Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know of sites/threads/first hand experience where one can find questions typically asked in surgical residency interviews?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Does anyone know of sites/threads/first hand experience where one can find questions typically asked in surgical residency interviews?

Thanks.

Hmmm...probably here. Have you tried doing a search for interviews on SDN?

If you have and haven't found anything, I"m not sure that typical questions extends beyond...

"tell me about yourself"
"why do you want to be a surgeon"
"tell me about this research you did during medical school"
"could you live in ____ (name city X)?"
"how do you feel about the work hour restrictions?" ( a Catch-22 question, if there ever was one).
"Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"
"Why do you want to come here?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...probably here. Have you tried doing a search for interviews on SDN?

If you have and haven't found anything, I"m not sure that typical questions extends beyond...

"tell me about yourself"
"why do you want to be a surgeon"
"tell me about this research you did during medical school"
"could you live in ____ (name city X)?"
"how do you feel about the work hour restrictions?" ( a Catch-22 question, if there ever was one).
"Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"
"Why do you want to come here?"

I'm going to add in the zinger I got right out of the box last year on my first interview, "Why General Surgery? And, as a woman, how do you feel about the demands of time especially if you have other obligations like a family?"

True story.
:)

You will see the time-honored questions like: strengths, weaknesses, why here, what about family, other stuff you do, research, etc, etc, etc. Just be ready for these run-of-the-mill questions. If you screw up one of the easy ones, it looks really bad.

As far as the less common, or maybe more difficult questions, some that I came across were:

Tell me about the most interesting general surgery operation you participated in recently?

Describe what research project you would embark on? this one came up at most of the required research programs.

Tell me about yourself? This one came from a surgeon who told me that he prefers not to look at the application before the interview! Talk about an open ended question.

How have each of your parents influenced your life?

There are so many questions, and I'll probably remember more, but hopefully you get the idea that anything is fair game.

Another good resource is the first few pages of Advanced Surgical Recall. Take a look. It's a pretty comprehensive list of potential questions.

I'm going to add in the zinger I got right out of the box last year on my first interview, "Why General Surgery? And, as a woman, how do you feel about the demands of time especially if you have other obligations like a family?"

True story.
:)

What do you want to bet the male applicants were never asked that question?!

My only "zinger" was: tell me the contents of Lactated Ringers. As if I'd ever looked at the label.:laugh:

At my fellowship interviews last year one interview started with:

"if you could be any kind of flower, what kind would you be and why".

Isn't that the stupidest question you've ever heard??

:thumbup: Hi. Thanks for all the replies!

i would be a dandelion... so that my progeny can spread like a weed and take over the face of the earth.

j/k

Reactions: 1 user

I would be the roses in a prom corsage so that years after I had given off my last waft of dusky scent, I would be preserved in my faded beauty, nestled against some baby's breath, amongst an elderly woman's most cherished memories.:laugh:

When asked to present a case during an interview, someone told me that we can present a technically complicated case to showcase our mental faculties, or present a social case to highlight our sensitivity and ability to see all aspects of patient care. This advice was given as a general tip for all residency interviews. I was wondering if anyone had any input as to what a general surgeon would prefer to discuss during a gen surg interview. Thanks in advance to anyone with any input!

I would be the roses in a prom corsage so that years after I had given off my last waft of dusky scent, I would be preserved in my faded beauty, nestled against some baby's breath, amongst an elderly woman's most cherished memories.:laugh:

That was both poetic and creepy at the same time....strong work.

I would be that flower was in "Little Shop of Horrors". I could devour any unsuspecting person who got too close and then bloom with their photos in each blossom so that they could be remembered. Of course, I would need loads of hot sauce; can't eat meat or eggs without the stuff. Texas Pete, Sirachi, Chipotle Tabasco; I love them all.

Strange question but I am glad you posted it.

no,no,no, The answer is......

A LONG STEM RED ROSE

chicks dig roses:) :)