Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going over questions for my upcoming interview and I am having trouble answering one of questions. The question is what are your weaknesses? What a difficult question. How do you put this negative question and turn it into a positive explanation. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

We were advised to pick things that don't really sound "that bad." For example:
I tend to be a work-aholic.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist. (this is the one I used, which also happens to be true)

i hate that question cause nobody is going to admit to their worest weakness

and nobody doesn't have a weakness
so it defeats the point of the question and puts one in the position of having to premake one.

my premade ones are which are also true by the way:

1) i am presistent (i never don't quit whenever body else tells me to quit)
2) i am superstituion (sp?) - ( i come from a culture where if you sneeze when you are leaving the house you have to wait 10mins to leave)

Members don't see this ad :)
I said things like:

* I tend to ramble on when expressing ideas.
* I avoid confrontation when I think it will alienate others.
* I wish I were more proactive at trying new things.
* I'm less comfortable in large crowds than in small crowds.

redhead said:
I am going over questions for my upcoming interview and I am having trouble answering one of questions. The question is what are your weaknesses? What a difficult question. How do you put this negative question and turn it into a positive explanation. Any ideas?

I tend to let fists fly when I get aggrevated. And I like to break things sometimes. :laugh:

Stick to weaknesses that when looked at a certain way are good things. for example, working too much or stubbornness. The interviewer isnt goign to spend a massive amount time on any one question, unless you give a unique answer or something they find interesting. Also, theres a good probability you wont here this question. I went to six interviews, and I think I got this question twice(@ Nova and I cant remember the other school), maybe 3 times.

* I have a hard time working with people who aren't concerned with end results/don't care.

** I can become overly focused on personal goals and not enjoy the ride.

I got this at BU, and I don't know why it threw me off, but I ended up saying that sometimes I give myself a hard time about not being able to do everything all of the time (like staying in to study but being upset that I'm not partying, or letting my room get messy when school gets tough)...I need to cut myself some slack and remember that at least I do a good job prioritizing. I kind of bungled it a bit, but I think it was good that it didn't sound like a canned response.

i've been an ax-murderer for the past ten years and have buried the bodies in my backyard, but am in therapy now and have progressed to only performing tooth extractions without anesthesia on innocent bystanders. :D

ask a stupid question, get a facetious answer...

now if only i had the courage to really say that on an interview ;)