Interview Questions Based Off Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustInYurEyez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first interview is with Western which is on Friday, so if anyone is also attending the interview I hope to see you there! I also have an interview with Midwestern IL on Monday so it is going to be a busy weekend for me.. On to the topic question!

I have looked at the interview feedback section on SDN and it was a little helpful but very broad as well. I have spoken to many people that have interviewed at Western and they have all said it was more of a personal interview experience. I was just wondering based on anyone that has interviewed anywhere in general, and not necessarily the schools I am interviewing with if they ask questions more based on experience? I have worked as an optometric technician for the past three and half years and I would just want to be prepared if they asked me anything specific about what I've done including the types of instruments I've used and how specific they would go into it? I wouldn't expect them to ask an applicant that does not have a lot of optometric experience these types of questions but wondering if it was something that those who had a good amount of experience got questions like that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So my first interview is with Western which is on Friday, so if anyone is also attending the interview I hope to see you there! I also have an interview with Midwestern IL on Monday so it is going to be a busy weekend for me.. On to the topic question!

I have looked at the interview feedback section on SDN and it was a little helpful but very broad as well. I have spoken to many people that have interviewed at Western and they have all said it was more of a personal interview experience. I was just wondering based on anyone that has interviewed anywhere in general, and not necessarily the schools I am interviewing with if they ask questions more based on experience? I have worked as an optometric technician for the past three and half years and I would just want to be prepared if they asked me anything specific about what I've done including the types of instruments I've used and how specific they would go into it? I wouldn't expect them to ask an applicant that does not have a lot of optometric experience these types of questions but wondering if it was something that those who had a good amount of experience got questions like that?

Thanks!
Hey! I just wanted to start out with I know interviews are nerve-racking but, you got this! The schools already liked something about you from your application and now this is a chance for them to get to know you :). You have a busy weekend coming up so I wanted to reassure you and make you feel better. Anyways on to the info you really want. I interviewed at Midwestern this past Monday and it was a great experience. You're with them alllll day and the interview is only 15-20mins of it. The faculty is extremely nice and the interview is very conversational. The questions are very easy, they're not trying to trick you. They asked me the same ones that others have mentioned on this site why optometry, why cco, and do you think your gpa and oat are a good representation of who you are as a student. I was the one to bring up my skills because I had a funny story about my skill sets test I had to take when I was taking my certification to become a certified ophthalmic technician. So I don't think you need to worry about they grilling you about what you've done or what instruments you've worked with. They did ask me what was the most difficult case I dealt with at work (I've worked at an integrated ophthalmology practice (MDs/ODs) for 7 years) so maybe think of something just in case they ask you. That's the intel I have for you. But just go in and try to enjoy yourself (I know it's not easy to do that) and show them your passion for optometry :) Good luck at Western on Friday and Midwestern on Monday. I wanna hear how well they went!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I just wanted to start out with I know interviews are nerve-racking but, you got this! The schools already liked something about you from your application and now this is a chance for them to get to know you :). You have a busy weekend coming up so I wanted to reassure you and make you feel better. Anyways on to the info you really want. I interviewed at Midwestern this past Monday and it was a great experience. You're with them alllll day and the interview is only 15-20mins of it. The faculty is extremely nice and the interview is very conversational. The questions are very easy, they're not trying to trick you. They asked me the same ones that others have mentioned on this site why optometry, why cco, and do you think your gpa and oat are a good representation of who you are as a student. I was the one to bring up my skills because I had a funny story about my skill sets test I had to take when I was taking my certification to become a certified ophthalmic technician. So I don't think you need to worry about they grilling you about what you've done or what instruments you've worked with. They did ask me what was the most difficult case I dealt with at work (I've worked at an integrated ophthalmology practice (MDs/ODs) for 7 years) so maybe think of something just in case they ask you. That's the intel I have for you. But just go in and try to enjoy yourself (I know it's not easy to do that) and show them your passion for optometry :) Good luck at Western on Friday and Midwestern on Monday. I wanna hear how well they went!!
Ahhh thank you so much for the encouragement and advice! Very helpful, thank you so much!