Interview Question!

Started by tatiyana
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tatiyana

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I have just joined and I think this network is great!
Anyways, I have 4 interviews coming up and there's one question that I am a little nervous about.
I know some schools ask whether we have thought about medicine and why we didn't pursue that career.

I am not a fan of blood or vomit and I do not want to bend over looking inside mouths all day (it is not physically desirable for me as a career).
Additionally, I do not want my patients to be scared of me. I know many of us have been scared to see our doctor or dentist. So I want that open/comfortable relationship with my patients (optometry is a career that will provide that...I mean who is scared to see their optometrist?)

So I am not sure what to say when I am asked this question??
Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
 
tatiyana said:
Hello,
I have just joined and I think this network is great!
Anyways, I have 4 interviews coming up and there's one question that I am a little nervous about.
I know some schools ask whether we have thought about medicine and why we didn't pursue that career.

I am not a fan of blood or vomit and I do not want to bend over looking inside mouths all day (it is not physically desirable for me as a career).
Additionally, I do not want my patients to be scared of me. I know many of us have been scared to see our doctor or dentist. So I want that open/comfortable relationship with my patients (optometry is a career that will provide that...I mean who is scared to see their optometrist?)

So I am not sure what to say when I am asked this question??
Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Welcome to sdn, tatiana! 🙂

I think those are some of the same reasons a lot of people go into optometry! I think those are fine answers to give if you're asked why you choose optometry over medicine.

Good luck with your interviews, keep us posted! :luck:
 
I agree. Those definetly contributed to my choosing of Optometry over Medicine and other routes. It is just the best fit for me🙂
 
I feel the same. I didn't think either that, that was a good answer but now hearing from everyone else...It's most likely the excuse I'll use too if asked.