've been doing mock interviews with faculty at my school/with friends, and have just been working on some "typical" questions, and this came up as "what makes you unique". But if I was asked "why should we pick you over someone else", would it be applicable to use what I would like to talk about from the other question.

I'm not sure if they are "the same", but I think they are similar...

Feedback on this?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just talk about your good qualities, like punctuality, good hand skills, high moral standards, honesty

Just talk about your good qualities, like punctuality, good hand skills, high moral standards, honesty
Would you say this is better for "why should we pick you over others"? I would like to talk about a situation I've had while growing up, and it's shaped me..it's not something many people go through, so I would definitely like to share this when discussing what makes me unique.

I do like your idea, but wouldn't these skills be typical of most applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say this is better for "why should we pick you over others"? I would like to talk about a situation I've had while growing up, and it's shaped me..it's not something many people go through, so I would definitely like to share this when discussing what makes me unique.

I do like your idea, but wouldn't these skills be typical of most applicants?
Sure. Since not all people have "shaping situations", I gave general advice. They mostly want to hear about your good qualities and understand who you are

Reactions: 1 user
Sure. Since not all people have "shaping situations", I gave general advice. They mostly want to hear about your good qualities and understand who you are
When you state good qualities, do I need like an example for each quality or can I just say the qualities? I'm never sure, like if I were to say I am hardworking and always aim high. Can I tell them how I was top of my class in every chem class or are they looking for a more moving story? (I'm not using what I mentioned above but just giving an example)

When you state good qualities, do I need like an example for each quality or can I just say the qualities? I'm never sure, like if I were to say I am hardworking and always aim high. Can I tell them how I was top of my class in every chem class or are they looking for a more moving story? (I'm not using what I mentioned above but just giving an example)
See, I think with things like that, they can say "ok, so do many other people", which is unfortunate since things like the qualities you mentioned are important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, I think with things like that, they can say "ok, so do many other people", which is unfortunate since things like the qualities you mentioned are important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree but do they expect every applicant to have a unique story that really sets them aside. I think generally speaking, we are all hardworking, dedicated and focused individuals. We wouldn't have gotten this far if we weren't. But shouldnt that be enough for to get through dental school? :eyebrow:

I agree but do they expect every applicant to have a unique story that really sets them aside. I think generally speaking, we are all hardworking, dedicated and focused individuals. We wouldn't have gotten this far if we weren't. But shouldnt that be enough for to get through dental school? :eyebrow:
Yeah I know what you mean; giving them that story really helps to form an empathetic bridge, and I believe it's much better than saying "I work hard, have amazing hand skills,...."etc. After all, it's about what makes you unique right?