interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qaztake82

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what would you say to the question "what will you bring to this institution?" besides yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually got asked that at two of my interviews....it seems to be a common question.

Just say somehting about how you'll be a team player and work with your fellow classmates to get through this together. I think they like to hear that. For me, it was the truth. I'm all about organizing study sessions, giving out my notes, etc, etc.

What you will learn in D-school is that you are all in this together. Adcoms don't want to admit a bunch of gunners....so don't say something like "I am an intelligent person, good leader......blah blah" These are good answers I suppose, but are probably said by just about every applicant that walks through the door. Stay away from the canned answers. Tell them something unique about you, and only you, and back it up with examples/experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was asked this question at Columbia, I told them that I thought my good looks spoke for themself. My interviewer gave a feigned laugh and said "ok, but really - what can you bring here?" I told him I was serious. I got accepted. Hey, honesty is the best policy man.

Saying you're a team player is as canned as any answer, but that doesn't make it bad. Most of us in dental school probably gave similar canned answers to that question - I'm smart, a team player, etc. The best advice I can give you is to know yourself very well and be passionate about what you want.

To answer your question though, tell your interviewer what you're interested in doing during dental school. Organized dentistry, research, volunteering in community outreach programs, etc. Research the schools to find out what they have to offer for your interests. This gives you an opportunity to show why you're interested in that specific dental school.

DDSSlave said:
Saying you're a team player is as canned as any answer, but that doesn't make it bad. Most of us in dental school probably gave similar canned answers to that question - I'm smart, a team player, etc. The best advice I can give you is to know yourself very well and be passionate about what you want.

To answer your question though, tell your interviewer what you're interested in doing during dental school. Organized dentistry, research, volunteering in community outreach programs, etc. Research the schools to find out what they have to offer for your interests. This gives you an opportunity to show why you're interested in that specific dental school.

Yes. You are right..... But my point was(which I guess wasn't too clear in my previous post), give a canned answer THEN back it up with personal experiences/personality traits that make your "canned answer" unique. By just saying"I'm smart" or a "team player" it really doesn't get you anywhere. Back it up. Give them an example of why you are smart. Give them an example of why you are a team player. Give them an example of why you are compassionate.....preferably examples that are not in your application or essay. This gives them a chance to learn something NEW about you, which is kinda what the interview is all about.

Say You have the ablility to MOTIVATE MOTIVATE MOTIVATE others!!

I would say that I bring "gravitas". Because like Ron Burgundy said, "I don't know how to tell you this.... but I'm kind of a big deal." If you need to back it up, say, "People know me." And if they STILL want more, say," I have many leatherbound books." or "My apartment smells of rich mahogany."