interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

how do you guys respond to the interview question "why this program?", if you know absolutely nothing about the program? where do you get information about a program in order to answer this question? is it enough to look up the program's website? do you just mention some things that the residents tell you on the tour? any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

basic tips (and this is in no way all-encompassing)...

-check out the website... see what they seem to be 'big' on; most programs have a few key areas that their faculty seem to be most interested in. perhaps one of the facilities that you'll be at is similar to where you eventually want your career to be. do a speedy medline search on the PD, APD, chief, etc... and talk up their research (if you get the chance)...

-if your med school has placed anyone at that program, or has had people interview there in the past, get a hold of them and ask how they answered this kind of question.

-don't forget to place yourself in these responses. e.g. "i like your program because of X; and this fits with my strengths/goals/etc because of Y." if you make it sound like you're already a lock for the program, i think they'll be more responsive (my interviews were)...

just a few thoughts.
-t,md

gentamicin said:
hi,

how do you guys respond to the interview question "why this program?", if you know absolutely nothing about the program? where do you get information about a program in order to answer this question? is it enough to look up the program's website? do you just mention some things that the residents tell you on the tour? any advice is appreciated.

thanks

gentamicin said:
hi,

thanks

If you know nothing about the program, why are you interviewing there?

If I interview a candidate for our program who knows nothing about it, then my mental evaluation will begin with the impression: "Absolutely desperate to match ANYPLACE--must be a real loser!" :thumbdown:

Try to avoid walking into a program not knowing anything about it. You had to have a reason to apply there, right? If not, look at the website, Google the faculty, talk to your home program's PD to get the skinny. If you have difficulty finding out anything about the program beforehand, just act interested and open-minded and try to learn as much as you can during the day, and that enthusiasm should come across.

Just a question. I was encouraged to apply to a program that I'm interviewing at on Tuesday by a family friend who happens to be a cardiologist at this site (although this is not the sole reason I applied). In answering the question "why did you apply to this program," would it be in bad taste to mention that I was encouraged to apply by the cardiologist or should I not mention this fact at all?

On a simliar note: the PD at the program I eventually matched at asked "Why are you applying here?" I just told them that a friend had interviewed there the year before and told me that if it weren't for family matters, he would have ranked them #1 instead of #2. He recommend that I check it out b/c he thought it was an amazing place to train.

Read the website. Most programs have a few distinctive things they brag about that you can point out if you get asked this question.