Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickad88

Pre-Dent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If they ask you why you want to be a dentist, and your PS already covered it, should you just restate what you said in your PS or would that be too redundant?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt assume that the interview remembers every detail from your PS. My very first interviewer had barely read anything besides my LORs and transcript.

Don't be afraid to pull out your strengths that you may have already mentioned in your application. My first interview felt like the equivalent of speed-dating, and I was not prepared to give 20 sec answers instead of 3 min answers.

Anybody can write a PS well, but can you sell yourself in person?

I have found that in a general sense, my interviewers had read some of my application. However, I felt that they remembered mainly general things, such as life experiences. I think that it is a good idea to just be yourself and tell them why you want to be a dentist. Stories are how people will remember you...so I like to tell a quick story about when I decided that dentistry was right for me. Either way, just be yourself...most interviewers are looking to see if you have communication skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they ask you why you want to be a dentist, and your PS already covered it, should you just restate what you said in your PS or would that be too redundant?

I've been to 5 interviews so far, and EVERY single one of them didn't remember the fact that I am a software engineer and that is the FIRST sentence in my PS haha

My conclution (and my opinion based on above evidence), the PS is read by someone, but NOT by the person interviewing you

I know that at least for my interview the interviewers had read my PS. They were pulling quotes from it, so it seemed like they'd been pretty thorough about looking it over! Still, I don't see the harm in reiterating what you wrote, just rephrase it/elaborate on it to give a little new perspective.

Maybe they want to filter out people who are lying in their essays? Just be yourself, be truthful. =)

thank you for the great replies. Ill just be myself and just answer truthfully since that is what i did in my PS. GL to everyone in future interviews