Interview Rate slower than last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedpower8484848

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just talked to a colleague who knows an ex-ADCOM and she said that according to the ex-ADCOM many schools have been slower sending out interviews this year compared to the last few. I thought that was interesting because I feel that both personally and from what I have been hearing from my friends and SDN it doesn’t seem like September has been that prolific so far in terms of interviews sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
It seems like a lot actually got sent in August?

Reactions: 7 users
Just talked to a colleague who knows an ex-ADCOM and she said that according to the ex-ADCOM many schools have been slower sending out interviews this year compared to the last few. I thought that was interesting because I feel that both personally and from what I have been hearing from my friends and SDN it doesn’t seem like September has been that prolific so far in terms of interviews sent out.

I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT.
Fingers crossed

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like a lot actually got sent in August?

August interviews are sent out for either elite applicants or for schools like USC or Tulane that like to love fast. SDN has a lot of elite applicants. However, a bulk of the interviews haven’t been sent out and should be sent out between now and the second week of November.

Reactions: 2 users
August interviews are sent out for either elite applicants or for schools like USC or Tulane that like to love fast. SDN has a lot of elite applicants. However, a bulk of the interviews haven’t been sent out and should be sent out between now and the second week of November.

Especially disappointed about USC KECK :<
Silence all the way for me

Reactions: 3 users

* Like to go fast.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry but at this point I’ve been on SDN so long that I thought peak season was now (mid-September). Curious, when is it then?
You have a WARS of 84, you've applied to 24 schools, and you only have 1 II (I'm not counting the .5 lol, you either have an II or not). If it truly was peak season, I would think that you would have more than 1 II... Have more faith in yourself, based on your results alone (I'm assuming you have nothing going against you and that you didn't make a terrible school list), I would say it's not peak season just yet.

I’m not necessarily being neurotic and worried for myself, so sorry if it came off that way.

Moko just said it wasn’t peak season, and I was sincerely just curious about when it was lol. No hidden neuroticism or likewise behind my question :cool:
I would assume late Sept. maybe? I do have to admit that this cycle seems to be going very slow... It's like only the same people on here who are getting II, and there's like no one on reddit hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry but at this point I’ve been on SDN so long that I thought peak season was now (mid-September). Curious, when is it then?
Late September at my school, but interviews will continue to be offered at a substantial rate through October, before slowing down in early November.

Reactions: 8 users
Late September at my school, but interviews will continue to be offered at a substantial rate through October, before slowing down in early November.

If a school is already giving out II's for January right now like USC-keck, and someone didnt get one, is it safe to assume they have been passed over?

If a school is already giving out II's for January right now like USC-keck, and someone didnt get one, is it safe to assume they have been passed over?
Interview season doesn’t end in January, but chances are shrinking for that particular school.

Reactions: 4 users
October or November: schools get 5,000+ applications and can only go thru at most 500 a week when at full capacity, which doesnt happen until September. It can take 4-16 weeks (1-4 months) to have an application screened, evaluated and reviewed for II

As someone above mentioned, what about schools that have interview dates available right now for only January? Like NYMC? Are chances low here now?

Depends. After October 15th, there will be people who get acceptances and can be more selective with what interviews they wanna attend. I'm guessing that if they start to drop interviews, then maybe those slots will open up for other students to interview for.

Totally a guess, I'm an applicant, so I have no idea how true this is lol
Depends. After October 15th, there will be people who get acceptances and can be more selective with what interviews they wanna attend. I'm guessing that if they start to drop interviews, then maybe those slots will open up for other students to interview for.

Totally a guess, I'm an applicant, so I have no idea how true this is lol

This sounds reasonable to me. Perhaps it might be more true for mid tier and lower tier schools that top applicants view as “safeties” or such. And then if if thy happen to get an acceptance at their top choice, they will forfeit their swath of II dates for the rest of the cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. UCLA’s website imply they would like to start concluding interviews in November.
UCLA admissions have gone through some significant changes in recent years. The data posted are from the 2017-2018 cycle.

What do they say

On their admissions timeline they indicate interview season to be Aug-Nov, with a fine print that says they interview until their class is filled. This surprised me because most schools say they interview until Jan, Feb, March, regardless of when they actually intend to stop interviewing. This feels like an implication that they will put an effort to end earlier.

Reactions: 1 users