Interview questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonoaudiologo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

It's been a while since I've last posted on here. I hope everyone's doing great!

I received some good news last week and one of the programs I applied to scheduled me an interview for next Friday, January 28th.

I was wondering if anyone that has already attended an admissions interview could give me an idea of what kinds of questions they ask.
I understand that all schools are different..any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Good luck to everyone applying and all those already in a program.

Thanks,
-B

Members don't see this ad.

What school is it? I don't think any of the schools I applied to require an interview...

Hey dg2b,

I applied to several schools in the southeast and the one that scheduled me the interview for this week was Nova Southeastern in Ft. Lauderdale. Do you know anything about the program? I wish you the best

Members don't see this ad :)
@fonoaudiologo: Hi! How did your interview go with NOVA? Did you hear back from any other schools regarding interviews or campus visit?

Question to whoever has an answer or an opinion:
Doesn't campus visit or interviews usually happen after you get your acceptance letter? It seems like some people did numerous campus visits already and I'm kinda concerned. Did these students just go on their own or did they get an invitation?

Should I be worried? :scared:

Interviews are not that common. Only two (JMU and UNC, who have both requested interviews) of my eight schools had interviews so it is not a concern if you didn't get asked for an interview unless you know that school gives interviews. I have been on visits to three of the schools I have applied to but that has nothing to do with being accepted. If the school has visits you can go before or after acceptance. I went to these three before to check them out and get an idea of the program. Some schools do have visit days for admitted students that would you would be wise to attend if invited. The only interviews that are conducted after being admitted would be concerning an assistantship where you would interview with that specific professor. So there is no need to be concerned about interviews or campus visits unless the school you are applying to has them as part of the application process. So if a school you applied to gives interviews and you didn't get one than you didn't not make it past the first screening process and will thus not be admitted.

@fonoaudiologo: Hi! How did your interview go with NOVA? Did you hear back from any other schools regarding interviews or campus visit?

Question to whoever has an answer or an opinion:
Doesn't campus visit or interviews usually happen after you get your acceptance letter? It seems like some people did numerous campus visits already and I'm kinda concerned. Did these students just go on their own or did they get an invitation?

Should I be worried? :scared:

Hey CaliAud! How are you? :)

Everything went really well with the interview with NOVA, thanks for asking. I was really nervous at first, but the admissions committee made me feel really comfortable. Another thing that I found really interesting about the whole process was that everyone there that showed up for the interview was really nice and personable. I was really impressed...it wasn't ultra-competitive or anything. I noticed that about my undergrad program too... Everyone that I've met so far that's wanted to go into audiology or SLP has been super nice and has had a great personality.

There were about 15 of us total, and from what I'm guessing it was just another step in the screening process. I think NOVA is going to have a few more interview sessions before they make their final decisions as well. (I could be wrong though)

I also believe eastr90 is correct...most programs don't conduct interviews from what I've heard, so I wouldn't worry at all.

I wish you the best! Good luck with everything. :)

-B

@eastr90: You know, you're absolutely right. I checked and realized that only TWO schools(from my list) actually mention interviews BEFORE the application deadline. Others, such as ASU and CMU mention interviews but AFTER the admissions.

@fonoaudiologo: So, 15 finalists eh? :) Glad it went well!! Was it an individual interview? How many people were interviewing you and how long? Did you have to fly out for a day? (sorry.. bombarding you with so many Qs :p)