Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mysteree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's are two tricky questions..I'd appreciate it if you guys could suggest some ways to answer them. Thanks in advance.

1)If you're accepted everywhere that you've applied, then where'd you go?

Now, if it's an out of state school asking this, how do we not say that we'd rather go to our state school? Money, being an obvious reason for that choice. But how do you not make that school feel slighted, after all they've called you in for an interview.

2)What will it take for you to attend school X?

Members don't see this ad.

Mysteree said:
1)If you're accepted everywhere that you've applied, then where'd you go?

Now, if it's an out of state school asking this, how do we not say that we'd rather go to our state school? Money, being an obvious reason for that choice. But how do you not make that school feel slighted, after all they've called you in for an interview.

I think when a school asks this, they are basically wanting to know if you are really serious about their school, or if its a backup. No one likes being a backup. I think if at all possible, make them think they are your top choice. If at all possible, is key. ie. If you have a 4.0, 26 avg DATs, are from California, found a cure to oral cancer, and you applied to all schools, and tell like NYU (just for example purposes) that they are your #1, they may not believe you, which can hurt you as well.

I think they appropriate answer to this question, would use the response to your second question. You need to say I really want to go to your school, BECAUSE, X, Y, Z. If you can give them unique reasons, that make them think that you have actually thought about it, I think its a huge plus. Good luck!

ToothMonster said:
I think when a school asks this, they are basically wanting to know if you are really serious about their school, or if its a backup. No one likes being a backup. I think if at all possible, make them think they are your top choice. If at all possible, is key. ie. If you have a 4.0, 26 avg DATs, are from California, found a cure to oral cancer, and you applied to all schools, and tell like NYU (just for example purposes) that they are your #1, they may not believe you, which can hurt you as well.

I think they appropriate answer to this question, would use the response to your second question. You need to say I really want to go to your school, BECAUSE, X, Y, Z. If you can give them unique reasons, that make them think that you have actually thought about it, I think its a huge plus. Good luck!

Thanks Toothmonster, that's good advice. I'll try and do that, though it will be walking a thin line. By the way congrats on all your acceptances!