Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPoinT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Someone put this list of potential questions up last cycle so I copied it down just for reference. Some are PT specific, some are random. Here ya go:

1. Why do you want to be a PT?
2. Why not medical school/PA school/etc?
3. What are some issues going on in PT right now?
4. How do you think you are going to be able to handle the course load and demands of PT school?
5. How do you feel PT's help their patients?
6. What experiences have influenced your opinion of PT in a positive/negative way?
7. What don't you like about PT?
8. What skills do you think are important to have as a PT?
9. What do you think you can contribute to our program?
10. What are your strengths/weaknesses?
11. Tell me about a time in which you were in a problem and how you solved it.
12. Tell me about a time when you failed.
13. What are your plans if PT school doesn't work out?
14. Do you have any questions for me?
15. How well do you work in groups? What is an example of when you took charge of a group?
16. Give an example of a time when a conflict arose in a group and how did you handle it?
17. When is a time you had a lot on your plate and how did you handle it?
18. What have you learned from your clinical experience?
19. Where do you see yourself ending up? Where did you see yourself in 5 years?
20. What is something people tell you that you need to work on?
21. What qualities do you see in yourself that relate to you as a professional?
22. What is your definition of a professional?
23. What is the most difficult decision you've had to make and how did you arrive at your decision?
24. When is a time that you had to overcome a challenge?
25. What is your greatest accomplishment?
26. When did you have to do something that you did not agree with?
27. Explain why some of your prerequisite grades were a little bit lower than your other grades?
28. What is something positive that has resulted from managed care?
29. How would you choose who would receive life-saving care, such as dialysis, first?
30. Tell us about your experience in (overseas study).
31. Would you play on our softball team? If so, what position would you play?
32. What would you bring to a potluck after the game?
33. Suppose you walk into a hospital room to work with a patient and she refused becauseher favorite soap is on. What would you do?
34. Why did you choose to pursue PT instead of another health profession such as a doctor or nurse?
35. As a PT, what duties would you assign a PT assistant that you wouldn't an aide?

Last edited:
Tagging this for a few months from now :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview next week...and am trying to prepare as much as possible. Any great advice from those of you who have started PT school this year and went through interviews last year? I realize I can't prepare for every question, but want to avoid being thrown a complete curve ball. Also, I did look over those questions posted above in this thread.

I was sort of thrown a curve ball at my interview. My interview essay question was "What are the advantages and disadvantages to our healthcare system." And you are given I think 35 minutes to answer... Other people had "what are the main differences between PT and OT?"

My interview questions at SA where: Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to do PT? What qualities do you have that would make you a good PT? What do you do to relax? If you had 15 minutes of free time in your day, how would you spend it? What is a current legislative issue that relates to our field that gets you motivated/excited?

And then she of course asked if we had any questions.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

definitely tagging this for that list of obvious, yet cohesive list of questions! :p

I can't remember my interviews that well (I was so nervous that I think I blocked it out :laugh: ) but I do remember being asked about Vision 2020, and I was asked "If you caught another student cheating while in our program, would you report them?" I was also asked to describe my most difficult and most rewarding patient encounters I had during my time volunteering. I was also asked several of those questions on the list. My best advice is to prepare and do some mock interviews. Also, as cliche as it sounds, just be yourself. They are trying to find the best fit for their program. They most likely know you are academically sound since they granted you the interview, now just let your personality show :)